The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 10, 2019, 08:44 PM   #1
Django11

Looking for some quality .223/5.56 ammo, only cheaper

I know this is an oxymoron, but I'm looking for some quality ammo at a little more affordable price. The main use would be for "quality plinking" in a couple of my ARs. Barrel twists are 1:7 and they prefer ~75 grain bullets. I've had good luck with Hornady Black ammo which I can find for around $0.70/round. Now I'm curious if there is something else worth trying out.

Two kinds that caught my eye are Magtech First Defense Tactical 77gr bthp and Black Hills remanufactured 75gr. There was some high praise for the Black Hills in some online reviews.

Anybody try these or anything else in this price range that you like/dislike. I'm going to start reloading in the near future so that will come in time, but for now, I'm curious about trying something different.

Thanks in advance.
Old April 10, 2019, 08:54 PM   #2
riffraff

Checkout midway for Frontier/Hornady Match ammo, works great in my experience. See the 75 grain on sale now, link below..

Also i like the frontier/hornady non match 62 grain nato stuff, which often goes on sale in the 35 cents a round ballpark. Its not green tip, i think its a better quality fmj general purpose round.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...oat-tail-match
Old April 10, 2019, 09:26 PM   #3
Mobuck

I've been using the Frontier 55HP "match" since it came out. Unless you're a dedicated accuracy freak, this stuff is good enough.
Old April 10, 2019, 09:37 PM   #4
Django11

I've tried various types of the Frontier line of ammo and it's not bad, good enough for what I'm using it for in this case. The thing is, I'm awfully curious about what else is out there that's worth trying.
Old April 10, 2019, 10:12 PM   #5
jmr40

This is the most accurate 223 ammo I've found. The photo is wrong. They make a 55 gr FMJ that is only so-so accurate. But they also have a 50 gr V-Max bullet that is scary accurate. And $25/50 rounds is a good price for that much accuracy.

I know that is a little on the light side, but even in my 7 twist AR's accuracy is great.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Fioc...1.uts?slotId=1

Winston Churchill
Old April 11, 2019, 07:30 AM   #6
Mobuck

There are several commercial reloaders selling product these days. I used to buy from a guy who did a really good job but he was forced out of business by the cost of insurance and the low priced steel cased stuff from Europe.
There's a +/- to choosing ammo based on cost alone and in many cases, the chance of a huge - is more than I will gamble.
Old April 11, 2019, 08:13 AM   #7
MagnumWill

I hate to say it, but reloading sooner rather than later is a better option. I kept saying the same thing until the wife got me a single stage press for Christmas (looks for Black Friday deals) and suddenly *all* ammo was cheap accurate ammo. My "plinking" loads match the performance of high-end manufacturers, and then you can be pretty particular about exactly which bullets you want to use.

Until then I also didn't realize that XM855 (for me) is only good for the cases it generates.

Plus, looking at ot another way - when I learned that any accuracy qualms I was having about any of my rifles, substituting handloads and getting the results you want does delay the onslaught of optics purchases in the long run.
Old April 11, 2019, 02:29 PM   #8
precision_shooter

Both Magtech and Black Hills are premier ammo manufacturers, so either should be good quality ammo.
Don’t overlook PPU/PRVI Partisan as well for decent plinking ammo.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old April 11, 2019, 02:31 PM   #9
FITASC

Reloading will solve your issue
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 11, 2019, 05:43 PM   #10
rickyrick

Cheap and good don’t really go along with ammunition in the 5.56/.223 variety but there is some exceptions.

I haven’t found it much lately but American Eagle 50gr open tip was pretty accurate for me.

Reloading is probably the best option for you, but I’m not a reloading expert.
Old April 11, 2019, 05:47 PM   #11
Mike38

A couple years ago I bought a case of ZQI 62gr 5.56 for a reasonable price. I've only shot 60 rounds of it, and it was surprisingly accurate in my Saiga AK223.
Old April 11, 2019, 09:19 PM   #12
Eazyeach

I 2nd the Fiochhi 50gr V-Max. That stuff is good. It’s accurate out of my BCM 1/7 twist and my Remington VTR 1/9 twist. Very nice ammo although lighter than what you are asking for.
Old April 12, 2019, 08:47 AM   #13
precision_shooter

I get a flyer from SG ammo. Below are some of the options they have right now.
Not sure if you e tried the 62 grain, but may be a lot cheaper alternative to what you normally run.

900 rounds 62 grain open tip Winchester - $276 shipped. $0.31 per round
https://www.sgammo.com/product/223-5...ammo-usa3162w-

1000 rounds 62 grain XTac Green Tip FMJ PMC - $326 shipped. $0.33 per round.
https://www.sgammo.com/product/223-5...-556k-lap-ammo

500 rounds 77 grain open tip match, IMI - $349 shipped. $0.698 per round.
https://www.sgammo.com/product/223-5...o-made-israe-0
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old April 12, 2019, 09:13 PM   #14
kymasabe

I use Ammo by Pistol Pete, functions flawlessly and is very clean burning, Google to find, good prices, can ship to you.
Old April 12, 2019, 11:10 PM   #15
DnPRK

Start reloading.

You control the quality of the reloads.

A single stage press kit and small base dies will get you started.
Old April 12, 2019, 11:56 PM   #16
JERRYS.

got 200 rounds of Winchester 55 gr. fmj for $58 today at Wal-Mart.
Old April 13, 2019, 07:42 AM   #17
Django11

Thanks for all the posts. It sounds like I'll have to try the Fiocchi. I'm not looking for the cheapest ammo out there; I'm looking for some ammo that preforms well but costs a little less than $1/pop. I have thousands of the bulk $0.30/round stuff and I'm looking for better quality than that. As far as reloading goes, I'll be getting into that fairly soon. Right now I'm just more curious than anything about trying something different. That all being said, a friend of mine had some Black Hills 60 grain remanufactured that he gave me to try out so we'll see how that goes.
Old April 13, 2019, 08:33 AM   #18
Joe-ker

Fiochii seems to be a good buy. As a reloader when I see its price on the shelf I often wonder why I reload. I can beat it but I don't count my time.
Old April 13, 2019, 10:42 AM   #19
Eazyeach

That Winchester 62 gr. Open tip seems like a great deal.
Old April 13, 2019, 12:46 PM   #20
T. O'Heir

"...only cheaper..." Reload. Although it's not always cheaper. It does give you much better ammo. You don't necessarily need Small Base dies either.
If you're not reloading, you need to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your rifle shoots best. The price of it means nothing.
Midway is showing that 75 grain Hornady stuff as being on No Backorder. Means it's no available. They show Tula steel cased 55's crappola at $224.99 per 1,000 too.
Old April 14, 2019, 10:57 AM   #21
COSteve

"Looking for some quality .223/5.56 ammo, only cheaper"

Learn to handload. Buy components in bulk and make your own. I still have some 55grn 5.56 components from a very large bulk buy I made years ago that allow me to still handload XM-193 ammo (LC brass, reloadable, 55grn fmj bullets) for a whopping 8½¢ per rd. That's only $81 per 1,000rds.
Old April 15, 2019, 02:04 AM   #22
stagpanther

Quote:
Don’t overlook PPU/PRVI Partisan as well for decent plinking ammo.
Agreed--this is well made IMO and I can sometimes find it in cut-rate priced battle packs which I think are definitely a cut above fed's budget stuff and more accurate as well.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:26 AM   #23
veprdude

I've had good results with the Magtech/CBC 77 gr OTM stuff. I think it's branded now as "Sniper" or something in a green and white box. 77 gr Sierra Matchking. Can be found for about $.50/round in bulk.

I got something like .66 MOA (100yd) in a 5 shot group with a RRA 20" Varmint and Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 Scope with green dot. Bipod and sandbags. This is not bragging as I'm sure it could do better. The green dot is maybe .5-.75MOA at 100 yards. So a fine reticle and lead sled would show the best results.

Pretty happy with well below sub-MOA results for 50 cents on a mid level factory AR with non-precision scope.
Old May 13, 2019, 07:07 AM   #24
Mobuck

Although it's not much cheaper than brass case ammo, the Hornady "Steel Match" is pretty darned accurate. Last Friday, I sent 5 rounds from my pickup beater AR toward a freshly painted 300 meter steel using the pickup window and a glove as a rest. The "group of splatters" on the steel was under 3".
Old May 13, 2019, 08:43 AM   #25
Charlie98

You are going to need to see if your 1/7 barrel can shoot a quality 55grn bullet well. Some do, some don't... my Colt H-bar 1/7 does not, at least nothing that I've ever tried. If yours does, you are in high cotton. Key word is 'quality,' which usually means 'not FMJ.'

FWIW, even though Green Tip is 62grn, I've not found it to be much more accurate than standard 55grn M193... and at the end of the day it's not really intended for accuracy, anyway.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."