The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 29, 2017, 03:33 PM   #26
Picher

Success: New load consisting of 140 grain Nosler Accubond, 56.3 grains Reloder 22 and CCI 200 primers is fantastic! Three shot group 0.6" (clean barrel for the first shot). (The second and third were 0.2" center to center.) Velocity was 2,836 Ave.

Guess I can trust that load. Second rifle did 0.8". Zeroed both rifles (one for fair and the other for foul weather). Ready for the hunt!

Now we just need to compute the trajectory, then find a fine bull moose!
Old August 30, 2017, 11:43 AM   #27
hooligan1

Picher, take all your info and go to Vortex Optics.com, check out the lrpc part, program everything in and bang theres your info. I found it super easy and accurate..
Old September 20, 2017, 03:28 PM   #28
Picher

Thanks Hooligan. I checked it out, but ended up going back to another program that I've used before because it was easier for me to use.

We spent a few days this week scouting for moose, but it was too warm and they weren't out during the day. Still, we found good, fresh sign of browse and good-sized Bull tracks. They weren't responding to our calls, either.

The weather reports indicate that temps will be in the high seventies or low eighties for the hunt next week. I'll let you folks know what happens.
Old September 20, 2017, 05:17 PM   #29
Paul B.

Probably too late to help on your upcoming hunt but I use two loads for my .270. The 150 gr. Sierra Game King for deer and antelope size game and the 150 gr. Nosler partition for elk. I would not worry on the latter load for moose should I ever get a chance at one.
I won't give the powder charge as the powder I use has been discontinued for a bit over ten years or so. I just happen to have plenty so I use it. Load is in once fired Winchester brass and WLR primer delivering a velocity in the 2880 FPS range. Nice thing is the same charge works for both bullets and both loads average .75" If I mix and match they seldom if ever exceed 1.5". I sight in at 3" high at 100 yards and just go hunting.
Truth be told, I could just go with the 150 gr. Nosler Partition for everything and not look back. It just plain works.
Paul B.
Old September 21, 2017, 10:38 AM   #30
ocharry

hey Picher,,,sounds like you have your load worked up and you are ready to go

GOOD LUCK,,,hope you get a nice size eater,,,be safe and dont over do it,,,let that big rugged boy do the heavy lifting

ocharry
Old September 23, 2017, 03:59 AM   #31
Picher

Ocharry: Thanks for the good wishes. Yesterday, we bought a used 24 cu-ft chest freezer to take with us. Weather is supposed to be in the 80's the first day, so need to get meat cooled off quickly after quartering. So far, we've spent over $3,000 on equipment, not including son's new Tundra. That moose, should we get one, won't be bargain meat, but the experience of sharing with son and grandson will be worth every penny.
Old September 26, 2017, 04:16 AM   #32
Picher

Results: Opening Day...A nice 860 lb. bull, shot at 290 yards, using my .270 Win, Bonded Ballistic Tips, as it was walking across a haul road. After the shot, it only went 15 yards into a cut and we were able to pull it out with the truck. I was sitting on my hunting stool and only had about 10 seconds to make the shot in the remnants of the early morning fog. Shot went into the lungs and did a fantastic job!

We saw three cows before this bull. We were hunting in the North Maine Woods territory, about 30 miles north of the "Golden Road". Several bulls were grunting and three cows came out in the fog before this bull crossed the haul road. (Picture to follow.)

Last edited by Picher; September 26, 2017 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Error in Weight 860 lbs, (not 640) dressed.
Old September 26, 2017, 06:47 PM   #33
Picher

My moose: 860 lbs, dressed.

JP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg John's Moose.jpg (71.6 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by Picher; September 26, 2017 at 07:00 PM.
Old September 27, 2017, 09:53 AM   #34
Ricklin

Yes!

That's a nice animal. It's especially satisfying that all your preliminary work paid off so well.
Old September 29, 2017, 09:06 AM   #35
Picher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricklin View Post
That's a nice animal. It's especially satisfying that all your preliminary work paid off so well.
Thanks Ricklin and others. We did a lot of scouting several days ahead of the season, before going up again a couple of days ahead and finding the spot along an old haul road where signs were best, but we hadn't seen any moose before this day, nor did any animals answer our calls.

It was tough being on-stand with empty guns, waiting for a bull when we heard so much thrashing and chomping within a hundred yards or so. I wasn't nervous or extremely excited but determined to make a good shot while sitting on my stool and bracing my left elbow on my knee. I was rock-steady and, in my mind, can still see the crosshairs and feel the trigger squeeze, then recoil, see the moose hump up at the hit and hear the whump.

This was my first (and last) moose, but it probably couldn't get any better for me.
Old September 29, 2017, 10:59 AM   #36
ocharry

hey Picher,,,nice goin,,, man that is a nice one,,,good eating there for sure

congrates for sure too

ocharry

Tags
270 stocks b.jpg: