The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 28, 2017, 03:55 PM   #1
TonyD3

Idea for 6.5 Wildcat AR Round

I've been looking at a concept for a wildcat for the AR15 platform. I have always been enamored with the 6.5 Creedmore, but not so much the AR10 platform.

What about a 6.5 round in a .284 Winchester case cut down to same length as the 6.5 Grendel so as to work in the AR15?

In comparing the proposed case with the Grendel, I am estimating it will have about a 27% greater case capacity, so around 44 grains total. (Mid-full range powder charges for the Creedmore.)

The 450 Bushmaster is based on the .284 Winchester case, so bolt heads and mags will be no issue.

Your thoughts?

Tony D
Old July 28, 2017, 08:15 PM   #2
ed308

Sounds similar to the 6mm Lynx. It's based off a 6.5x47 Lupua case with the shoulder pushed back and case blown out. Neck reaming and turning is required. Holds 44 grs of powder. You can also make the brass from .308 brass. There's a bunch of wildcats based off the the Lupua case: 270AR, 7mm Valkyrie, 257 Bobcat, and 22 Hellcats. All are limited by the AR15's magwell size (around 2.295") and the bolt. You can load a little longer by using a mag with the front cut out. I use one on my 270AR and can load past 3". All of the wildcats listed use a larger bolt with a machined x39 extractor. It's larger compared to the Grendel/x39 bolt. Whether that Grendel/x39 bolt could handle 44 grs of powder is questionable. The Grendel is already on the edge of the limit when it comes to the bolt.

Last edited by ed308; July 28, 2017 at 08:32 PM.
Old July 29, 2017, 01:48 AM   #3
stagpanther

I recently built a 458 socom and it shoots big bullets with big charges very well--but I can't seem escape an intuitive feeling whenever I use it that the lightweight AR platform just wasn't meant for that much power. My sweet spot for cats is around 30 to 35 gr max charges in cats based on cases like the 6.8 or grendel--and I anticipate what will be coming from Nosler's 22.

Just because a bullet and case design can fit in an AR 15 mag doesn't necessarily mean it will be smooth sailing, that long pointy bullet has to be stripped from the mag, pitched at an angle up the ramp amp and extension and then jammed into the chamber straight. In my strictly hobbiest opinion, the original 5.56 design and ones similar to it--like the 6.8 spc--work very well for a reason.