The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 7, 2018, 10:34 AM   #26
Wyosmith

"Good" is a slippery term. It means different things to different people.
However bad, real bad and extremely bad are easier to speak to. They suck, some worse than others.

Any "good" trigger is a HUGE advantage over a really bad trigger in shooting precise shots.

The difference between a good "DCM grade military match trigger" and a set trigger may be little or none, depending on who is doing the shooting. But the difference between either one of them and a 8 pound gritty trigger with a 1/16th inch of over-travel is like night and day.
Old September 7, 2018, 10:34 AM   #27
stephen426

I qualified at the Marksman level for high-power matches (brand new to the sport) with a post-ban (no flash suppressor, bayonet lug, or collapsible stock) Colt Ar-15 HBAR. I wonder how much better I could have done if I had better sights and a better trigger. Some of the other guys were shooting "tricked out" ARs with cryo treated barrels and tiny peep sights. Eyes aren't nearly as good now, so every little bit helps.

I have always been a believer that good sights and good triggers really improve accuracy. It is much easier to have good trigger control with a light, smooth, crisp trigger. Even with extensive training and practice, I think the same shooter should shoot more consistently with the better trigger.
Old September 8, 2018, 08:08 AM   #28
Mobuck

It rained all day yesterday so I swapped out a couple of "crunch and drag" fire control groups. I dug through my parts box and found an AR Stoner "enhanced trigger group".
Just my opinion:this isn't a big improvement over a "good" mil-spec FCG. It's not even close to an ALG "ACT" and still below the PSA "EPT" or ALG "QMS".
I haven't installed my new LaRue and somewhere I have a self contained unit I'm going to stuff into a new lower for use with a 20" Grendel upper.
Old September 9, 2018, 11:39 AM   #29
Wag

Really glad I saw this thread this morning. Makes me realize I don't know crap about triggers or trigger control. Well, maybe I do, because I tend to shoot okay from the bench. But I've only really ever used factory stuff.

My M&P 15, for example, it strictly stock trigger and I shoot fine with it. But now I'm thinking I may want to test a better trigger.

All the input here is greatly appreciated.

--Wag--
Old September 9, 2018, 04:58 PM   #30
mete

It's interesting to see the history of triggers . What had been a 'fair' trigger in the past might now be an very good one today !
A 30 second squeeze seems bizarre to me as I trained myself in combat pistol matches to shoot with a ' fast squeeze " Yes there are both fast and slow squeezes and they can be learned . I would want to learn and us the fast and slow squeezes in hunting or combat .I would never today permit anyone to do a trigger job on my guns .
Old September 10, 2018, 07:09 AM   #31
BWM

I do NOT like a 2 stage trigger or any trigger over 4lb so I have replaced all of them with Timney & Velocity single stage 3lb 31/2lb and one 4lb very crisp triggers and very clean brake I am 78 years young and it has help my shooting by going from 1in to less than 1/2in at 100 yards with good hand loads
Old September 10, 2018, 07:22 AM   #32
Mobuck

With a very light pull trigger, a shooter may turn into a trigger "snatcher" rather than a trigger "squeezer". This may work fine for hunting but won't make the grade in competition(unless you're VERY good at it) nor will it give the best groups when using a bench.
Old September 10, 2018, 07:58 AM   #33
zeke

Switching out a bad trigger can make a significant difference. Like some, prefer a clean 2 stage with about 3-4 lb clean break. Am preferring the clean break over the lightness.
Old September 10, 2018, 08:16 AM   #34
Ricklin

Like everyone else

Like most everyone else here, I shoot better groups with a good trigger.

It's interesting to note that a really good shooter (not me) will not be impacted as much by a "good trigger" as will the average Joe.

I see a lot of folks post about how they shoot their 1911 better than other pistols. Duhh... Most 1911's have comparatively good or at least decent triggers.
I think a lot of the popularity of the 1911 can be attributed to the single action trigger.

Again painting with a broad brush it takes a lot more time, experience, and practice to become a decent marksman with a handgun vs. a rifle. The 1911 pattern and it's single action trigger make it an easier pistol to shoot well.
Old September 10, 2018, 10:15 PM   #35
5whiskey

Quote:
Of course everyone is a little different but it has been an article of faith among shooters (and gunwriters) for longer than I have been alive (and probably a couple times over) that most people can shoot more accurately with crappy sights and a good trigger than they can with good sights and a crappy trigger.
I would be the exception to that rule. I like good triggers, but I can usually shoot a standard trigger nearly as well. As others have said, I must concentrate a good deal more on good trigger pull, but can shoot well with a standard trigger. Give me good sights though. Especially if we're talking iron sights.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old October 1, 2018, 10:00 AM   #36
Shootrj2003

Really,should it be a surprise that a good trigger is maybe not neccesary for shooting but is a no.1 assist to fine shooting?however, while the rifles I shot in the Marines were not ,perhaps match grade,I never had a gritty hard trigger either,if we did it was quickly resolved by our armorer,I shot sharpshooter with the m14 and m16a2and expert with my .45 -with weapons I carried every day some were pretty old but well maintained,(.45's) some were made by Mattel (m16s) but well maintained also.C1/2 1st Bn 2nd Mar. 2 nd Mar Div.