The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 14, 2006, 07:26 AM   #26
springmom

Um...

I am not a national champion at anything, nor do I play one on TV. I guarantee you Rob Leatham has never heard of me and if he had, he'd sleep well not worrying about a one of his titles. I'm just a mom, a "hobbyist" at shooting, and I train as best I can for self defense. All that said, THIS comment-

Quote:
In my experience, I have not lost motor control nor become extremely tense nor shakey during high stress situations (including armed confrontations). So, I don't believe that those things happen
caught my attention. Because it didn't happen to YOU, it doesn't HAPPEN? Your experience is normative to you, but it stops at YOUR skin. You don't have a flood of adrenaline in high stress? Good for you, but that is not the definitive normal response to danger. So your grip on your firearm when in armed confrontation may be more idiosyncratic than the norm.

Or maybe there are lots of people who are cool as cucumbers and relaxed in a firefight, I don't know. But to say it doesn't exist because it doesn't happen to you seems a bit odd.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old September 14, 2006, 07:41 AM   #27
BlueTrain

Well, cool and relaxed are not the same thing. You can certainly be cool under stress but are very unlikely to be relaxed. I suspect that in many situations more people than not simply do nothing, provided they themselves are not in grave risk at the moment, like if something heavy were about to fall on them. In other words, there are serious situations when something needs to be done but the situation is not such that most, if not all, of the people seeing the situation are in any danger themselves. So most people do nothing except stand and watch. I am referring to something like when a person is accidentally injured. Maybe, just maybe, someone will offer to help. It is usually more complicated than that but you get the idea.

There can also be stressful situations, gun related, in which you are in no danger at all. That is what competition is about. Sure enough, if you watch any kind of action-oriented shooting competition, including plain old bowling pin shooting, and you will see what might be call stress-induced failures to act properly. That is a clumsy way to put it but the point is, there is stress in competion and having to deal with it might be a good training tool for the real thing. I might point out that it can also show the limitations of tricked out firearms that might be a bad thing to carry to a gunfight. Ever see a gun fail to fire in a competion--in this day and age?
Buy War Bonds.
Old September 14, 2006, 09:51 AM   #28
Lurper

Springmom,

You're right. I don't dismiss that it happens to others, I'm simply saying that in my experience and from the experience of a handful of friends it doesn't happen. Since it is a matter of perception I could be way off. But I don't believe I am. The fact that it didn't happen to me or my friends is no more indicative of what the norm is than saying it happens to everyone. My main point was that I believed it was the fact that I was well trained with my firearm that action was automatic, so there was no time for anything else. No concious thought. I fired 500 rounds a day 5 days a week and traveled the circuit shooting matches every weekend. I also had a range in my backyard. My secondary point was that if you train enough (mental training as well - not just on the range), you can overcome what some claim is a natural response.

This isn't the first time (nor 1001st) I have had this conversation. It is one of many questiosn I have wrestled with over the years. So many of our beliefs come from life experience. I believe that proper mental training enables people to accomplish extraordinary feats. I also believe that everyone can be taught to shoot on the same level as Rob.

Just my opinion, doesn't mean it's the gospel to anyone except me. I am passionate about shooting because it changed my life and was my entire life for many years. I am also reasonable enough to change my opinion if I am shown otherwise. But in the 20+ years I have been shooting, my opinion on this topic hasn't changed since I switched from shooting Weaver/Chapman style to shooting "natural" style.

Dux, sorry to hijack your thread (so many times).
Old September 14, 2006, 11:23 AM   #29
Duxman

Lurper no problem.

The advice you and the rest of the folks gave here is terrific. You can hijack anytime.
Old September 14, 2006, 01:31 PM   #30
Blackwater OPS

On Combat vs. Competition

There is a big difference between a well lit safe range where no one wants to take your gun and kill you with it(or at least they generally restrain that impulse) and situations where it is dark and you KNOW there are persons who wish to do just that.

There is no doubt in my mind that SOME mechanics are different when shooting combat vs. the range. These are few examples that come to mind-

Would you take time to do a tactical reload at the range? No, because you KNOW you will not need those extra rounds later. Would you shoot from the hip at the range? No, because you don't see anyone there that has already drawn on you and is about to fire, or is 5 feet away with a knife.

That said, I have to defer to Lurper on this one, where there is NO difference is in weapon control. Control of your weapon is control over your weapon. If you are trying to keep your weapon on target or prevent someone from grabbing it, the more control you have the better.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old September 14, 2006, 01:46 PM   #31
OBIWAN

How hard you grip is too relative to be useful IMO

One mans "firm" is anothers "hard" (or womans)

At the risk of being no more specific than anyone else I would recommend "hard enough"

But I would say trigger control is the number 1 (and most perishable) shooting skill and not every competitor does it exactly the same way....so much for there being a single "best" way.

I am not going to name drop ( you know like saying someone is not a "good shooter" and then comparing him to the top competitors :-)

But most of the people I know that have actually fought with a handgun are far from the "you must do it this way...the right way" ..they are more apt to say "here is A way" and here is why it might be the best compromise between all of THE ways

Competition and Gunfighting have different goals. Nobody should take offense at the suggestion that they are different.

In one, you stretch the rules to give yourself every opportunity to win

In the other...you ignore " the rules" and cheat like heck to survive.

A champion level shooter will not lose his ability to shoot accurately just because he leaves the range

But even though IDPA was an attempt to come back towards realistic tactics there is still a HUGE difference between competing and fighting with a handgun.

All I have to do is watch the way cover is used to know who I would emulate in an armed confrontation...and it would not be the gamesman.

I have seen lots of very good shooters fall apart when suddenly their light, footing, etc. was suddenly sub par. "I knew I should have actually practiced shooting at targets that were not facing directly at me"

Those with a fighting mindset ask tough questions like " how well will this technique work if my hands are bloody".

Competitors ask tough questions like " If I hold my thumb this way will it cut my splits by .01 seconds"

Once again....this doesn't make competition (or competitors) bad.....just different.

Think about it like this...the best Nascar Driver in the country may still not be able to teach you to parallel park.
Old September 14, 2006, 01:52 PM   #32
OBIWAN

"Because it didn't happen to YOU, it doesn't HAPPEN? "

That also caught my eye....I think it would be more accurate to say because it didn't happen to him....yet
Old September 14, 2006, 02:24 PM   #33
BlueTrain

The are probably exchanges like this on the differences between target shooters (rifle) and hunters. Ultimately the goal is the same as far as the shooting goes, which is to put the bullet in the right spot. Yet there is more to it than that.
Buy War Bonds.
Old September 14, 2006, 05:19 PM   #34
Lurper

Here's 2 more of my cents for what it is worth:
There is no difference in the mechanics between hitting the target quickly and accurately regardless of what the target is. I would never presume to teach or argue tactics - not may area of expertise. However, most of the arguments presented vis-a-vis combat versus competition just don't hold water. Once you leave the mechanics of hitting the target rapidly you have crossed into the realm of tactics. There are a million differents schools on tactics. My opinion of sound tactics is to be the first one to hit my target. I have been in more than one armed confrontation so I can speak about my own experience with some authority. From my experience, for most civilians and L.E.O., the ability to hit the target quickly is the single most important factor. I also believe that the tactical reload is a non issue for civilians and most L.E.O.. Most shootings are up close, fast and furious and are over in a relatively small number of rounds. I carry 2 extra mags for my Colt officer's acp or gov't model, 1 extra speed loader if I carry my Mod. 13. I figure if I can't get the job done with 12 rounds then I guess I am gonna die.

Further, I would argue that faster draws and splits are all valid skills that could save your life. Most of my L.E.O. friends who were involved in shootings said that they were over so quickly that they didn't have time to think about let alone use tactics. This reinforces my belief. I'm not saying my belief is the only one that is valid, just offering insight into where it originates.
Old September 14, 2006, 06:58 PM   #35
Axion

Quote:
There is no difference in the mechanics between hitting the target quickly and accurately regardless of what the target is
Like springmom I'm a nobody in the shooting world so I don't expect anyone to take my advice. I also think you're right on the above point. However, I think you get stuck on that point and don't look further. In match you have the "luxury" of shooting with a loose grip, if you so choose, because you know that know one is going to try and knock the gun out of your hands or take it from you. In real life someone may well be intent on doing just that, and since loosing controll of your weapon in a life or death situation would be very bad, you may well not have the luxury of a loose grip.

That said, knowing that in a real life situation you might need to use a death grip just to keep controll of your gun, not because it's necesarrily to most accurate way to shoot mind you, I think it makes sense to practice that way.
Old September 14, 2006, 08:23 PM   #36
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurper
I fired 500 rounds a day 5 days a week and traveled the circuit shooting matches every weekend. I also had a range in my backyard. My secondary point was that if you train enough (mental training as well - not just on the range), you can overcome what some claim is a natural response.
I think that this explains a lot.

With this level of training, I think that you can easily overcome a common natural response. However, few people have the time, money or willpower to shoot 11,000 rounds a month.

I find it just a bit surprising that someone who shoots more in a month than many shooters do in a lifetime honestly assumes that his personal responses and experiences will carry over to the average gun owner.
Old September 14, 2006, 09:33 PM   #37
rhino

Don't Leatham and Jarrett both grip the gun really, really hard too? I've never met either in person, but those I know who have say they favor a very strong grip.

I know it's not the current vogue in the practical shooting circles, but the crush grip does have value, especially for people who can't otherwise get good hits. If for no other reason, if it helps eliminate milking the grip, it's a good thing.

I'm not sure tension in the hands is a huge factor in shooting quickly either. Matches are not won or lost on split times, but on target transitions and movement. I doubt if the difference in splits with a crush grip vs. a relaxed grip would make any difference "in real life" at all.

When we discuss this, we have to understand that getting good hits, regardless of the speed, is on ongoing battle for many of us. We need to get the hits however we can before we can worry over the minutiae of too much tension in the hands slowing our splits from 0.2 to 0.25 seconds.

I say all this because I am currently experimenting with a really firm grip again. Over the last 12 years, my grip had become increasingly more relaxed, but somewhere along the way I also picked up a tendency to milk the grip. I tried keeping my strong hand pinkie off of the grip (which I still do when shooting strong hand only) as you don't need it for grip strength and if it moves, it only hurts you. That only worked when I had time to think about doing it, so now I am trying to grip firmly enough that my pinkie and ring finger no longer have much left, so they can't do much damage even if I am startled. So far the results are pretty good.
Old September 14, 2006, 10:40 PM   #38
Lurper

Quote:
Don't Leatham and Jarrett both grip the gun really, really hard too? I've never met either in person, but those I know who have say they favor a very strong grip.
No, neither of them do. Todd was my shooting partner when I lived back east and I have known and shot with Rob on a regular basis for more than a decade.

Quote:
I'm not sure tension in the hands is a huge factor in shooting quickly either. Matches are not won or lost on split times, but on target transitions and movement. I doubt if the difference in splits with a crush grip vs. a relaxed grip would make any difference "in real life" at all.
Tension in the stance and grip are two of the biggest factors in shooting fast. Your body moves quicker and more smoothly when it is relaxed. Also, if you lock your wrists, elbows and shoulders the recoil pushes your entire body. Lock you elbow and relax your wrists and the gun rises excessively. Extend your arms to a point that feels natural and your elbows act like shock absorbers and the muzzle rises less. You are correct that splits are not going to win a match by themselves (with a few exceptions like the Steel Challenge), but in a stage or situation that involves 5 or 6 shots up close and personal that is a different story.

Quote:
When we discuss this, we have to understand that getting good hits, regardless of the speed, is on ongoing battle for many of us. We need to get the hits however we can before we can worry over the minutiae of too much tension in the hands slowing our splits from 0.2 to 0.25 seconds.
Actually Rhino I think you have it backwards. If you pay attention to the minutiae of tension in your grip and stance you will allow speed to happen. If you try it in the opposite order, it won't work too well. Think about what milking the grip or healing really is: the introduction of unnecessary tension in a certain direction to the grip. Eliminate undue tension and you eliminate the problem.

Quote:
With this level of training, I think that you can easily overcome a common natural response. However, few people have the time, money nor willpower to shoot 11,000 rounds a month.

I find it just a bit surprising that someone who shoots more in a month than many shooters do in a lifetime honestly assumes that his personal responses and experiences will carry over to the average gun owner.
Yes, but I wasn't born shooting that much. By the time I was shooting that much, I had a range in my back yard and was sponsored by several different companies. But that is not where the ability took place, that was after it was established. I don't believe that Rob, Todd, Brian, myself or any of the other top shooters are born with any more talent than anyone else. Last time I looked, they had not discovered a shooting gene. I started out just like everyone else. It didn't take that long to reach a high level of competence thanks to some of the greatest names in shooting. But that is my point. I did it in a period of several months and anyone else can if they have the desire.
More importantly, I can teach anyone to achieve a high level of proficiency in a matter of days. So, I really do believe that my experiences carry over. I believe that everyone can do it, that is why I may seem evangelical about it at times.
Old September 15, 2006, 12:21 AM   #39
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
More importantly, I can teach anyone to achieve a high level of proficiency in a matter of days. So, I really do believe that my experiences carry over. I believe that everyone can do it, that is why I may seem evangelical about it at times.
Of course you can bring someone to a high level of proficiency in a few days, but that is not anywhere the same as the reconditioning of reflexes and the training of the nervous system attained by literally tens of thousands of repetitions each month over time.

In other words, I certainly believe that you can get a person shooting at a very impressive level in a short time but that doesn't mean that they will have achieved the deep retraining of reflexes and supression of autonomic response that you achieved by shooting 11,000 rounds a month for an extended time period.

You can't mix the two. One is proficiency, the other is literally retraining the nervous system at a very low level.

The autonomic responses to very high stress are well documented as are the probabilities of experiencing the various symptoms. Their existence and prevalence are not in question regardless of your personal experience. That said, I agree with you that it is possible for very intense and extended training to suppress or perhaps eliminate many if not all of these responses.

However, that is not going to happen to the person who makes a trip to a standard paper target range every other month and shoots a box or two--not even if they take a weekend training course every few years. You've found the formula, and it involves months of constant training at a level that only a very tiny percentage of the shooting community would consider reasonable or even practically attainable.

I think your experiences are valuable and I'm glad that you are willing to share. However, I did a poll on a large gun forum and found that only about 63% of shooters who responded have fired 10,000 centerfire handgun rounds in their entire shooting career. That's among shooting enthusiasts! You're compressing what amounts to a lifetime of shooting for the majority of shooters into a month and then doing that over and over again. That is extremly atypical and therefore it is completely unreasonable to expect that your results are anything but atypical either.

You are confusing what is possible with what is realistic.
Old September 15, 2006, 12:13 PM   #40
Pointer

Quote:
Ayoob is a writer, not a very good shooter.
:barf:

Ayoob has been considered one of the "GREATS" for some thirty years!!!

He is an excellent shooter...

The crush grip has worked well for me for some 45 years...

EDIT
The very tight grip is done with the lower three fingers of the strong hand and the loosey-goosey stuff is done with the trigger finger and thumb... When using two hands and the push-pull method, the base of the strong thumb is squeezed forward to increase a secure hold even more...
THIS PREVENTS THE GUN REPOSITIONING ITSELF DURING REPEATED RECOILS...

30-06 FOREVER

Last edited by Pointer; September 15, 2006 at 08:25 PM.
Old September 16, 2006, 10:35 AM   #41
rhino

Quote:
Lurper said:
Actually Rhino I think you have it backwards. If you pay attention to the minutiae of tension in your grip and stance you will allow speed to happen. If you try it in the opposite order, it won't work too well. Think about what milking the grip or healing really is: the introduction of unnecessary tension in a certain direction to the grip. Eliminate undue tension and you eliminate the problem.
Actually, I was not talking about how to get faster splits, I was saying the time difference in splits doesn't really matter that much if at all in most applications.

For what it's worth, I can trip the trigger ridiculously fast (I posted some numbers on the Enos forums a couple of years ago) that most people don't believe, like a few legitimate (not echoes and not letting the gun rock in my hand and go full auto, which some people can do but I can't) 0.08 sec when I was shooting a friend's completely stock Kimber .38super with factory Armscor ammo. I think I had one 0.07 during the same string of fire. Now, I can't hit anything past a few feet, because all I'm doing is firing as fast as I can, so it's essentially a circus trick for me.

I think getting the right visual cues are more of a limiting for most shooters for their real split times for shooting while using their sights and getting good hits past contact distance. Now, you could argue that grip tension plays a role in how the front sight moves, which obviously affects how fast someone can see it all happening, but I believe most shooters are more limited by the seeing than the gripping in terms of splits.

For what it's worth, when I'm shooting in a match I have no idea how I hard I grip the gun, and my accuracy is good when I go as fast as I can see the front sight settle. Other than when I have to shoot strong or weak hand only, I pretty much just "grip it and rip it." I only have accuracy troubles when I'm shooting slowly, standing still, and I have too much time to think and make mistakes. That's the situation for which I am experimenting with my grip and split times are completely irrelevant then.
Old September 16, 2006, 01:58 PM   #42
JohnKSa
Staff

I believe splits like that are attainable. That's well within the expected cyclic rate of a fully automatic pistol from what I can determine.

I agree that the utility is questionable which also explains why there are so few fully-automatic pistols even where legality is not an issue.
Old September 16, 2006, 02:35 PM   #43
Lurper

Quote:
Actually, I was not talking about how to get faster splits, I was saying the time difference in splits doesn't really matter that much if at all in most applications.
Neither was I. I was talking about how to shoot fast in general. You hit the nail on the head with visual cues being a weakness for most. However, it is the entire package that makes an excellent shooter. What I specifically was saying was if you worry about the minutiae, the rest will take care of itself. The gun and your body will move more quickly and smoothly if you are not tense. Also, it is very hard to get a consistent amount of pressure on the grip or the gun if you use on of those methods. FWIW, I know how tight I grip my gun in a match because I grip my gun the same way every time. That is what training is supposed to do, reinforce a skill to the point where it requires no conscious thought.

Since this thread addressed grip specifically, I addressed only that (give or take a bit). But the single most important shooting skill you can develop is the shooting mind. The ability to remove you conscious mind from the shooting equation at will. Based on your final comments, I would say that is part of your problem. When you have time to think, you don't shoot as well. Don't think, shoot!

I don't need to tell you how good those split times are. I used to get an occasional .09 w/2 A hits, but my average was .11. Now I'm lucky to get .13.
Your are correct that in the big picture splits are of little importance. Fast draws are of little importance as well. Unless the stage or tactical situation is one that involves close up targets with small number of rounds. Then, both draw and split times are critical.
Old September 16, 2006, 06:55 PM   #44
rhino

heh! If I want to know that I'm getting both A hits at 7-10 yards, my splits are more like 0.18-0.20 with my 9mm. I haven't looked at a timer during a match with my .45 in a long time since I have been shooting the 9mm to save $$$. I think I am shooting El Pres for the classifier in the morning, so I'll try to remember to write down my splits and make a mental note of how I was gripping.

I know what you mean about how you know how you're gripping, but I suppose I'm coming from the opposite direction. I don't know how I'm gripping when I'm "really" shooting because it just happens. I especially have no memory of it when everything goes well. I don't remember my good reloads either, just the mistakes.

----------------

17SEP06 - Okay ... I failed to fulfill the mission I assigned to myself. I did not check any of my splits! I did note that I wasn't gripping very firmly while I was waiting for my front sight to settle during a couple of stages. It's funny what can go through your mind in such a brief period of time. Afterwards I received comments on how my gun did not move at all, so even though I wasn't crushing the grip, it must have been hanging on tightly enough.

Last edited by rhino; September 17, 2006 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Update for 17SEP06