The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 23, 2017, 05:37 AM   #1
Wendyj

Anyone own a Model 670 Carbine

I was browsing for a Model 70 yesterday and didn't find any in a caliber I wanted. Came across a Model 670. Thought it was sawed off until I googled it later. Price was in low 400s. Caliber was 270 win. Felt like it had had trigger work done to it. Probably would have bought it but guns bluing was still perfect the muzzle crown was silver colored and just didn't set right.
Old July 23, 2017, 07:38 AM   #2
Jack O'Conner

I bought a Winchester 670 in 30-06 and had it re-bored to 35 Whelen. Barrel length is 22 inches. It is a very good shooter and powerful, too. I sent it to Magna Port in Michigan and they formed four slots near the muzzle which eliminated muzzle jump and reduced the recoil.

The 670 was Winchester's slightly cheaper line of the model 70 and was built during 1960-70s.

Jack

Last edited by Jack O'Conner; July 24, 2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old July 23, 2017, 08:58 AM   #3
Wendyj

I googled a little this morning. Seems like a 19 inch barrel in 270 a tad short but I'm not sure how long it takes to burn the powder up in distance.
Old July 23, 2017, 01:50 PM   #4
taylorce1

With a 19" barrel you'll get more bang and flash from the 3" shorter barrel. It'll also mean that you'll any get around 2900 fps from 130 grain ammunition instead of the normal 3060 fps. A 19" carbine will make a quick handy rifle to use, and it'll still work very well for the majority of big game hunting.

I also own a M670 in .30-06 and it's just a basic solid hunting rifle. I got mine as a barreled action on the cheap. I managed to find an old Winchester Winlite factory stock that were built by McMillan to put it in for another $150.
Old July 23, 2017, 01:55 PM   #5
jmr40

All the powder in any rifle cartridge is burned within just a few inches. All cartridges continue to pick up speed in longer barrels though because even though all the powder is burned it continues to build pressure behind the bullet. At least to a point. Any gains in velocity with barrels longer than 22-24" are very minimal. And down to 18" or so losses are quite minimal. Somewhere between about 20" up to 24" is the sweet spot and why most barrels fall into that range.

Some cartridges are more efficient from shorter barrels. A 270 loses a little more speed than say a 308, but the difference is a lot less than most think. A 308 might be 50-75 fps slower from a 20" vs 24" barrel. A 270 might be 75-100 fps slower.

The biggest disadvantage to shorter barrels is more muzzle blast.

Winston Churchill
Old August 5, 2017, 08:52 AM   #6
smee78

I have a Sears Ted Williams (Winchester 670) in 30-06 and it is a solid rifle. If the cut and crown job was a clean one then I would not care if it was cut down a little, the loss of a few FPS here would not deter me if I were looking for a nice 270. The price sounds good for a solid rifle, finding older quality wood and steel rifles are getting harder and harder to find at a good price. I of course would haggle a little but for me that's just part of the fun.