The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 8, 2010, 12:34 PM   #1
jvandy3

weird chinese air rifle

Recently mail-ordered a Chinese B-3 pellet rifle and had some interesting expierience with it. I know a lot of you think air rifles do not belong but in Pennsylvania and a lot of places they are rated as fire arms and many are powerful enough for small game. Anyway, even if you disagree you might find this interesting or amusing.
The rifle was supposed to be .177. I'd had one previously that really cooked (over 1000fps!) but I loaned it to a nephew who managed to break it but no biggie; it had cost $20.
When this new one arrived, it was in a box marked .177 and came with a little can of .177 pellets. Imagine my surprise when that first pellet fell right through the down-turned barrel and onto the floor!
Bummed, I tried nosing a .22 round into the end of the barrel to do a rough check and size and it didn't seem to fit so I bought a can of .20 pellets. But those fell right through the barrel as well.
Now here is where it gets really interesting. I searched over the gun and found no indication of caliber and no markings of any kind except on the rear of the receiver it is marked: "Hercho en EE.UU." which I thought at first might be some kind of strange caliber marking until I did a web search for translation and got: "Made in U.S.A."!
The box is clearly marked: "Made in China". I wonder what lawyers could make of that?
Anyway, turns out to be .22 caliber after all and punches out pretty good. Has a rear sight with knobs dialing in windage and range and I'm ok with it being .22 instead of .177, but weird.

Last edited by jvandy3; December 8, 2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old December 8, 2010, 02:25 PM   #2
Technosavant

Funky.

Usually, if you try to fit a bullet down the appropriate bore, it won't fit. When fired, the bullet will swage down slightly as it engages the rifling; if the bullet fits in there without a problem, it won't engage the rifle nor seal the bore; you'll have something that isn't going that fast because gas was leaking past it and it won't be that accurate anyway because it didn't take the rifling.

Have fun with the thing; I've seen some .22 cal pellet guns. When you're used to the .177 ones, the larger pellets look enormous.
Old December 8, 2010, 02:28 PM   #3
jimbob86

Quote:
Hercho en EE.UU."
Grey Market item intended to sell in Mexico, and they mispelled "Hecho" (Made)?
Old December 8, 2010, 07:29 PM   #4
sc928porsche

First thing I ever had was a Daisy BB rifle. I was six. When I turned 8 dad upgraded me with a Benjiman pump pellet rifle in .22 cal. Pellets were a little more difficult to come by, but they sure worked well on squirrels and rabbits. I still have both.
Old December 8, 2010, 07:32 PM   #5
blkft1

Yup,B-3 's from Chimeraxico? Never heard of that but not suprising.Some guys on the airgun forums have tutorials on how to tune them to increase performance,never done it myself when I owned a couple but was temped.Some perform great some dont so its kind'a hit or miss out of the box.

There not a bad air rifle,I used mine on sparrows quite abit.One word of caution though,dont rely on the beartrap to keep the piston at bay.That spring under pressure and the somewhat sharp edge of the loading port can mangle a finger[s] quick and bad.I always kept the cocking lever under my arm while loading as a precaution.

I used to also have a .177 sidelever B model [#??] that was a bullpup takedown,those are really cool and hit with authority.
Old December 10, 2010, 08:28 AM   #6
jvandy3

weird chinese airgun

Yeah, I've seen stuff on the web detailing modifications and warning about that breech mangling fingers. There is also a neat video showing how to easily replace a worn-out neoprene seal with a faucet washer.
My personal theories on this thing are these:

a. These chinese air guns were the entry level training rifle for recruits in the huge Chicom army; once they'd learned to shoot these things, they'd get issued a real rifle. That's why they look so much and wheigh like an SKS.

b. It is marked in Spanish: "made in U.S.A." because the intent was to pass them off on the Mexican and South American market.

Any how, thought some of you guys would be amused and seems some were. Good.
Old December 10, 2010, 08:36 AM   #7
Skans

My guess is it's a .22. It's hard for me to imagine how they would get the bore diameter out of spec to the point that no known pellet would work.

FWIW, I enjoy these threads about air rifles. I happen to have a Chinese B21/22. Nicely made, very accurate and very reliable. I did have to take it apart and clean out the metal dust before using it - fortunately I read about this and knew that this was standard procedure.

Tags
jvandy3