The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 18, 2019, 11:48 PM   #1
Warman62

Scope for a Buddy

My best friend is a professional remodeler and is helping me redo my circa 1963 bathroom. Knowing him, it will be an arm wrestling match for me to try to compensate him in the coin of the realm. He will probably just ask for me to buy him a beer.

We all shoot and hunt .308 and 30-06 with $250-350 Leupold and Nikon scopes. I am thinking of gifting him something he would never buy for himself that would give him the baddest scope on the lease like a $1000 Nightforce SHU-4x14-56.

He hunts pig and deer and the shot lines of the lease are typically at 100-250 yards and pig hunts at night are common. Is this grade of scope overkill for our hunts or does the cool value outweigh any practicality concerns? Again, it's for a Buddy and I want to style him with something he wouldn't justify for himself because to spend that type of money, he would always be placing his family first.

I enjoy the wisdom and collective experience of this forum. Thanks.
Old January 19, 2019, 01:42 AM   #2
bamaranger

great plan

That's a good plan and your pal putting his family first is the way that it should be, I applaud you both. Selecting top end optics is never overkill.....you can't hit what you can't see.

I am not familiar with the 4x15x56 NF you mention, so I looked it up on line. As I suspected, that is one big honkin' scope, and to my way of thinking, too big for a GP big game hunting scope. Not in magnification, but in size/weight. A 30mm tube and a 56mm bell, with illumination will be one heavy item,and the rifle that wears it might be a bit cumbersome, even for shooting houses and setting hunts. Not to mention it might look a bit out of place on a 22-24" barreled sporter. Too, for a big game scope at the distances you mention, 14x seems a bit more than needed as well.

I see where NF offers the same scope in an illuminated 3x10x42mm version and might be inclined to look at that. Seems they make a 50mm bell model as well, but 50mm still seems like a lot of bell for a GP big game rifle to me.

But a heck of the gift, whichever you buy.
Old January 19, 2019, 04:32 AM   #3
stagpanther

I bought an SHV recently--very nice but as noted not a lightweight. Another thing--I aways thought Nightforce was all-American made--I was a bit shocked to see the SHV is not, which is probably why they are "cheap" for a Nightforce. Still, overall happy with the scope. You might want to take a look at Nikon's new "black" scopes--very nice for the money--and I hear vortex has a new entry into the "affordable" precision long-range scope arena that's making waves.
Old January 19, 2019, 06:02 AM   #4
Capt Rick Hiott

For low light hunting hogs (Like I do) You need to check out Meopta scopes!
I have bought three for my guns. They beat out Night Force and Vortex when it comes to low light. I have held them side by side to prove a point before!

Its one of the only company's that list the percentage of light transmission on there site.

Here is the one I have on my 6.5 creedmore.

https://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/u...15x56-rd-1000/

And I have this one on my Marlin 45-70

https://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/u...1-3-10x50-636/
Old January 19, 2019, 08:32 AM   #5
Bfglowkey

Do you guys stalk more or have a good feeder/blind set up going?

If you stalk the SHV is, as mentioned above, a bit bulky and heavy for a hunting rifle. Its an AMAZING value and I have one sitting on my RPR 6.5 Gen 2. Which I have used to knock a few pigs down from a blind style set up.
For stalking you could just up the ante and go with the Nikon BLACK FX1000 4x16 or X1000 4x16 ( depending on if he prefers First Focal plane or Second ) or a higher end Leupold since you know he enjoys/likes them.
Don't discount the Zeiss line of hunting or the Sig's with the new BDC/blue tooth link shot system and rangefinder combo. I say this cause the Sigs are very nice scopes and if you often hunt together it will be a great friendship reminder as you range the shot for him and he instantly sees the bullet drop appear in his scope. Price is right where you are looking to spend and you get a 2fer...scope and rangefinder.

In the end the SHV or the other options listed here will all fill your intent...a great scope for a great friend.
Old January 19, 2019, 01:03 PM   #6
std7mag

You can be my buddy!!! :

I usually hunt with a 4-12X42 scope. Longest shot on game was just over 400 yards.
I shoot targets out to 600 yards with them.

Something in the 42mm range objective is what i find optimal for a hunting scope.
And it lets the scope be mounted low enough that looking through isn't affected.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old January 19, 2019, 01:56 PM   #7
CarJunkieLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by std7mag View Post
You can be my buddy!!! :

I usually hunt with a 4-12X42 scope. Longest shot on game was just over 400 yards.
I shoot targets out to 600 yards with them.

Something in the 42mm range objective is what i find optimal for a hunting scope.
And it lets the scope be mounted low enough that looking through isn't affected.
I'm with 7mag I feel like a 42mm objective is perfect for hunting. I have several of the Redfield Revenge 3-9x42 scopes and I like them alot. My favorite and best scope I've ever used for hunting is the Burris MTAC30 4.5-14x42 it has excellent glass and tracks perfectly. I don't see better glass until you get into the $1000 scopes and every once in a while Cabelas has them for $199 they are usually $550.
Old January 19, 2019, 02:20 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

"...x14-56..." Too big and heavy for hunting. A Nightforce SHU-4x14-56 weighs 27 or 28 ounces and is 15" long.
I think I'd offer my help on any of his other jobs. Even just being the guy who lugs stuff around. Or, depending on what you do for a living, something you do he does not.
Old January 19, 2019, 03:22 PM   #9
Pahoo

Wish we had more folks on this earth like this.

Quote:
I am thinking of gifting him something he would never buy for himself that would give him the baddest scope on the lease like a $1000 Nightforce SHU-4x14-56.
Great idea and done in the right spirit. He is one of those folks that is helping you because he feels that is the right thing to do. Likewise, you are acting in the same sprit. Wish we had more folks on this earth like this. …..

Be Safe !!!
Old January 19, 2019, 07:38 PM   #10
bamaranger

can't help it

You need a gardner?
Old January 19, 2019, 08:03 PM   #11
taylorce1

All I can say is you know your buddy better than any of us. My question is does your buddy even want a scope with all the features of a Night Force SHV? Doesn't sound like in his hunting situations he'll get much advantage out of that scope other than bragging rights of having a Night Force optics.

You said he likes to hunt pigs, have you considered something like ATN's digital day/night rifle scopes? I really don't know much about night vision scopes other than what I used in the Army but the ATN scopes get pretty good reviews. I can just see a scope like that being more useful to what your buddy likes to do than the Night Force.

Just food for thought.
Old January 19, 2019, 10:36 PM   #12
Warman62

Thank you for the replies and detailed thoughts. I would say that 90% of our hunting is feeder/blind style so there isn't too much lugging around through the woods. He currently has a 50mm bell scope on his primary rifle, a .308.

He's a good guy who has had some recent health issues that have given him a hard-won perspective. Over the last several years, we have had less time to spend together as we were busy raising kids. Working side by side with him on this project has been a lot of fun and a great bonding experience.
Old January 20, 2019, 09:42 AM   #13
Swamp Yankee

Good on you,

Too often gestures of gratitude fall by the wayside and your idea is top shelf. I have a neighbor who is always there to lend a hand on major projects, (including using his mini-excavator and skid steer to replace my leech field 5 years ago), and won't take a thing for it.

On to the topic, I would never tell anyone not to buy a Nightforce optic. If you go that way he'll be tickled pink for sure. That said, in that $1000 price range a couple of other contenders include:

Leupold VX3I LRP 4.5-14X50
These are compact and very well made. They can be had in either FFP or SFP with multiple reticle choices. If the reticle you choose is not to his liking, Leupold can put another in, usually 10 days to 2 weeks. I think it's about $150. I have this very scope on a Tactical Solutions X Ring used for indoor 25 to 50 yard during the winter and at 100 yards outdoors for precision 22lr shooting competitions at the club.

Leupold VX5 HD 3-15X44 Firedot Reticle
Second focal plane, illuminated Firedot reticle.

Both of these can be found in the $900 - $1000 price range.

Take Care
Old January 21, 2019, 12:06 PM   #14
Don Fischer

Send your buddy to see me. Got a bunch of remodel work to do and I can afford a beer! :-)
Old January 22, 2019, 12:40 AM   #15
misterE

Leupold vx5hd 3-15x56

I splurged last year on one of these after years of hunting with vx1 and vx2. Mainly because I had deer entering a food plot at 250 yards at dusk. The vx5 easily added 10 minutes to my hunt as far as being able to identify shooter bucks etc. 30mm tube and 56mm bell is no joke for light transmission. I only use the rifle its on out of box stands and it is no issue at all for weight and bulk. Also has illuminated firedot reticle (which I hardly ever use but it does have the wow factor). I absolutely love it myself. Think I paid $950
Old January 23, 2019, 10:57 PM   #16
Warman62

Thank you for the encouragement and great alternative suggestions. I'll look into them.

With a kiddo in College, I would have a hard time justifying an expense like that for myself but if someone gave me a high-end gift like that, I would especially cherish it. I am hoping to similarly tickle his heart strings. We've been busting our tail on this bathroom but are having a great time doing it.