The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 15, 2019, 07:19 PM   #1
Jasonzee

Predator hunt

Next year I'm thinking about going on a predator hunt
either in Montana or Idaho for wolfs. I have to make a choise on what rifle to take,either a 243 or a 308. I would think with the 243 with Barnes TTX would be a good choise but thoes things weigh from 75 to 95lbs. I dont really want to take the 308 because I want the furs for a blanket.
Old November 15, 2019, 09:14 PM   #2
Dufus

243 Win will kill just about everything a 308 Win can......with the right bullets.

Not long ago, I saw a video of a girl shooting a mama elk at 600+ yards and dropped the cow with one shot. Of course, the girl was using the right bullet for the task at hand.
Old November 15, 2019, 09:22 PM   #3
Schlitz 45

I’ve taken coyote with 7.62x51 military ball ammo and it makes tiny holes that you can suture after skinning and the holes are almost invisible in the hide.
Old November 16, 2019, 09:03 AM   #4
Jasonzee

As far as the 243 goes either I could use Hornady SST or Barnes. Bullet construction is going to be important for the 243 I was thinking about 95 or 100 gr. bullet.
Old November 16, 2019, 11:12 AM   #5
huntinaz

I’d use the 243 and probably lean heavy sst but either bullet a fine wolf choice I think
Old November 16, 2019, 11:46 AM   #6
Jasonzee

The gun has a 1 10 twist and I dont think the SST 95gr will stabilized is flight. Imo I think the 87gr is a little to light I have to look up more bullet choises.
Old November 16, 2019, 01:37 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

If you want a clean pelt, use a 'tough' bullet - or even an FMJ, if legal.

SSTs, Ballistic Tips, HPs, etc. run high risk of blowing big holes in the exit side.

The TSX and TTSX would probably be okay.

My personal preference would be a Nosler Partition. I know they work. I know they shoot. And they're easy to work with.
Old November 16, 2019, 03:20 PM   #8
Scorch

Quote:
The gun has a 1 10 twist and I dont think the SST 95gr will stabilized is flight
A 243 with a 1:10" twist should stabilize everything up to 100-115 grs, depending on the bullet profile.
Quote:
I dont really want to take the 308 because I want the furs for a blanket
A 243 will do the same or more damage to a coyote pelt as a 308, it is a necked-down 308 with a lighter, more easily upset bullet. If you want to not damage the pelts, shoot the coyotes in the head or use something like a 223.
Quote:
If you want a clean pelt, use a 'tough' bullet - or even an FMJ, if legal.
Or do this.
Old November 16, 2019, 10:07 PM   #9
huntinaz

100gr Interlocks are pretty easy on coyote pelts. The SST is about the same as the Interlock. It doesn’t blow big holes in deer either. Think it’d be fine on a wolf pelt.
Old November 17, 2019, 07:36 AM   #10
Jasonzee

Thanks Il look at interlocks.
Old November 17, 2019, 10:13 AM   #11
huntinaz

The Nosler Partition or Accubond probably are the safest bet, I agree with Frankenmauser in theory. Id shoot a heavy one, 95-105gr, a heavy for caliber tough bullet that will expand and shouldn’t blow up, leaving you a nickel to quarter sized exit that is no big deal at all. I agree with that line of thinking.

I would not use a fmj, and speed is not your friend here unless you go super light and load it like a 22-250 with a light varmint bullet. Like 55-60gr. But if you get a splash or an exit you’re screwed.

If you go cup and core like an SST or Interlock I say go 100gr, not 87gr, because of speed.

However from experience, 100gr interlocks are surprisingly easy on coyote pelts and 80lb coues deer. So are factory 100gr Core Lokts actually. It’s one of the situations where cup and core bullets usually act like they are supposed to, they aren’t traveling super fast and moving thru relatively soft targets. If you want to minimize the ‘usually’ then going bonded or partitioned would be something to strongly consider.