The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 23, 2020, 11:43 AM   #26
stagpanther

Well, sounds like your running out of options--you could sell it to std7mag who is itching to put a couple new builds together.
Old February 23, 2020, 02:02 PM   #27
T. O'Heir

A pencil thin barrelled, synthetic stocked, .270 is a hunting rifle. The light weight was very popular in the 90's for Elk and other beasts living in high places. First shot accuracy is what's important.
That 2.5 MOA, providing it's consistent with a cold barrel, is plenty accurate for deer sized game. The inconsistency when hot is kind of typical of those thin barrels too.
Floating a barrel guarantees nothing. Some rifles like it, some just do not. I'd put a pressure point in. Dab of bedding material about 1 or 2 inches from the end on the fore stock. And try it.
Old February 23, 2020, 03:19 PM   #28
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
A pencil thin barrelled, synthetic stocked, .270 is a hunting rifle. The light weight was very popular in the 90's for Elk and other beasts living in high places. First shot accuracy is what's important.
That 2.5 MOA, providing it's consistent with a cold barrel, is plenty accurate for deer sized game. The inconsistency when hot is kind of typical of those thin barrels too.
Floating a barrel guarantees nothing. Some rifles like it, some just do not. I'd put a pressure point in. Dab of bedding material about 1 or 2 inches from the end on the fore stock. And try it.
Its 2.5 MOA cold. 5 days, 1 shot a day on the same target, 2.5 MOA. It has had a pressure point. All it did was cause more pronounced vertical string in the group.

I have a pencil thin Remington that will shoot 1/2 moa 5 shot groups shot 1 shot per day.

Last edited by reynolds357; February 23, 2020 at 03:41 PM.
Old February 23, 2020, 03:43 PM   #29
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Well, sounds like your running out of options--you could sell it to std7mag who is itching to put a couple new builds together.
It will get a new barrel. I dont ever sell Savage actions.
Old February 23, 2020, 03:49 PM   #30
std7mag

And as much as i'd love a new action, i can't blame you one bit!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...