The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 13, 2002, 10:05 PM   #1
jroth

"ballets" In .50cal T/c New Englander

Hello,
Have tried usingthe "ballets" in my .50 cal T/C New Englander, with QLA muzzle. I can not get repeatable results, have used
40, 45, 50, and 55 grs of FFg. I can hit the target once next two shots don't even hit paper.
Has anyone had good experience?
Thanks.
Old October 14, 2002, 11:29 AM   #2
Poodleshooter

Are those the projectiles that resemble a round ball in front with a lead skirt in the rear-shaped vaguely like a little round nosed conical? If so, I didn't know they came in .50.
BTW, I shoot a grey hawk-same as your New Englander but in stainless.
Old October 16, 2002, 09:35 AM   #3
scotjute

I've got the same rifle you do, but am using Maxi-hunter 350 grain
minnies and 70 grains FFF. Haven't experimented much but at least it is relatively accurate.
What are the "ballets"?
Is your rifle showing repeatable patterns with other types of bullets?
Old October 16, 2002, 10:44 AM   #4
Tom Matiska

I had a the same luck with a similar type bullet. Couldn't believe the wicked curves it was throwing. Seems the short knurled sidewall was better for putting lead in the rifling than spin on the bullet. Did you experience major fouling?

Tom
Old October 17, 2002, 11:58 AM   #5
jroth

Ballets follow-up

Hello to all,
Yes the ballets are the round-nose, straight-sided, with "Mini-Ball" hollow base.
There has been no consistent grouping with the projectile, a with any powder charge. The rifle will hold the black on a NRA fifty yard pistol target at 100 yds, off-hand.
I find the maxi-ball to have an elevation increase in target impact, due I believe to the increase pressure over 70 grs of FFG.
For me I will stick with the round ball a practise alot.
Yes, I believe that there was significant fouling increase, reverting to patched round ball after firing the ballet, in took two shots to get a good group.

To Poodleshooter, Did you get or can use the 12ga barrel? That's why i bought the New Englander. The N.E. is a good firearm.
Old October 17, 2002, 10:39 PM   #6
Poodleshooter

I actually could get one, but I haven't. All of the parts are interchangeable according to T/C, though there are some differences, such as barrel length. The price of wads scared me off of the shotgun idea. Now that I reload shotgun shells,however, it might make sense to look for one. What have you found that shoots well in your New Englander?
Old October 23, 2002, 11:10 PM   #7
jroth

12ga New Englander shooting

Poodleshooter,

I found the T/C WOnder Wads are satisfactory, as all you need are three wads.
Two seated over the powder and the third over the shot.
And they are reasonably priced compared to standard wads that you have to make sure they fit the barrel diameter.

Go ahead and get the barrel, I use mine for late winter small game, rabbit & Pheasant here in S.E. Michigan. All you really get is one good shot. You will enjoy it.