The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 6, 2019, 02:41 PM   #1
mrcharlie3531

Florida ccw Permit Process

After years of procrastinating, I finally applied my for my ccw permit. It was a very simple and easy process. I did everything my self. I went to the sheriffs depot for finger prints.. Next to Walgreen's for passport picture, I did the application online then printed it out. A check for $97.00. A copy of my dd214 form. My permit arrived 41 days later.

Charlie
Old May 6, 2019, 03:08 PM   #2
TailGator

Many of the county licensing and tax collector offices are doing them. Makes it a one-stop process. The initial permit then comes in the mail, but for renewals you leave with the permit in hand.
Old May 6, 2019, 06:33 PM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

Congratulations and welcome to the World of CC!
Old May 6, 2019, 08:03 PM   #4
ms6852

It gets easier every time you renew now.
Old May 6, 2019, 09:19 PM   #5
MoArk Willy

Most likely it's different in other states. Here in Missouri after you have your CCW class documentation you go to the sheriffs office for fingerprinting and photo. Then you wait for a maximum of 45 days. Mine took a week. In the past you had to go to sheriffs for fingerprinting. Then after you got your paperwork you had to go to the DMV for a CCW ID.
Now the sheriff takes care of everything.
Old May 7, 2019, 10:21 AM   #6
TomNJVA

CCW permits are a lot easier here in Virginia. Just fill out the application, include proof of having taken a safety course (can be done online) and a $50 check and bring them to the sheriff's office. No special IDs, fingerprinting, photos, or references. The Sheriff's office does a background check and you are done. Had my permit in just six days.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:01 AM   #7
Pahoo

Good for you and Florida

Quote:
I went to the sheriffs depot for finger prints.. Next to Walgreen's for passport picture, I did the application online then printed it out. A check for $97.00. A copy of my dd214 form. My permit arrived 41 days later.
So much for the uninformed who claim Florida and other states, just hand them out, like coupons. ….

Not to hijack this thread but what should you need in order to obtain one. I know a RSO, collector and dedicated shooter. Who was a good guy in Iowa and after moving to Illinois, became a bad guy. Went through the process, long waiting periods and cost him an excess of $400.00. ….

We all know folks that have a CCW, that should not be carrying and then their are folks who are more than qualified and don't. ….

Be Safe
Old May 7, 2019, 11:14 AM   #8
davidsog

Quote:
CCW permits are a lot easier here in Virginia.
Virginia's CCW permit is also much more restrictive. Florida issues a Concealed Weapons Permit meaning knives, billy clubs, stun guns, etc....

Pretty much any weapon can be carried concealed in Florida by a Florida CCW permit holder. For example I carry an extra magazine, flashlight, and a folding knife which is all covered by my CCW permit in Florida.

Virginia only allows handguns.

Quote:
Any person 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the clerk of the circuit court of the county or city in which he or she resides, or if he is a member of the United States Armed Forces, the county or city in which he is domiciled, for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun.
Quote:
What are the laws concerning knives; specifically, the carrying of a non-concealed knife, and are there knife designs, blade sizes, etc., that are prohibited?
Virginia Code Section 18.2-311 describes certain weapons, including some knives, which are illegal to possess in Virginia. Additionally, refer to Virginia Code Section 18.2-308 for specific prohibitions concerning concealed weapons. It is suggested that you contact your county or city authorities to inquire as to whether or not there are applicable local ordinances.
http://www.vsp.virginia.gov/Firearms.shtm
Old May 7, 2019, 12:06 PM   #9
osbornk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomNJVA View Post
CCW permits are a lot easier here in Virginia. Just fill out the application, include proof of having taken a safety course (can be done online) and a $50 check and bring them to the sheriff's office. No special IDs, fingerprinting, photos, or references. The Sheriff's office does a background check and you are done. Had my permit in just six days.
It's even easier in Smyth County west of you. Our latest sheriff provides the course free of charge and waives the background fee of $35 they used to charge. I think the permit fee is now $15 and you do it through the Clerk of the Court's office. The $50 fee was the maximum they can charge by law.
Old May 7, 2019, 07:27 PM   #10
laytonj1

Quote:
So much for the uninformed who claim Florida and other states, just hand them out, like coupons. ….
Here in Alabama my wife and I walked in to the sheriffs office, filled out a short form, handed them our drivers licenses, they took our pictures and out we walked with our concealed carry permits. Took about 20 minutes. No classes, no fingerprints, no waiting for it to arrive in the mail. Good for 5 years. Cost was zero because both my wife and I are retired military. Otherwise it would have been $20 per year.

Jim