The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 26, 2012, 07:51 PM   #1
C0WGIRL

HELP with Gun Safe

We just bought a 2005 John Deere Gun safe, combination dial. The sellers gave us all the paper work, the keys, etc... Opened it up, (it wasn't locked) showed us the inside, very nice, like new inside and out. We got it home, and installed in the bedroom, husband loaded all his guns in it, closed the door, took the key to lock it up, key won't got in... the dial is on 87. NOT 0. We can't get the key to even start. We can't move the dial, to put it to 0, to fit the key, the combinatin dial is locked at 87.
We can open and close the door with the handle. We just can't lock it. Called the people that we purchased it from, they swear its the correct keys, they said that a neighbor kid had spun the dial and they didn't realize that it locked it up. Does anyone know if we can take the backing off the door and somehow get the tumblers to 0, so we can get the key to go in? Before we have to call in the locksmith, who wouldn't be able to get to us until next week. We want these guns locked up now. Help, anyone???
Old March 26, 2012, 08:54 PM   #2
Bill Daniel

Help with Gun safe

I have a Fort Knox that ends on 87 to allow the bolts to open or close. Can you close the door and extend the bolts? That is what I do to then spin the dial and then I can lock the dial with the key.
Bill Daniel

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903
Old March 27, 2012, 05:34 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Paging a1adbj. He is a locksmith.
Old March 27, 2012, 08:12 AM   #4
C0WGIRL

Yes, we can extend and retract the bolts. That dial will not move with the bolts in any postition. AND, we can't get the key in to unlock it. I don't know if it was possible to have the key yanked out while it was stuck in the combination dial and messed up the tumblers while not on the ZERO position or what. The kid who locked up the dial said he can't remember what he did, didn't remember if the key was in or not... The owners manual said to have the dial on ZERO when locking up the dial. But thats a good point, as to why its on 87.
It's actually a Liberty Safe, upon further reading, made for and sold by John Deere.
Old March 27, 2012, 10:09 AM   #5
PetahW

I would advise you to remove the key and run the combination to reset it & start from scratch.

Leave the dial strictly untouched, once the final combination number is reached, and operate the opening lever/wheel.

Reclose door, operate the opening lever/wheel to engage the locking bolts and then spin the dial several times to clear the combination, before locating the keyhole at the proper position for key locking - usually at the 6-oclock position.

Old March 27, 2012, 10:13 AM   #6
C0WGIRL

That is our problem. The dial will not budge. It is locked on 87. Even though the book says it will lock when on 0. The key will not go into the keyhole. The combination will not budge, not even wiggle. The door is unlocked. We can spin the 'handle' to shut and open the door. But the Combination lock, above the handle is locked on 87, and will not accept it's key. The previous owners swear that we have the keys that they used to open and close the door when they chose to lock it, before someone spun the dial off 0.
Old March 27, 2012, 11:23 PM   #7
a1abdj

Have you tried flipping the key upside down? The key should be stamped with a S&G logo, as well as the numbers 615, SGR615, or something similar. If it has those marking it is the correct key. If not, it is likely an incorrect key.

What you have is a dual position key locking dial that will lock the dial from turning when the lock is in the full open position. It will also lock the dial at 0. If you do get it open, make sure you lock the safe with the door open and verify that the combination you have works. Do not lock the safe with the door closed until you have verified that the combination works.

All of the keys for Liberty safes are the same. If you call them, they will send you a set. If you would like to e-mail me, I would be happy to do the same.
Old March 28, 2012, 09:09 AM   #8
C0WGIRL

Thank you, I wish I would have read this yesterday afternoon, before contacting Liberty. They also said we had the wrong keys. I had to have local law enforcement come out, verify that the safe was in my possesion, not stolen, and have him write up a letter on his/the Department letterhead, then I had to fill out a form, with my info, the safe info, have it notorized, then have everything faxed to Liberty, along with a check to cover the cost of new keys and shipping. WHEW. Hope the new keys solve the problem.
Old March 28, 2012, 10:25 AM   #9
chiefr

On some models of safes, the door has to be fully closed tight or the dial will not turn at all. While you are waiting for your keys, I would put pressure on the handle or wheel while trying to turn the dial at the same time.