The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 11, 2020, 05:34 PM   #51
tangolima

See post #37. The top round in the mag should have little or no interference to the empty. Check rounds on both sides to see whether one is high and one is low. There are ways to correct that.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old November 11, 2020, 05:51 PM   #52
Moloch

The round on the right side of the magazine sits just about as high as in my K98k, it just reaches a tad below the extractor claw, the round on the left side of the magazine (the side where the ejector is) sits definitely MUCH higher than in my K98k. I also only have issues with ejection when the left side round in the magazine is up.

I can think of only two ways to fix this: welding on material to the rear end of the left side feed lip or dumping the box magazine altogether and get an aftermarket detachable magazine that comes with its own pair of lips.
Old November 11, 2020, 05:55 PM   #53
Smoke & Recoil

Post a picture of the magazine empty...from the (front) view.
Old November 11, 2020, 06:03 PM   #54
Moloch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke & Recoil View Post
Post a picture of the magazine empty...from the (front) view.
Like so?

(Note, my K98k has the last round bolt hold open protrusion follower, my Spanish Mauser does not)

Old November 11, 2020, 06:07 PM   #55
Smoke & Recoil

Great picture. Did you try swapping the followers ?
Old November 11, 2020, 06:25 PM   #56
Moloch

Quote:
Great picture. Did you try swapping the followers ?
More than that, I swapped the entire box magazine with spring and follower! I also swapped the bolt and the ejector assembly!

None of that had any impact on the ejection issue, hence my strong suspicion that its the receiver geometry messing up somehow.
Old November 11, 2020, 06:37 PM   #57
Smoke & Recoil

Wild shot coming now...remove floor plate, spring and follower.
Clean all the oils from the bottom of the left-hand rail and apply several layers
of black tape or any tape, this will push the cartridge down to give clearance from the bolt. If that works, you're heading in the right direction.
Old November 11, 2020, 07:12 PM   #58
Moloch

Quote:
Wild shot coming now...remove floor plate, spring and follower.
Clean all the oils from the bottom of the left-hand rail and apply several layers
of black tape or any tape, this will push the cartridge down to give clearance from the bolt. If that works, you're heading in the right direction.
A very good idea, but I couldn't get it to work. I have not found any tape that would hold onto the bare metal well enough to allow carefully cycling the action, despite degreasing it properly. It would just slip off, the surfaces of the action are all polished to a mirror finish.
Old November 11, 2020, 07:14 PM   #59
Smoke & Recoil

Okay, you spiked my curiosity, I loaded my Mauser... 30.06 and operated the bolt slowly and it replicated your problem, operated sharply with no flaws. Yes, loaded ammo, 220 gr
RN.
Old November 11, 2020, 07:38 PM   #60
Moloch

Did you use live rounds or did you try it with an empty case? My Mauser will eject live rounds very nicely, the bullet must give the case enough leverage to overcome the problem nicely, but the empty cases don't have that oomph.

I know Mausers need to be operated briskly, but how I operate the action does not matter, the ejection issue will occur no mater what. I cannot replicate the problem with my German K98k unless I screw up and cycle the action really badly.

I made a video which you can find at the first page I think, here it is again. As you can see I operate the bolt with proper force and speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NyOg-1gtrE
Old November 11, 2020, 07:48 PM   #61
Smoke & Recoil

I didn't mention that I loaded (4) live rounds than babied an empty case last. I repeated this (3) times and all (3) the spent case ejected with ease. Well, right now I'm out of ideas.
Old November 11, 2020, 08:03 PM   #62
Smoke & Recoil

Okay, one more thought, if you're crafty, you can fabricate a longer custom ejector if the bolt would allow for it. Maybe a starting point would be 3/16th" longer and trim from that point as needed...remember, you're working on a KIT rifle anyway, make it a fun project.
Old November 12, 2020, 08:51 AM   #63
tangolima

Ok let's clarify left and right first. Looks like you are looking from the muzzle, instead of from the shooter. I'll stick to the convention.

Left (extractor claw side) round is high. Can you make it go lower by pushing it further to the left? Or has the round bottomed out on the left magazine wall?

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old November 12, 2020, 02:36 PM   #64
Moloch

I will try to make a custom ejector myself, but that's gonna be difficult because I'm not the most savvy in craftsmanship. Its gonna be learning by doing.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangolima View Post
Ok let's clarify left and right first. Looks like you are looking from the muzzle, instead of from the shooter. I'll stick to the convention.

Left (extractor claw side) round is high. Can you make it go lower by pushing it further to the left? Or has the round bottomed out on the left magazine wall?
Nono, I'm looking from the shooters perspective. So to clarify, for me left side is the side where the ejector sits, right side is where the extractor claw is.
The cartridge on the left side, ejector side, sits too high compared to my German k98k, the position of the right side round is normal (When its the top round in the magazine)

When I push the rounds down they go absolutely straight down, its not like the feed lips at the end squeeze them more together, or its not like the rounds rolling inwards when they reach the feed lips.
Old November 12, 2020, 04:17 PM   #65
Smoke & Recoil

https://www.ebay.com/itm/K98-Mauser-...oAAOSwe7BWvmKX
There are (2) types of ejectors...a round hole one and a oval hole one, both are available on ebay. decide which one you need and order one to play with.
Old November 16, 2020, 10:37 PM   #66
pwc

This is intriguing....last post has been 4 days, hope you didn't get burned out. Looking to follow this to a conclusion....
Old November 19, 2020, 06:09 AM   #67
Moloch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwc View Post
This is intriguing....last post has been 4 days, hope you didn't get burned out. Looking to follow this to a conclusion....
I was very busy the last couple days, with a solution, and some cosmetics. That was a lot of fun.

Ejects like a dream now, with the stagger-type single-row feed magazine. Also installed a Timney featherweight match trigger with a side lever safety.
I actually wanted a classic 98 style hunting rifle but I have to say, I really like that build.

Last edited by Moloch; November 19, 2020 at 06:15 AM.