The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 6, 2014, 12:16 PM   #1
P5 Guy

Handgun Question

Did the DCM or CMP ever offer surplus handguns?
I was reading on another chat board that the military was looking into a better sidearm. This got me wondering if surplus M9 pistols and accessories would become available? Surplus 9mm ammunition?
Old July 6, 2014, 12:29 PM   #2
Don P

If they do offer M9's they surely will NOT be C&R because of age. I'll ask this question did the government release all the 1911's when they switched to the Beretta's? I doubt you will see the M9's come to market if side arms are changed out.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 6, 2014, 01:46 PM   #3
tahunua001

Quote:
I was reading on another chat board that the military was looking into a better sidearm. This got me wondering if surplus M9 pistols and accessories would become available? Surplus 9mm ammunition?
It's a tricky situation. clinton banned military surplus ammo from being sold to civilians so there never will be surplus lake city 9mm ammo sent to the CMP, all of the surplus 30-06 is from HXP in greece, not lake city, though I'm not sure if they were able to get lake city 06 in the not so distant past.

as for M9s, I'm not really sure about handguns. the CMP mainly functions as a public service project to teach americans the finer points of marksmanship(hence the name). as it is they are under a great deal of scrutiny from the anti gun crowd and even other nations who see them as an organization which is arming and training the american public. it is somewhat justifiable in it's current state as all the weapons they've sold are old, outdated rifles but not so outdated handguns could be a completely different matter. CMP would also have to make sure handgun buyers are 21 rather than 18, it just seems like it would be a huge disaster logistically, and public relations-wise....

also... military M9s and m11s have the snot beat out of them for years and the morons assigned to take care of them rarely do... I would never buy a military surplus M9 unless the CMP was letting them go for $200 or less.
Old July 6, 2014, 05:00 PM   #4
kilimanjaro

According to legend, there are quite a few 1911s made by Singer still on the Army books. We'll never see those, either.
Old July 6, 2014, 05:48 PM   #5
gyvel

Quote:
According to legend, there are quite a few 1911s made by Singer still on the Army books. We'll never see those, either.
And a friend of mine knew of a National Guard post in New Jersey where there were two of them.
Old July 6, 2014, 06:22 PM   #6
Dfariswheel

The old Director of Civilian Marksmanship (DCM) program did sell surplus pistols to NRA members.

When guns were declared surplus, an ad was placed in the American Rifleman magazine and members could send in a request.
Orders were filled in order received until stocks were exhausted.

The pistols sold were Colt and S&W Model 1917 .45 revolvers and Model 1911 and 1911-A1 .45 Automatics.
I think the surplus Colt New Army & Navy .38 Long Colt revolvers were all gone by the time the DCM was established.

After the DCM was disestablished Congress chartered the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) which is still in business.
By the Congressional charter, the CMP is forbidden to sell any pistols or pistol ammunition, so you will never see any remaining 1911 pistols or any M9 pistols or ammo.
Old July 6, 2014, 08:31 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

In the 1950's and 1960's, the Army sold M1911 and M1911A1 pistols through the DCM for $17.00. When those sales were shut down, the CMP was established, over the near fanatic objections of the left wing, led by Teddy Kennedy. But they did get one provision through, that no handguns were to be sold by CMP. Any change to that policy will require a change in the law and that is not likely at this time. Even if such a provision were to get through Congress, this President would certainly veto it.

Jim
Old July 6, 2014, 10:59 PM   #8
barnbwt

I thought there was a specific rule change regarding pistols and surplus, circa the Clinton years ; i.e., surplus sidearms would be shredded (or probably given to the most destitute of destitute police departments/academies). Didn't realize it was the CMP charter.

TCB
Old July 6, 2014, 11:23 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't know of any legal requirement that military surplus weapons be destroyed, only that handguns can't be sold to the public by CMP. The DoD has a separate program to supply police with equipment. Sales/gifts to foreign governments come under other programs.

Jim
Old July 7, 2014, 02:31 PM   #10
P5 Guy

What I've found

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/ammo.htm

CMP has offered for sale handgun ammunition. 9mm (sold out) 40S&W, 45ACP and 22lr (sold out)

CMP hasn't had American surplus .30'06 for a while but I have purchased Lake City .30 M2 Ball from them, 1967, 69 and 74.
Too bad about the handgun sales ban. But at the glacial pace the DoD moves M9s might be 50 years old when they get declared SURPLUS.