The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 4, 1999, 12:05 PM   #1
Paul B.

Usually, I have no problem making a rifle shoot decent groups. However, I have a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 7x57 Mauser that absolutely refuses to shoot less than 6 in groups on the average. I have shimmed the action, (poor mans free float, this has worked numerous time as a test to see if free floating will work) Changed scopes and mounts. Super cleaned the barrel. Checked all screws for tightness, hell I,ve just about decided to sacrifice a goat at midnight. If anybody has any ideas, other than throwing that blankety-blank gun into a deep lake, I'd sure like to hear them. I think it wantsto shoot. Sometimes it's shoot a group as small as a dime. The next group can be as large as 8 inches. Same load. There is a gun show day after tommorrow, but I sure would feel guilty as hell pawning off that rifle on someone. Besides, it is the best fitting rifle I have ever had. I want this one to work.
Paul B.
Old November 4, 1999, 12:48 PM   #2
Gale McMillan
Member In Memoriam

It's a real choir to be able to make a rifle shoot that bad. I think you could turn your bullets around and shoot them backwards and not do that bad. If I were to make a quick guess I would suspect the crown. It doesn't take long to check that and a crown job is not that expensive.
Old November 4, 1999, 01:17 PM   #3
DeBee

That's an annoying problem especially with your best fitting rifle...

Because you have gotten good "dime sized" groups in the past, I would suspect the scope first- there might be something loose or broken inside the scope- sometimes the part is in place other times it's not. As you may know, a tiny movement inside the scope produces an exponential result on target.

If the gun has iron sights, I'd carefully shoot a couple groups as a control. Then you begin the tedious process of eliminating variables i.e. bedding, crown, trigger pull, mounts, too little torque, too much torque, caffiene quotient...

I know you where half joking about throwing the thing in a lake but I think the tweeking is worth it to get a good gun that fits you well, works right, and you can shoot with absolute confidence.
Old November 4, 1999, 02:51 PM   #4
NBumpo

Have to agree with Gale on this. I was in the same boat with a Mod. 70 Featherweight in 6.5 x55 and a recrown solved the problem.
Old November 5, 1999, 12:03 AM   #5
Paul B.

Thank's fellows. I put a brand new Nikon scope I had on it today, did the 25 yard thing to get it on paper, and shot for group at 100 yards. The first two shots touched, and the third was about three inches to the right. The next group was even larger. This was with Winchester 145 gr. ammo. That Nikon was the third scope I've put on that gun. I checked the crown under a magnifying glass, and it appears to be OK. I saw no burrs or anything else out of the ordinary.
I'll take it over to harry Lawson's tomorrow and see if he has any ideas.
Paul B.
Old November 5, 1999, 12:54 PM   #6
CapeFear

Just another voice in the choir here. I had a 375 a while back that would shoot several rounds into a big sloppy hole and then throw the next one nearly off the paper. Even though the crown looked perfect I had it recrowned out of frustration and then it shot great. Off course I later sold the rifle and now wish I had it back.