The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 19, 2007, 02:55 PM   #1
Yellowfin

Government surplus brass

Has anyone used brass from US Military that is sold in bulk? I'm looking at some auctions for ridiculous amounts of .223, .308, and 9mm that's available in my area. What might I need to know other than needing to bring a hand truck with me? What might a lot of say 500 lbs of .223 go for?
Old September 19, 2007, 03:52 PM   #2
CrustyFN

I don't have any experience with it my self but in other threads I have read that machinegun brass is a real pain to work with.
Rusty
Old September 19, 2007, 09:14 PM   #3
Don H

I don't think I've ever seen a lot as small as 500 pounds. Those I've seen are usually several tons. Make sure the brass hasn't been run through a "popper" to cook off any unfired rounds - heated brass is useless for reloading.
Old September 20, 2007, 09:24 AM   #4
Mach II Sailor

check with your local scrap dealer and have him alert you to any ammo brass buys, our county range "owns" all brass not picked up or left in buckets, once a month, or when ever they get few hundred pounds, they sell the brass to a scrap dealer.., $1.35 a lb.
Old September 20, 2007, 11:44 AM   #5
swmike

Military Brass reloading can become a lifetime hobby or a career.

All too often it is removed from the range with a bobcat loader along with dirt, mud, grass, etc. This makes cleaning a required first step. Then sort it to eliminate all the bent and damaged cases. Check the case heads for oversize with a gauge. (I have recieved a lot with the heads oversized or damaged by extractors and they won't fit in a case gauge)

Tumble in walnut shell to take off the "crust" that washing didn't touch.

De-Cap and swage primer pockets.

Check Case length and trim/chamfer as necessary.

NOW you are ready to reload.

With civilian brass a greater percentage will be useable and you don't have to swage primer pockets.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old September 27, 2007, 02:22 AM   #6
IMtheNRA

I don't think you'll be able to buy only 500 lbs. Usually, the brass is sold in truck loads, or 44,000 lbs in a lot, and it is processed by a machine that smashes the cases to make them impossible to reload.
Old September 27, 2007, 05:45 AM   #7
Thesenator

Thats not true. I've checked the auctions and they specifically state that destruction or mutilation is not required. There may be a restriction on sending it overseas, but plenty of it is sold in the US.
I've used alot of once fired military brass for reloading. Where do you think the stuff sold by Bartlet, Hi=Tech and others comes from?

Gov.org is not going to process the stuff anymore than they have to, and crushing the stuff takes time and money.
Old September 27, 2007, 04:50 PM   #8
Cheepshot

Where?

How did you find out about the auction?
Old September 27, 2007, 05:27 PM   #9
rwilson452

There might be a little confusion. the military is required to require that Ammo be "demilled". that is to say rendered inactive. I lot of surplus 30-06 was disposed of some years back. The company that bought it. pulled the bullets, dumped the powder and primers. Then reassembled it using the original cases and bullets. they reamed the primer pockets. Good Lake City brass. As I recall, it retailed for around $6 or 7 a box of 20. cheaper by the case. It didn't last long. here is no requirement to crush brass as yet. Be advised that a lot of it has been fired full auto and can be rather beat up.
Old September 29, 2007, 05:17 AM   #10
Thesenator

Cheepshot, here is a link to auctions.

Register then log in. You can search by state or by item description.

Be advised, Large lots of cartridge brass usually go for tens of thousands of dollars....there are some heavy hitters that bid these auctions and unless you are prepared you can't compete.

http://www.govliquidation.com/index.html
Old September 29, 2007, 08:12 AM   #11
Cheepshot

Wow

The smallest lot I saw was 20,000 lbs!
Old September 29, 2007, 05:17 PM   #12
gandog56

Saw one auction for 360 lbs. of 9mm. Jeezo pete, I just traded a guy 3300 empty 9mm cases and that only weighed 33 lbs. That would keep me in 9mm for a century!