The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 12, 2017, 01:58 AM   #1
ADIDAS69

Schmidt and bender

Lately I've put together funding for a Schmidt & Bender; having already ordered the item I was disappointed to have a trusted advisor tell me that their quality control of late has been found to be wanting and that our military has moved off them as a preferred optics provider opting for Nightforce. Has anyone else caught wind of this or any other reason to avoid S&B?

Me personally I've actually heard that Nightforce has had some issues with the same thing. Noting of course in both cases I have no personal experience as yet with either scope manufacturer. The most exspensive optics I've owned to date are Steiner and Trijicon (their actual scopes, not ACOGS).
Old July 12, 2017, 09:44 AM   #2
g.willikers

Just a guess, but..
Maybe the manufacturers, all of them for anything, have become too dependent on their equipment automatically getting things right, with less actual inspection of their products.
For the most part that seems to work, or we'd be seeing a lot more junk on the market.
But depending on the odds in getting it right, instead of old fashioned look-see, might be the cause.
Old July 14, 2017, 07:05 PM   #3
gwpercle

Don't believe all the horse-hocky people say.... that SB should do just fine .
Anything made by man can have an issue and some people go out of their way to make issues. Give it a fair trial before getting upset.
I would bet good money it will be everything you thought it would be and maybe more !
Gary
Old July 17, 2017, 01:02 AM   #4
ADIDAS69

Mr Gary, I'm fairly certain it'll be awesome. I was mostly disheartened as this same issue prevented me purchasing a Kimber, back before coins came more easily to me I pined for a shiny Kimber and by the time I put together the coin every dealer I went to universally panned them as having decided to coast on name and ignore quality control.

Rest assured when testing scopes I lead sled the rifle and use a pneumatic actuator to fire the rifle. The same order includes a B25 from US OPTICS so at the very least it'll be a long range day. It is worth noting that my decade old Simmons White Tail Classic tracks perfectly and it was $100.00 sooo $3400.00 I at least expect the glass to be better.

I was also looking at Hendsolt and IOR. IOR is in budget but for some reason doesn't offer a Mil scale reticle Hendsolt is wildly out of budget for their top tear but that only makes me want it more.
Old July 17, 2017, 08:48 AM   #5
Don Fischer

Just get a bottom end Tasco. Then if it's junk you won't be disappointed! :-)
Old July 17, 2017, 09:41 AM   #6
MarkCO

S&B, NF, Steiner, Trijicon, Leupold, Burris, Vortex are all quality optics and they support the sport and their products. I would not worry about a rumor, especially from someone who prefers a brand different than what you bought.
Old July 17, 2017, 10:52 AM   #7
TXAZ

I'm a Steiner fan, but S&B is a solid product.
Also look seriously at Vortex they have some excellent scopes.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes