The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 14, 2017, 05:57 PM   #1
wild willy

pyrodex pellets no bullet

I read it somewhere can't find it again.Somebody said they shot Pyrodex or Triple 777 pellets with no bullet at either New Years or 4th of July as a sort of flaming firework.Anybody ever do it or see it?Not important just curious
Old December 14, 2017, 06:54 PM   #2
thallub

Good for starting grass fires when burning pellets are ejected from the barrel.
Old December 14, 2017, 07:37 PM   #3
Pahoo

Turns into an incindiary device.

Not with these two propellants but yes, they came flying out the barrel like little rockets. Even spirally due to the rifling. No harm but a waste of pellets and can see how they might start a fire. ......

Be Safe !!!
Old December 15, 2017, 08:01 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Never tried it myself. I use to use in my ROA blackpowder for light and sound effect on July 4.
Old December 15, 2017, 12:58 PM   #5
the possum

I had some Shockley's sugar cubes that were junk, and used 'em up this way. It actually is pretty neat to do it at night- they're like a Roman Candle. The cube burned bright red & burned up in midair. But I only did it when the gun needed cleaning anyway. Wasn't worth the effort otherwise.
Old December 15, 2017, 07:47 PM   #6
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Have a pellet or two land on your neighbors roof while He's looking. Someone's likely to see & feel more fireworks than He bargained for.
Old December 16, 2017, 09:57 AM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Whatever you do, be safe. No need to start a wildfire or to reenact the burning of Rome.
Old December 16, 2017, 10:40 AM   #8
wild willy

Don't know if I'll try it or not was just wondering.Don't have to worry about neighbors.
Old December 16, 2017, 10:47 AM   #9
kraigwy

Speaking of grass fires, I have a, sort of, related question.

Until I just started playing with my new flintlock I've never use cotton patches in muzzle loading. The patches are coated with grease.

Last night I was laying in bed thinking about the chances of that patch starting a grass fire.

Is it common or is the black powder grease non flammable?
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 16, 2017, 11:11 AM   #10
Pahoo

Good question but not likely

Quote:
Is it common or is the black powder grease non flammable?
This is a fair question and in my experience is that, you have very little to worry about. Whenever I shoot or teach a class, I read the patches and mostly show some carbon stain. I have never seen "any" signs of burning. The outer edges will get frayed and even they show no burning. When I say that I read patches, I look for a number of things that help me diagnose and potential problems. I do the same to sabots. Not saying that it's impossible, just not likely. .....

There are a number of ways to lube a patch and the most common is a basic mixture of Tallow which supposed to be the "inside" fat of an animal which is not a volatile substance. By the time it leaves the bore and flies through the are, I don't think it even gets hot enough to ignite. I have seen propellant start a fire but never a patch. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old December 16, 2017, 02:11 PM   #11
Hawg

I have seen smoldering patches but it is usually from not enough lube. My Hawken patches will fray around the edges and scorch in the center but I never had one burn through or smolder.
Old December 18, 2017, 07:31 PM   #12
Gbro

50 years ago give or take i was along with my older brother when he shot his 1st muzzle loader. We started 2 fires with it that day and of course we thought the patch did it and the fires were 20-30 ft from the muzzle, but perhaps the propellant did it like Pahoo posted??
I have shot lots of muzzle loaders since and never seen it again.
Captain, if you are just plinking try a spit patch.
I do and i can shoot all afternoon (and that will also mean days and days) without needing to swab the bore as the spit patch does double duty.
My biggest problem is having a patch in my mouth triggers a gag reflex most of the time.
And for 4th of July parade i load 70 grains of 3f and a patch and join in the volley with my smoke pole.
Only Black will discharge like this.