The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old September 15, 1999, 06:29 AM   #1
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

I initially posted these questions to the Full Auto Forum but have yet to get a reply so I thought I'd try over here. Yeah, I'm impatient.

2) Are there any practical ways to increase the inherent accuracy of this firearm?

3) What level of practical accuracy should be the goal of practice?

4) Using half size silhouette targets at fifty feet, firing two shot bursts on full auto with a 32 rd. magazine, I was able to place the shots from a full magazine into the head of the target with only one rd. missing the head. I was firing unbraced and standing. Stock extended and using the sights
Old September 15, 1999, 02:37 PM   #2
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Spartacus,

Sorry to burst yer bubble, but the Uzi isn't mean for tack-driving . Mine shoots to point-of-aim, and that's good enough for me. Although, I'm getting damn tired of the rear peep sight...

About the only way I can think of to accurize it would be to reduce the bolt/receiver clearance by squeezing the sides in a BAV (big-ass vise), or by shimming between the bolt and receiver. Of course, that would kill its reliability, which is the Uzi's strength.

I practice with TQ-19 silhouettes at 50 feet, trying to put 2 32-rounders and 2 25-rounders into the torso in semi-auto rapid fire. Half are from the shoulder, half are from the hip. You gotta remember that the 9mm is meant for CQB, not sniping. Ergo, one-big-hole accuracy isn't a real concern for me, as long as I'm not hitting the target in the next lane over.

------------------
"Taking a long view of history, we may say that
anyone who lays down his arms deserves whatever he gets."
--Jeff Cooper
Old September 15, 1999, 09:02 PM   #3
HankL

Spartacus, What more do you want to do than that with a UZI?
Sounds good to me!
Hank
Old September 16, 1999, 07:53 AM   #4
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

Hank,

I was quite pleased with my shooting. What I was trying to find out if that is about the limit of what is practical with the Uzi or if I was at the bottom of the barrel
Old September 16, 1999, 08:57 AM   #5
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Sounds like you want an SMG competition gun. These are built like competition handguns. There are several different classes (stock, modified, optical sights etc). Use the search for mgtomy (I think that's his alias) here on the full auto forum. He could give you more information if you're interested.
Old September 17, 1999, 12:17 AM   #6
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

The Uzi can be very acurate - but it requires a lot of practice and dedication.
Firing semi auto can be almost as acurate as say firing a Ruger auto...

With or with out a stock? If you dont have a stock get a sling and use it. You will see an improvement right off the bat.

------------------
"There is no limit to stupidity. Space itself is said to be bounded by its own curvature, but stupidity continues beyond infinity."
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Old September 17, 1999, 01:58 AM   #7
m16a2223

This is just a story, but it fits.
My Grandmother lives on a lake and her driveway comes across the dam. Several years ago we had a wild(feral)cat problem so I baited them on the dam. Now the bait spot was positivly over 100, maybe 130 yards from my room window. One day a very unlucky cat (solid white!) steped onto the road on the dam. UZI A model, think it was a win. silvertip .

Luke 22:36.....RKBA!......m16
Old September 17, 1999, 03:27 AM   #8
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

My Uzi is equipped with the metal folding stock. At 200 yds. from the prone position I can hit a dinner plate sized target with a 2 shot burst on full auto.
Old September 17, 1999, 05:53 AM   #9
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Well, then the only thing I can think of at that point would be a red dot gunsite.

Yes, you can put them on the a Uzi...

Good shooting by the way...

------------------
"There is no limit to stupidity. Space itself is said to be bounded by its own curvature, but stupidity continues beyond infinity."
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Old September 17, 1999, 11:18 PM   #10
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

George,

Can a red dot sight be fitted without altering the existing sights? And what are some you would recommend? I am totally ignorant about recent sight advances and innovations. BTW, that's a large dinner plate sized target

[This message has been edited by Spartacus (edited September 18, 1999).]
Old September 17, 1999, 11:59 PM   #11
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I would go with the milspec unit from AIM POINT.

As for the mount - I think is does replace the rear sight... But it of course doesnt get in the way of the cocking handle.

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Old September 18, 1999, 03:08 PM   #12
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

I'll certainly take a look at it. Thanks.
Old September 20, 1999, 12:11 AM   #13
Long Path

The couple of times that I got to shoot UZIs extensively were at a public 200 yd range, and off a rest it was no trick to consistantly hit a man-sized silohuette at 200 with the stock extended.

Which, of course, was all I asked of it. I then went back to triple-tapping the dinger at 50 on full auto and double tapping the dinger at 100 on semi. Very well-suited to the tasks, and extremely controlable. MUCH more accurate than, say, a Madsen, and only gave up a teensy bit of accuracy to the MP5, in my opinion. A good trade-off, considering the ruggedness of the weapon.

With sling used and the excelent folding stock fully extended, it was very controllable in F.A., and was a pussycat in S.A.

Wish to gawd I could tell you more.
Old September 20, 1999, 08:02 AM   #14
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

Long Path,

You could give me precise instructions on using the sling. I don't think I 've got the hang of it. Also, my Uzi seems to like a two shot burst as opposed to a three shot burst. I don't know if it's me or the weapon but a two shot burst seems to happen naturally while a three shot burst is something I have to work at. Any pros or cons on two shot burst versus three shot?

------------------
Byron Quick

Old September 21, 1999, 05:59 AM   #15
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Spart - I was sitting in an office today and on the table was a copy of the GUNS MAGAZINE Annual. In it was a photo of an UZI with a RED DOT SIGHT just like I mentioned. The mount looked like it went over the reciever just infront of the rear sight. There was only one pic and from a poor angle to view the mechaincs... But it looked snarley as heck. Makes me want to trade my Bushmaster for a good Uzi!

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Old September 21, 1999, 06:28 AM   #16
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

One more thing You may want to try as well. Take your sling and wrap your arm like your going to fire a rifle offhand. Tighten the tension to keep the gun as "locked in" as possible. Isometric tension can play a big factor in the way your weapon behaves. I have not fired a Uzi in about 10 years - but I remember it was tiresome holding it tucked in so tight... But I do remember that I considered it to be a very fast and precise weapon. If you cant have an MP5 - an Uzi is certainly one of the best options. 9MM or .45. The Uzi (dang - isnt it a fun name to say?) is one of the more underated systems out there these days. Once the MP5 got popular it was as if the Uzi was relegated to Miami Vice status. This is undeserved. Look where it comes from. Isreal is the one country that knows defense. They created the Uzi for that purpose. It isnt flashy or pretty. But it gets the job DONE, and it does so very well.

Dang it - I am going to be looking for one at the Gun show this weekend! There goes my new computer - again!

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Old September 21, 1999, 08:43 AM   #17
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

George,

What do you mean it isn't flashy or pretty?
My Uzi is beautiful! But then so is the Bushmaster and the HK 91.

Trade the Bushmaster? Uh Uh. I don't do that anymore. I miss every gun I have ever sold or traded. So I made a law for myself:
Thou shall scrimp and save for new weapons but shall never trade or sell weapons. Selling or trading the house, computer, or vehicles for weapons is allowable.

Damn good thing I'm a bachelor. It will take a special woman to put up with that crap. But look at what I've sold or traded:

M1 Carbine
M1 Garand by International Harvester
HK91 (used to have two-everyone needs two)
S&W 29 (went into withdrawal and had to buy another)
P38 shooter with matching numbers.
Colt Model 70
Dan Wesson .357 Pistol Pac
Colt Cobra
Ruger MkII
Marlin 335C in .35 Rem.
Charter Arms .44 Spl Target Bulldog
Mauser Hsc .32 ACP (is this the biggest .32 ACP ever made?)
Llama 1911 .38 Super Auto (my first handgun)

------------------
Byron Quick