The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 12, 2019, 12:25 PM   #1
REL1203

Own a 44Mag Rifle, should I buy a Revolver

So I own a .44mag Henry Big boy that I shoot with at the range every so often, and looking to get more out of the reloading I do for .44mag, should I bother buying a .44mag revolver purely for a range toy? Not sure if I am trying to talk myself in to or out of buying one, so looking for thoughts on if getting a, say ruger Super Blackhawk is worth the investment or would $700 be better allocated to a more useful (maybe cheaper to shoot) new range toy? I own a GP101 357mag that i shoot a lot, but I dont own any other revolvers (or any single action ones) so I was thinking the Ruger SBH to knock out both a SA and more use out of my .44mag reloads? I dont hunt, so it really will always just be a range boomer.

Thoughts?
Old June 12, 2019, 12:41 PM   #2
2damnold4this

I enjoy shooting mild .44 mag loads from my Ruger SBH.
Old June 12, 2019, 12:52 PM   #3
NoSecondBest

That's a hard question to answer. Everyone likes different things, and for different reasons. I've own/owned a half dozen 44mag revolvers over the years and I shoot thousands of rounds a year out of all my handguns combined. To be honest, I probably enjoy shooting the 44 the least of any of them. I shoot it well, but I simply can't say that I like it anywhere near as much as any other handgun I own that has less recoil. Even mild loads in the 44 are a bit of a handful. In order to get them down to the level of comfort/enjoyment that makes it somewhat enjoyable, I found out that I might just as well shoot something even milder and more accurate.....like a 45acp, light 357/38SPL, .22lr/.22mag, etc. They all shoot as well or better and are a lot more fun to shoot and a lot cheaper to shoot. Loading down to "comfort" levels with the .44mag handgun just gives you a bunch of bullets loaded up that you probably don't want to mix in with the rifle. If it were me, and it isn't, I'd probably look at something like a combo gun like the Ruger with a 9mm/357 cylinder set and play with them. Again, it's all about what personal preferences you have. I load my .44 down with Unique and a few other powders and it's not too bad, but for extended range sessions I think smaller is better.
Old June 12, 2019, 01:30 PM   #4
Nanuk

I have a Marlin and 2 Super Black Hawks in 44 magnum. One SBH has the 4 5/8" BBL and the other the Bisley with the 7 1/2" BBL. They are very enjoyable to shoot with even the wildest 44 magnum loads, but with light specials they are like shooting 22's.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old June 12, 2019, 01:36 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

You should buy a .44 revolver because you want to. "I want one." is a reason. I'd be thinking Vaquero, but that's just me. You didn't spend your youth watching Westerns.
You will have to work up a load for any revolver you buy though. The chances of both the Henry and any revolver shooting the same ammo to the same accuracy are slim.
Keep in mind that you can load Magnum brass to .44 Special velocities. Just like you can .357 cases to .38 Special specs.
Old June 12, 2019, 01:39 PM   #6
Rockrivr1

Buy a couple of Vaqueros in 44 mag and get yourself into Cowboy Action Shooting.
Old June 12, 2019, 03:14 PM   #7
Steve in PA

Well, I'm going about your way.....the opposite way.

I have several .44 Mag handguns, including a SBH. I'm dying to add a .44 Mag rifle to the mix. I'm a handgun hunter, but the rifle is calling my name.
Old June 12, 2019, 03:15 PM   #8
stagpanther

It's an acquired taste--some people like em--some don't. I sold my 44 mag revolver because the 41 mag gave me similar ballistics without wrist-jarring recoil.
Old June 12, 2019, 03:21 PM   #9
REL1203

I havent done much research, but maybe I should go 45LC for my SA revolver fix...
Old June 12, 2019, 04:12 PM   #10
stinkeypete

I started out .45LC and switched to .44 magnum because my dad gave me his beauty to take care of.

You’ll need new dies, cases, bullets and in return for doubling your inventory you will nor be able to tell the difference. Not one bit. Put 17g of 2400 under 240g cast bullets, put that load in a .44 magnum Blackhawk and a .45 LC Blackhawk and you simply can’t tell the difference. Either can be loaded down or loaded up just the same.

.45 Colt does give the opportunity to load some of the oddball muzzle loader ballistic tip bullets, but as you don’t hunt there is only the “huh, you can do it” factor.

.45 Colt is what the cool cowboys shoot, but as I am past being cool, .44 Magnum is fine for me. Both cartridges have a long and rich history.

I recommend picking up a used Ruger Blackhawk with adjustable sights and a 5 1/2 inch barrel.

Loads can go from about 6 grains of Unique on up for 240 grain hard cast. I like Unique as it tends to load “mild to hot”, 2400 for “hot to wild”, and lil’ gun for hand cannon loads.

Hot loads will remind you about all the bad habits you can have handgunning- pushing a shot, pulling, flinching, forgetting to “double muff” (in ear plugs AND muffs both!) cuz it’s freaky loud.

Get the .44... you already have the stuff for it and think how irksome it will be to have to double-purchase 240 g wadcutters in both calibers!
Old June 12, 2019, 05:01 PM   #11
JERRYS.

I don't know if he is still there, but Berne at Virginia Arms was the best place in your area for anything guns-n-ammo.
Old June 12, 2019, 05:15 PM   #12
RaySendero

I'm with T. O'Heir and Rockrivr1
You need a reason to buy a 44M pistol.

Because "I want one." is a good reason to me!
Getting into cowboy action shooting,
A 44M is a good stopper for 2 & 4 legged varmints in outdoors - Hunting or hiking,
Good snake killer with shot capsules on ground or out on water fishing.

Lots of good reasons to own a 44M.
Being already set-up to reload is just "icing on the cake".
Old June 12, 2019, 05:29 PM   #13
Targa

My .44 SBH is on the top of my list for range days. I will never get rid of it.
Old June 13, 2019, 03:32 PM   #14
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
Buy a couple of Vaqueros in 44 mag and get yourself into Cowboy Action Shooting.
I was gonna say Ruger has not chambered the Vaquero for 44 Mag for a long time, ever since the introduction of the New Vaquero. Just 45 Colt and 357 Mag.

But apparently their are some dealer exclusive models that are chambered for 44 Mag now.
Old June 13, 2019, 04:30 PM   #15
Hanshi

I would get one; but that's just me. I've killed deer with full power .44 loads but mostly it's been mid-range loads at around 1150 fps. All my big bores get the same (one) load; 18 grains of 2400 and a cast swc. With this load my.45 Colt Ruger BH delivers 1260 fps, vying with the .44 mag. I, too, have a .44 mag rifle and like having both, revolver and rifle. I don't shoot heavy loads much anymore but they DO have their uses. I'm also a huge fan of the .41 mag and feel it's the ideal deer round for my use.
Old June 13, 2019, 05:47 PM   #16
Geezerbiker

If you want one don't bother trying to justify it, just get it... I used to have a single shot .44 mag rifle and later on I got my Ruger Super Blackhawk. I found out very quickly that they didn't like the same ammo.

I sold the rifle and replace it with a .45-70 but the revolver will be with me for life...

Tony
Old June 13, 2019, 09:20 PM   #17
FrankenMauser

I own several "range boomers" (though I do also hunt).
I have owned a .44 Mag since I was 17 years old. Oddly enough, the .44 "collection" has only grown to two over those years. -- Sold the original Ruger SBH, eventually got it back, and added a S&W M29.

Great cartridge. Easily one of my favorites.

A few years ago, I added a Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag to the herd. Tons of fun. Love it.

But if you told me that one of the .44 Mags had to go, for any reason, the rifle would move on to its next owner before either of the revolvers.

To me, .44 Mag is a revolver cartridge. That's where it belongs.
Old June 13, 2019, 09:37 PM   #18
sarge912

You might wish to consider a Ruger Redhawk.

Double when you need it or single when you want it. (Wolff springs strongly suggested.)

I load up .44 Mag to .44 Special specs, just like Dirty Harry did (See Magnum Force for reference.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs8AqzN9Ga4
Old June 13, 2019, 10:22 PM   #19
kenny53

I would be tempted to buy the revolver . I bought a Marlin lever action 357 Mag and had to buy a single action revolver in 357. Ended up with a Ruger SS Blackhawk. Fun to take to the range and the desert. Like you I don't hunt, did when I was younger but younger left me years ago. So anything I buy is a range toy. Please post pictures when you get it
Old June 15, 2019, 07:47 PM   #20
Cosmodragoon

Should you get a revolver in .44 magnum? Yes! Absolutely! Even if you didn't already have the Big Boy, it's a nice thing to have. The cartridge is versatile. Between the rifle and a handgun with sufficient barrel length, you or your heirs could hunt with it down the line too.

Yes, I said heirs. The fact is that the items in question here have inherent value and will last a long time if you take care of them. Both the rifle and revolver have a classic feel to them already and that adds to the experience of owning them.

As to the other question, I'd say that there is a value in pairing a rifle and revolver in .44 magnum. The real question is if you want go full cowboy and get the .44 revolver in single action. As stinkeypete said though, "45 Colt is what the cool cowboys shoot". Personally, I'd get a Redhawk in .44 mag to pair with your current rifle. Down the line, I'd get an SBH in .45 Colt and a second Big Boy in .45 Colt to match it.
Old June 15, 2019, 08:13 PM   #21
HighValleyRanch

delete, answered in wrong thread!!!
Old June 16, 2019, 07:00 AM   #22
arquebus357

If you must buy a Ruger revolver, avoid their single action pieces. If you insist on one, DO NOT disassemble further than removing the cylinder. You would be much better served by the Red Hawk models. Just my $.02
Old June 16, 2019, 07:33 AM   #23
Road_Clam

When I research a purchase I try to ask myself "what unique niche will it fill?". It's not just about contemplating a caliber choice it's also about velocity and intended usage. Sometimes i'm in the mood for mild plinking, or flat , fast precision. Other times I just want a fierce BOOM thumping steel gongs to put a smile on my face regardless of precision. Ive got 24 firearms that IMO fill every possible shooting scenario but don't really have any duplicates. I have a few .308's but each is for a specific niche. My Savage 12 FTR is for competition, My R700 ACC-SD is for subsonic suppressed, and my M1A is for that wonderful "nostalgic" battle rifle experience. I have a few 9mm's but again a different need is filled. I have a SA RO 1911 in 9mm which is my precision proficiency advancement handgun, I have a Beretta 92 which belongs to my wife , and I have a 9mm Uzi which is more of a fun versatile plinker. I was thinking a 44 mag revolver or possibly a 41 mag revolver but where I already own a Desert Eagle 44 mag, neither of the revolver choices made much sense. I handload as well which adds much more versatile options to my shooting experiences.
Old June 16, 2019, 08:58 AM   #24
Auto5

Why not? Rossi M92 and SBH (5.5" bbl) here.
Old June 16, 2019, 09:33 AM   #25
buck460XVR

Iffin you enjoy shooting your .357 revolver, odds are you'll enjoy shooting a .44. The versatility of .44 mag is a highly debated subject, but it works for me. I have two .44 revolvers and two .44 carbines. They all see both range fun and hunting scenarios. I load from mild to wild and they all find their way downrange at some point.