The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Which one would you buy?
Beretta 92 52 37.41%
CZ-75 87 62.59%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 12, 2017, 10:14 PM   #1
Model12Win

CZ-75 vs Beretta 92?

Hi all! I am looking for a solid frame 9mm double stack DA/SA service pistol. I have some experience with the Beretta M9 from shooting it in the military. I do like the gun but my experiences have been qualifying with it a few times and that's about it.

I have heard many good things about the CZ-75. Many say it fits the hand nicely and is just a solid gun. I do not have any experience with one though so don't know.

Which should I go with guys? This will be for home defense and fun at the range. Thanks!
Old July 12, 2017, 10:29 PM   #2
Lost River

That is entirely up to you and what YOU perform best with. I have spent time with both. Both are quality guns, but I own only one. A CZ-75.

The Beretta is entirely too big for my tastes, for the amount of rounds it holds, as compared to, say a G19. It is a very easy gun to shoot well though. But the CZ is also very easy to shoot well and I find it conceals much better, and I simply enjoy it more.

What works for me, may not be best for you though.
Old July 12, 2017, 10:31 PM   #3
5whiskey

Hmm... Well CZ for me. A 92 is on my own list one day though. Praying they cycle out to us via CMP (but not holding !y breath)
Old July 12, 2017, 10:41 PM   #4
Model12Win

I like the M9 well enough from handling and shooting them, but I will say now that I think of it they feel quite large in the grip region, as I have heard some say. I wonder if the CZ-75 doesn't feel so fat in that area?
Old July 12, 2017, 11:14 PM   #5
DubC-Hicks

I own both. And would never sell either.

That said, I bought the M9 first. And if I could only have 1, it'd be the M9. The aftermarket is better, the trigger is better out of the box, and takes a $5 spring to make even better. The trigger reach is also shorter if having short fingers is a concern. The CZ75 double action trigger reach is loooong.

The CZ75 does feel slimmer in the grip though, and likely more comfortable for most people. They have a tendency to break slide stop pins, but Beretta's break locking blocks after while too. CZs also have a small amount of slide real estate to grab, which some people complain about during manipulations. And the Beretta has the decocker/safety in the way during slide manipulations.
Old July 12, 2017, 11:42 PM   #6
MMitch

The CZ just points so naturally for me. The incredibly low bore axis makes the gun a dream at the range. Whatever you end up with make sure you get a rail on it for some kind of light. Don't want to be shooting the wrong thing.
Old July 13, 2017, 02:36 AM   #7
Hal

CZ 75 - - all the way - all day long....

The CZ75 B has the same feel(to me anyhow) as a S&W K frame w/square butt & oversized target grips.

OTOH - the 92 feels bloated in my hands.
Old July 13, 2017, 07:29 AM   #8
amd6547

Between those two, Beretta 92FS without a doubt.
Old July 13, 2017, 07:50 AM   #9
Skans

CZ 75B. The Beretta isn't even a consideration for me. I hate the look, feel, alloy frame composition and locking design of the Beretta.
Old July 13, 2017, 07:52 AM   #10
ATN082268

I have the CZ-75 and Beretta 92. If I had to pick one, I'd go with the Beretta but only if it was the G model (decocker only).
Old July 13, 2017, 09:07 AM   #11
Pilot

I have both, and like both, but if I HAD to sell one it would be the Beretta. I am more accurate with the CZ. They are both excellent pistols.
Old July 13, 2017, 09:49 AM   #12
Rogervzv

I have both the CZ75 (a B and a BD) and two Berettas (an M9a1 and a 92fs).

Both are fine guns; you won't go wrong with either.

The CZ75 is my favorite, however. It is all-steel, built like a tank, and above all, significantly more accurate and easy to shoot than the Beretta. To get the most out of a CZ you need to do a trigger job on it. Cost me about $100/gun and well worth it.

In a shoot out with a friend, both the Beretta and the 92fs outshot the Sig P226 by the way. Just sayin'.
Old July 13, 2017, 09:59 AM   #13
JL Wesson

I have a Beretta and used it for IDPA like matches. I like it for the grip in my hand (enhanced with rubber grips vs the plastic standard ones but I have big hands too). Compared to the CZ all my shooting fellows use, the Beretta can also be racked sling-shot stile or from the bevel/tapering end of the slide while the smaller, thinner slide on CZs is always racked hand-over as far as I could see from the handling of my fellow shooters. I do admit safety levers are a nuisance but it is possible to switch to a "G" style version.
My Beretta never failed or jammed whatever round I put in while I could see many stoppages with the CZs. Those could be related to weak loads used for competition: defensive loads would not have that issue I guess. I also saw CZs blocked for breaking the pin of the slide stop: I was told it is a critical point of the system and need good lubrification. I was also reported of Beretta blocks cracking but still have to see that; anyway it should show damages before failing and it is readily available as spare part.
Made it short my vote goes to Beretta!
Old July 13, 2017, 10:35 AM   #14
tallball

I own one of each and so does my shooting buddy. We both like the Berettas, but prefer the CZ-75's. I own six 9mm pistols, and the CZ-75 is my favorite. As soon as he shot mine, my friend started shopping for one.
Old July 13, 2017, 01:21 PM   #15
sigarms228

Quote:
Hi all! I am looking for a solid frame 9mm double stack DA/SA service pistol. I have some experience with the Beretta M9 from shooting it in the military. I do like the gun but my experiences have been qualifying with it a few times and that's about it.

I have heard many good things about the CZ-75. Many say it fits the hand nicely and is just a solid gun. I do not have any experience with one though so don't know.

Which should I go with guys? This will be for home defense and fun at the range. Thanks!
They are both well proven pistols with a lot of fans for each. IMO your best bet is to try and shoot both and then make your decision. If you can't do that you may want to side with what you know, the Beretta 92FS/M9 since you have a favorable opinion of it.

One thing to keep in mind with the CZ75 is you get get it either with a safety or with a decocker but not both like you can with the Beretta 92FS/M9.
Old July 13, 2017, 02:40 PM   #16
JDBerg

I've shot my CZ 75B 9mm alongside my friend's M9 enough times to say that these guns are so close in accuracy and reliability that it would be great to own both, but difficult to give up one for the other. On the other hand, I'd take the 96FS INOX I had a chance to try out, over the .40S&W 75B I once had, any day of the week!
Old July 13, 2017, 02:49 PM   #17
mr bolo

The Beretta 92 is my first choice, I just like the way it feels,the quality, the reliability, the long service life, chrome lined bore. (US service pistol)

Ive always been a fan of Beretta firearms

the CZ feels a little cruder, heavier, with a low profile slide design, I like the open slide design on the Beretta.
Old July 13, 2017, 03:23 PM   #18
jmr40

I've had both. Wouldn't touch either again, there are so many better options. But between the 2 options, Beretta. I felt the CZ-75 was way overhyped on the internet. In the real world it isn't well thought of. It is crudely built with a poor trigger. The slide inside the frame is very difficult to operate and they have had spotty quality over the years.

But to be fair, even with the poor trigger accuracy is above average. When they were a $300 gun it might have been worth the issues, but they are priced right with Sig and Beretta now.

Winston Churchill
Old July 13, 2017, 04:47 PM   #19
muzzleblast...

I have both and like both. Beretta has the better trigger. CZ feels better in the hand and points better. If it were an "either or" kinda of thing, I'd have to keep the CZ.
Old July 13, 2017, 05:27 PM   #20
Model12Win

I am seeing what is being called a Beretta "92S" for sale as surplus handguns. Advertised in excellent condition for $299. It has a heel mag release which doesn't bother me and round triggerguard but I don't use the guard as a support when shooting as some do and I think it looks good.

Wonder if I should get it?
Old July 13, 2017, 05:51 PM   #21
RickB

I'd choose the CZ for the cocked 'n' locked option and Browning Hi-Powerish grip.
The 92 is a REALLY big gun, and I can't abide DA/SA.

My experience with the CZ has been brief, and with various "Shadow" models, which are possibly more refined than mill-run CZ75s.
Old July 13, 2017, 05:59 PM   #22
reynolds357

I own both. Of those two, I narrowly prefer the Beretta. I also own the CZ 75 SP-01. I greatly prefer the SP-01 to the Beretta.
Old July 13, 2017, 06:08 PM   #23
dgludwig

Quote:
I own both. And would never sell either.

That said, I bought the M9 first. And if I could only have 1, it'd be the M9. The aftermarket is better, the trigger is better out of the box, and takes a $5 spring to make even better. The trigger reach is also shorter if having short fingers is a concern. The CZ75 double action trigger reach is loooong.

The CZ75 does feel slimmer in the grip though, and likely more comfortable for most people. They have a tendency to break slide stop pins, but Beretta's break locking blocks after while too. CZs also have a small amount of slide real estate to grab, which some people complain about during manipulations. And the Beretta has the decocker/safety in the way during slide manipulations.
Everything DubC-Hicks says above reflects my exact point of view; including the "if I only have one" choice-as hard as it would be to make. But we still live in America and I can happily still have both.
Old July 13, 2017, 06:17 PM   #24
DaleA

The $300 price tag would probably be the deciding factor for me to get the Beretta.

I was going to say take a look at the Taurus 99 (it's the same as the Taurus 92 but with target sights) mainly because I really dislike the safety on the Beretta and I really like the frame mounted safety on the Taurus. The Taurus safety is more like a 1911.

All that said, one has to remember the CZ was one of Colonel Cooper's favorites and that certainly should count for something.
Old July 13, 2017, 06:57 PM   #25
tallball

My friend has a surplus 92s with the heel magazine release. It is a good pistol and he shoots it well. My Taurus Model 99 has much better sights and safety. My favorite 92-ish pistol, though, is my Beretta 96. It is an oddball model with no safety or decocker at all. That thing has a great trigger!