The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 12, 2019, 01:44 PM   #26
T. O'Heir

"...12 gauge for 20 gauge..." Fewer pellets regardless of the size. However, a 20 will do the same thing a 12 will do with less recoil.
Buck shot is not required with either gauge. No. 2 bird shot is plenty and there will be no issue with over penetration.
"...cocked and locked..." That won't bother the gun, but you will have a loaded firearm, presumably, unsecured from curious kids. If there are any. Local ordinances will apply too.
"...Home defense is not combat..." Exactly. Neither is CCW.
Old June 12, 2019, 02:28 PM   #27
JERRYS.

lots of concerns here, some overly concerned while some rightly so. here are a few tips.

*alarm system. this not only warns you that a breach has been made, but lets the criminal know they've been had as well as the police being dispatched.

* night lights. staged throughout the house provide plenty of lighting to "identify" the target enough to know its not Jr. or the wife.

* know your house. what are the most likely access points? where is it best to stage until the police arrive?

* training. no trainer worth speaking of will recommend that you clear ANY building by yourself.

* finally the gun. unless you have a short bbl shotgun, most distances in a home will not be long enough for pellet dispersion/pattern to matter. that said, you should still see this for yourself by walking off your hallway, then walking off that same distance outside and shooting it with your chosen gun and ammo combo.

there are more points to all of this but these are just some basics. if you haven't met these already do not worry about the other stuff. check these off your list before moving on.
Old June 12, 2019, 04:59 PM   #28
keithdog

A lot of good food for thought here and many good suggestions. I certainly don't plan on going all Rambo in my own home. Jerry's suggestion for having night light dispersed through out the house is a great point I hadn't thought of. Thanks everyone for the feed back. I greatly appreciate it.
Old June 12, 2019, 09:14 PM   #29
Couzin

#4 buck 2-3/4" cruiser ready short barrel.
Old June 13, 2019, 11:28 AM   #30
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couzin View Post
#4 buck 2-3/4" cruiser ready short barrel.
short bbl as in 18" and butt stock, or 14" and pistol grip?
Old June 13, 2019, 01:30 PM   #31
Couzin

Shockwave short. Replaced my old 18-1/2" mossberg with pistol grip. I really like this new platform.
Old June 13, 2019, 09:00 PM   #32
SHR970

PGO... a recipe for hardcore misses. Practice with like loads of bird shot until you can point shoot and hit the target reliably. Then practice some more.

PGO's look good in concept but are usually found wanting in use.
Old June 13, 2019, 09:39 PM   #33
SHR970

I'll say these things based on my own experience.

Racking the pump gun will tell them where you are: The creaking of your bedroom door/ stairway/ floorboard will already do that. Racking the slide will set the tone of the next part of your "conversation". It has worked and it has failed.

Racking the pump gun will make them go away: That is a preferred outcome; if I have to discuss this part with a Homicide Detective (if used you will) I will do so through my attorney.

For my area I have a non standard house size and layout... I have a 15 yard fatal funnel....If I rack and they don't comply...well. And that goes to state laws..... I know CPC 198.5 and will keep a big dose of STFU until MY attorney speaks for me. Until then I will allow the primary evidence to speak for itself.

Moderator Glenn E. Meyer is an Attorney but he is not MY / YOUR attorney. That said heed his legal advice. His caveats are sound. Caveat #1... STFU...let a defense lawyer barred in your state speak for you; even in Castle Law States you will most likely need one because your case may go before a Grand Jury for consideration.

Ammo: Nothing exotic. Base your choice on your circumstances; Apt with thin walls vs. house in metro area. vs. house with acrage. You are responsible for what you send.

Jurors: Expect the prosecution to look for firearms ignorant people to be your "peers".

DA: Even in "friendly" territory don't bet on it; say the wrong thing and you just trashed your qualifed immunity.
Old June 14, 2019, 01:50 PM   #34
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

Not an attorney but a psychologist who did jury response research and a modicum of training.

Didn't mention in response to a post, skip the Shockwave, pistol grips - not easy to aim and you need to aim. For a home defense gun, the debatable shorter size of a Shockwave isn't an advantage.

To hold it at eye level, you need to extend it almost as far as a stocked gun.