The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 1, 1999, 07:51 AM   #1
Skip

I am planning on taking my two sons (17 and 20) on their first deer hunts during the week between Christmas and New Years, 1999. Since this is their first hunt, it is *not* necessary (or even desirable) that this be a "trophy" opportunity. Rather, it is more important that they have a very good chance at a deer of some kind. Also, because there will be three of us, it is important that the cost be manageable. Can anyone suggest a lodge or something similar in Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, or South Carolina that might be appropriate?
Old April 1, 1999, 11:56 AM   #2
Rob Pincus

Skip,

I know quite a few lodges that would facilitate what you are looking for. AND, let me say that I applaud your desire to keep the first hunt realistic. I've seen too many people get spoiled by a $3000 trophy hunt as their first deer, then they think there is something wrong with hiking out into public land and whacking a 4-6 pointer.

Along those lines, make sure that they understand the importance of taking does out of the herd as well. Too many hunters think that there is something "wrong" with shooting a doe or a small buck. A young buck should be allowed to mature, but an older small buck should be thinned, as should a good number of does, to keep the bucks competitive.

Give me an Idea how much you'd like to spend, keep in mind that different states have different non-residential hunting fees. GA and SC, for example run around $125 for what you'll need, while AL is significantly less.

Lastly, IF (note big "IF") I have some free time during the season and you wanted to come to middle TN, I could guide you and your sons on some land that I hunt. I can virtually Guarantee that you won't get a "trophy" . Seriously, hunting with a non-PH might give your sons a good taste of what hunting is about.

------------------
-Essayons
Old April 9, 1999, 01:43 PM   #3
Rob Pincus

Skip,

I checked out the place in South Carlina I was telling you about and it looks great. I am looking forward to my hunt there this coming season and I think that the owner could work something out with you.

It is Oak Ridge hunting preserve in Estill South Carolina. contact me for more info.
Old April 9, 1999, 11:56 PM   #4
buzz riley

Skip,
I'm live in Kentucky, so I probably can't help you much. We have free "safe hunter courses" offered by the state . I'm sure you could find something in your area if you were so inclined. I think the training would be worth the trouble for you all(I've had it myself). Some states require it now, so it could only help you.

------------------
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. Matthew 5:9
Old April 11, 1999, 03:34 PM   #5
bearcat

You might try http://www.angelfire.com/tn/farner/index.html
for just plain old fashioned hunting in Tennessee.
Thanks
Bearcat