The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 24, 2020, 02:18 PM   #26
44 AMP
Staff

Larry,
That is exactly the scope safety I'm referring to. I have those on several of my sporterized Mausers. You may find it necessary to put a new angle on the edge of the cam they can be very stiff (and almost impossible to engage) unless you do. Not a big deal, a few minutes with a file and test fitting.

Aquila,
what I mean was partly cutting through the bolt handle, bending it, and then filling in the gap was ONE of the methods used to bend bolts for scopes, I didn't mean I thought it had been done on the OP's rifle. Sorry for not being clear.
Old December 24, 2020, 03:54 PM   #27
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
Aquila,
what I mean was partly cutting through the bolt handle, bending it, and then filling in the gap was ONE of the methods used to bend bolts for scopes,
I know of that method. I have long been tempted to do it to my M24/47, but I don't think I have the requisite skills to do it without damaging the firearm. (Heck, "think" has nothing to do with it. I know I don't have the skills.)
Jeepaholic
Old December 24, 2020, 07:37 PM   #28
eastbank

i have seen just those actions in good condition go for 400.00 alone to built light weight hunting rifles.
Old December 25, 2020, 10:54 AM   #29
308Cajun

I just looked up ER Shaw's site, and they offer gunsmithing services that appear to be fairly reasonable. You would have to sent the rifle to them , and I don't know how long it would take., bit it might be worth a call.
Old December 27, 2020, 11:14 AM   #30
Shadow9mm

so just to weight in again. been thinking about this thread a good bit. You could probably get a new rifle setup cheaper. But like you said it still has life left and is just collecting dust. If its a shooter in good shooting condition, I say drop a scope on it and keep it going. collector guns are cool, whether they be mil-surplus, or family heirlooms. But at the same time a gun that no longer gets used, in my opinion, is just a waste.