The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 31, 2014, 10:21 PM   #1
DennisCA

A question for Steyr M95 Experts

I love my Steyr M95 Carbine -except when I shoot it

(it's kind of a love/hate relationship)

Seriously though the bolt is a b***h to operate - I've used (almost) all lubes known to man-kind (or at least to me) but it is still hard to work. Not so much pushing it forward but more so after the shot (extracting the round).
I've cleaned it completely so It's free of any dreaded cosmoline.

Being I have a limited knowledge in this area can I some experts to chime in on this?

Danke Schon!
Old January 1, 2015, 12:43 AM   #2
DT Guy

Is it difficult to initially move the bolt to unlock, or to move it when extracting the casing? Could be different issues-

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old January 1, 2015, 03:19 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I am not sure what was expected. Those rifles are normally fairly hard to operate even when not firing. After firing they can be a real problem as they have little primary extraction so that work that is done with much better leverage by lifting the bolt handle on a Mauser has to be done by pulling the bolt handle on the Mannlicher.

Jim
Old January 1, 2015, 10:25 PM   #4
barnbwt

You probably have junk or a bur in you chamber that must be forced past using the reduced leverage of the bolt cam. Same thing that plagues many Mosins, but you can beat on those so it's less of an issue. Only other thing it could be is the receiver is warped, but that would be apparent even after unlocking the bolt. Actually, it could also be the bolt head is not being supported properly when unlocked; if your bolt head snaps down when removed from the gun, it could be trying to twist down when retracted, and binding on the rails.

TCB
Old January 2, 2015, 12:13 PM   #5
tahunua001

I just use break free CLP and I have had zero issues with mine. as much of a PITA as it is, did you break apart the bolt and clean inside as well?
Old January 2, 2015, 03:22 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...my Steyr M95 Carbine..." Which one and are you using the right ammo?
There's the Cavalry Carbine and the Short Rifle. Both using 8x50R Mannlicher, but there were conversions too that didn't use that ammo.
Old January 3, 2015, 12:48 AM   #7
tahunua001

actually the vast majority of carbines were rechambered to 8x56R and the few remaining 8x50Rs are nearly all long rifles.
Old January 3, 2015, 03:00 AM   #8
johnwilliamson062

Isn't this indicative of an overpressure?
Old January 3, 2015, 10:34 AM   #9
mapsjanhere

Isn't this indicative of an overpressure?
It can be, especially if it only shows with specific brands or reloads. In a modern, otherwise smoothly operating rifle it would probably be the first suspicion, but in a 100 year old surplus rifle, who knows.
Old January 3, 2015, 11:10 AM   #10
tangolima

Deleted

Last edited by tangolima; January 3, 2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old January 3, 2015, 12:04 PM   #11
tangolima

I deleted my first post because I thought I should look at my rifles first. Surely enough I was wrong.

Different from turn bolts, straight pulls' lock lugs have pitch. They are like screw threads. As the action locks up, the bolt also moves forward slowly. As the action unlocks, the bolt moves back slowly, which is the primary extraction. In other words, unlocking and primary extraction are done in one swooth.

You sticky bolt could be caused by rough chamber or the rounds being too hot. Was it factory or hand loads you were shooting? Was there any bright spot on the ejected brass?

-TL
Old January 4, 2015, 05:03 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

True about the bolt lugs having pitch, but the force that can be applied using the cams of the straight pull rifle is not nearly as much as that exerted by the force arm of the bolt handle in a bolt action rifle. The straight pull is faster, but you "don't get nuttin' for nuttin", as a wise man once said.

Jim
Old January 4, 2015, 08:36 PM   #13
johnwilliamson062

If it really gets stuck:
While kneeling hold the hand guard with your left hand, the bolt firmly with your right and drive the butt of the rifle into the ground continuing the downward pressure exerted by your right hand to continue down.
I was told, by someone here if I remember correctly, that is the way to exert the most force without damaging the rifle.
Old January 4, 2015, 08:59 PM   #14
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by James K View Post
True about the bolt lugs having pitch, but the force that can be applied using the cams of the straight pull rifle is not nearly as much as that exerted by the force arm of the bolt handle in a bolt action rifle. The straight pull is faster, but you "don't get nuttin' for nuttin", as a wise man once said.

Jim
The straight pull is indeed lagging in mechanical advantage, but I wouldn't say they are too far apart from turn bolt. They are in the same order of magnitude at least. It is all in the details.

The camming pitch for primary extraction in 89/11 is very slow. The handle moves back quite a bit for the lock lugs to move fraction of their width, and the bolt head move back the first 1/32" or so. The mechanical advantage is not minute.

On the other hand, certain bolt guns have rather stubby handle, perhaps to quicken the cycling. Mosin nagant is one example. Their mechanical advantage for primary extraction is less than, say, Mauser design.

One is supposed to yank, not to pull gingerly, when opening a straight pull action. The hammering effect aids the operation. I have fired plenty of gp11 rounds from my k31 and 89/11. I don't feel the extraction and ejection noticeably difficult than other bolt guns. GP11 is no wimpy round either.

-TL
Old January 4, 2015, 11:34 PM   #15
DennisCA

"DT Guy - Is it difficult to initially move the bolt to unlock, or to move it when extracting the casing?"

It's hard when you are trying to extracting the casing (after firing).

The ammo I'm using is this stuff:
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old January 9, 2015, 02:07 PM   #16
BoogieMan

I love mine (hungarian made) except for the sharp but plate. Is it possible that your being to gentle from the onset?
Are you seeing any marks on the ejected case after firing? Have you taken the bolt apart, cleaned and re-assembled? Is it an issue with a empty chamber? If not than can you cycle a cartridge without firing?
I ran a china stone through the corners of the bolt channels when I first got it as it had some rough spots. Its very difficult to overcome any steel to steel binding. I only use a couple drops of synthetic (lucas lube) and work in good before wiping the excess away.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 7, 2015, 07:42 PM   #17
Chester Goode

Struggle with M95 bolt

It helps if you pull the cocking lug back and then rack the bolt. I know it defeats the purpose of the bolt operation method, but it will keep you from hurting your hand with the bolt handle. Question to those more experienced..... would it help (and be safe) to file and smooth the rail that the bottom of the extractor moves upon up to and stopping near the firing chamber? That seems to be a point where friction makes cycling the bolt difficult.