The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 26, 2018, 06:10 PM   #1
SmokeyLonesome

Marlin Camp 9 or Marlin Camp 45?

Anyone in here have one? I have the Camp 9. Mint condition. Had it for almost ten years now. Been a Safe Queen all its life.
Old July 30, 2018, 08:56 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

I had a Camp 9 for some time. Never could bring myself to like it much, mainly due to the stock.

I thought about restocking it, but a friend offered me more than I paid for it, so off it went.

I've not seen a Camp .45 in a LONG time.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 30, 2018, 03:56 PM   #3
KROIL

I have a camp 9. Hated the stock so I dropped it into a Choate folding stock. I then added a scope. Owners of the 9's & 45's that fire them alot should keep an eye on the recoil buffers as they will crack and crumble with age and then will cause damage. If yours is original replace it. My nine is pretty accurate. I installed a heaver recoil spring so I can fire some of my hotter reloads. To tell the truth I really dont shoot it much mainly because it is a royal pain in the rear to tear down and clean. Blowback actions are dirty.
Old July 30, 2018, 08:09 PM   #4
Mobuck

I have a Camp 9 mostly because it shares magazines with my S&W 915. Before my conversion to the AR as a "duty carbine", the mag sharing was important. Now, not so much but I'm not going to get rid of the Camp 9. I've changed out the buffer even though the original was still OK. Not a big deal effort or cost wise.
I suppose if I had a 45 pistol, I'd likely "need" a Camp 45.
Old July 30, 2018, 09:07 PM   #5
Model12Win

I like that it takes 1911 bullets and clips.

Need to be more automatic rifles that shoot that high power round and take 1911 clips.
Old July 30, 2018, 11:41 PM   #6
10-96

I've got a Camp 9, and like was said above, the thing shoots dirty big time. BUT, it is such a fun little rifle! I put a circle reticle type shotgun scope on it and it's only icing on the cake.

I used to keep an eye out for the .45 version, but holy smokes, those things have appreciated in the last 7 or 8 years!

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old July 31, 2018, 04:07 AM   #7
turkeestalker

Yes they have appreciated!
I snagged an M45 about mid year last year and love it simply for the fun it provides.
After researching a bit I did change out the recoil spring and replaced the buffer, then picked up a couple of Chip McCormick Power 10 magazines which it seems to like.
Mine came with an old Bushnell Banner 1-4x mounted on it which is perfect, swapped the mount from a see through abominations to one of the old Weaver pivot mounts, which is way better.
It's darned accurate for what it is being a pistol caliber carbine and hasn't proven picky about ammo at all.
Old July 31, 2018, 07:42 AM   #8
Onward Allusion

I had one for a number of years. It was a plinker. Decent accuracy at short range.
Reasonably priced back then, but they are overpriced nowadays.

Kinda like Liked the fact that it used 59 series mags. Like many have said. Stock was meh - too short and heavy. Even the Hi Point 9mm Carbine has better ergos. I can't imagine paying $600 for a used Camp 9 when one can get a new Ruger, Kel-Tec, or even Hi Point for less.
Old July 31, 2018, 07:58 AM   #9
9x19

Have owned both in the past, be very careful with any chlorinated solvents. The plastic Marlin used for the trigger housing isn't resistant and will melt like butter if you use them.

Mine were always accurate and reliable, but yes, heavy. I too restocked a 9mm with a Choate folder but that just made it heavier!

I sold mine (along with a few other 9mm carbines) a few years back, once I settled on the AR platform for my uses.