The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 9, 2017, 02:53 PM   #1
Renford

.357 (model 586) barrel assembly

Hey everyone.

I am totally new to this, so please be patient.

A hypothetical friend has a .357 S&W (model 586). It has a 4 inch barrel. The gun is like this (image 1)

Let's say she needs to have a longer barrel (4.2 inches or higher - thanks Canada!). If my hypothetical friend purchased a barrel assembly -like this (image 2) ...

And have a gunsmith put it on. Am I reading these specs correctly? (Image 3):

Old October 9, 2017, 03:07 PM   #2
Doyle

Short answer is Yes, a good gunsmith can screw in a longer barrel. Longer answer is that the cost to do so would likely be far more than just selling that 4" gun and purchasing a gun that already has a longer barrel.
Old October 9, 2017, 03:18 PM   #3
Renford

Thank you for this. Helpful!
Old October 23, 2017, 09:22 PM   #4
jmstr

Just a thought: the Ruger GP100 4" is ACTUALLY a 4.2", so that it makes the length requirement for Canada.

At least, that is true for my GP100 from 4 years ago.

Or, you can buy a 5" or longer barreled .357 and sell the S&W 586.

Take a look at 10-ring precision for an idea of barrel install costs. Keep in mind that his costs are for conversion to make the barrel fit- not straight install and timing.https://www.tenring.com/revolver-accuracy-pkg/

I'd guess around $200 for a straight install cost, and then the cost of the barrel, and then overnight shipping both directions, and then re-bluing as needed. I'd expect to spend $450-500 for the work to be done and shipping. And I'd be happy if it were under $400.
[edit- clark custom guns proves me right: https://clarkcustomguns.com/gunsmith...ices/revolver/

My GP100 4.2" barrel revolver was bought used for $500, and it had very little wear.

And they still do 'warranty' work on used guns, even if you aren't the original owner. I bought a 1971 SBH. I found it spit lead. I sent it back. they gave me a brand new SBH of my choosing as they couldn't repair the gun. I was NOT the original owner. They've also done free warranty work on my Blackhawk and Super Redhawk: both of which I bought used.

Good luck- whatever your hypothetical friend decides to do.

Last edited by jmstr; October 23, 2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old October 24, 2017, 12:47 PM   #5
Bob Wright

Yes it can be done. A 'smith will likely charge about $150 to swap out barrels, in addition to the cost of the new barrel.

If this swap is done, I'd suggest having the gun drilled and pinned. My experience with replacement barrels is that they will shoot loose if not pinned. Not a big job for your 'smith.

This Model 29 was rebarreled by the factory, and had to be pinned.

Bob Wright

Last edited by Bob Wright; October 24, 2017 at 08:49 PM.

Tags
barrel , gunsmith