The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 31, 2018, 07:57 AM   #1
wild cat mccane

PSA--"Daily Deals" are always the same--5 years running

Just an observation that I needlessly need to vocalize.

Anyone else notice deals at PSA are always the same price--in a scammy kinda way?

I purchased an upper 5 years ago. Same upper is the daily deal for the same price, which is the same price it was a week ago without the daily deal label.

One 300blk upper I was looking at yesterday is the same price now but it has a "LABOR DAY DEAL" with no added anything. Was free shipping yesterday too.

Winchester 124gr 9mm for 8.99 a box, 20 boxes free shipping as a LABOR DAY DEAL is the same price it's been for 2 months now.

They even list the same items separately, same item code, one free shipping and one without.

Just seems deceptive a bit.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; August 31, 2018 at 08:04 AM.
Old August 31, 2018, 08:08 AM   #2
kymasabe

Yes and no. I've seen some fluctuation in some pricing. Some items like their BCG's and their EPT trigger change price periodically. But I tend to agree with you, I see items come and go on the daily deal list, and when they're gone, is usually because they're sold out rather than sale has ended.
Old September 1, 2018, 02:52 PM   #3
rickyrick

Harbor Freight got into trouble over this. If a “sale” continues for an extended period of time, then it’s not a “sale price” it is a regular price.

I’ve gotten some great email deals from PSA that were significantly less.

That being said, the “deals” are meant to attract someone who hasn’t been looking every week for years, so it doesn’t ruffle my fur much.
Old September 1, 2018, 04:48 PM   #4
Monty

I'm just thankful the deals are still there. 1,000 rounds of 9mm NATO for under $180 shipped, incredible. Great AR pistol deals, wish they would bring back the uppers with the double chrome lined FN barrels. Only problem is ending up with way more AR15s then you have time or ammo to shoot.
Old September 1, 2018, 08:45 PM   #5
Fishbed77

Quote:
wish they would bring back the uppers with the double chrome lined FN barrels
Agreed.
Old September 1, 2018, 09:02 PM   #6
TruthTellers

So you're telling me the 9mm 10.5" MLOK upper I bought for $320 wasn't a sale, but was their normal price?

And had I bought the parts and built the upper I still would have spent $400 or more?

THIS IS OUTRAGE!
Old September 1, 2018, 11:35 PM   #7
marine6680

Sales are usually marketing trickery.

That... Or a way to dump old stock.

And sometimes a few big items to lure you in for more purchases.

The prices do fluctuate though. They may drop the price a bit and then keep it "on sale" until they sell out. They are a pretty high volume seller, so it doesn't take long usually.

Sales are a science now... Psychology designed to manipulate your buying decisions.

I haven't seen them using FN made barrels in a long while, standard chrome lined or the CHF "special steel" double chrome lined ones...

They are doing well with their basic freedom line with nitride barrels and their slightly cheaper non lined barrels.

It's a bit sad... Those FN barrels are fantastic. Mine shoots very well.
Old September 2, 2018, 12:10 AM   #8
SDF880

Never had any issue with anything from PSA! Maybe I'm just lucky who knows but I'm happy with everything PSA last 8 years or so I have been dealing with them!
Old September 2, 2018, 06:04 AM   #9
Eazyeach

I recently got a 14.5” PSA upper that has the FN barrel. They still use them. But for some reason they don’t mention it until you read the description. If it was me I’d make sure everyone knew it had the FN barrel. It’s a really good upper and only cost around $400. $500 after getting a bcg.
Old September 2, 2018, 09:43 AM   #10
Sevens

Put me firmly on the PSA side if we are choosing sides. PSA versus whiners, Palmetto State Armory has earned my respect over and over again.

They ship quality stuff, never once have they screwed up my order, they ship quickly and they constantly throw so many great deals at me that I often AVOID looking at the e-mails because they make me wanna spend money. Here's the other great thing about how they roll-- they DON'T sell you stuff they don't have. It goes temporarily out of stock, and if you watch, it comes right back in stock and then you can order one.

Most recently? Brand new Kel-Tec PMR-30. I've managed to avoid buying this pistol for years but at $349 shipped, I could no longer say no.

Respect for PSA, and considering all the great reasons to buy from them, the whining about silly stuff seems pretty lame.
Old September 2, 2018, 09:58 AM   #11
Nathan

I really like PSA. Their deals real. I have bought several handguns that were once in a lifetime priced. PSA does a good job of clearancing certain great deals that they get.

As their AR parts have changed brands and specs, they have been able to match bargain basement AR pricing. These are good deals.

I do wish that PSA would get their premium series back in the line up. These were top quality parts at good pricing.

On the other hand, PSA’s sale prices seem to represent a semicontinuous sale. Their web site seems to contain mostly items they are closing out excess inventory on. I wonder if they buy at a certain rate, what sell ps slow gets added to the web site, what exceeds a certain warehouse level, moves to daily deal......so then it makes sense that daily deals last a while because they start out as excess inventory.

Still, they have handguns all the time....different ones....at once in a lifetime pricing.
Old September 2, 2018, 01:11 PM   #12
wild cat mccane

Most of their "on sale" uppers are struck through with $500 "normal" price tags.

Ever clicked on a $500 non FN upper at PSA?

I never have. I have a few of their rifles.

Don't confuse this with hating PSA. I'm just saying their being outwardly deceptive in their pricing.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; September 2, 2018 at 01:27 PM.
Old September 2, 2018, 02:53 PM   #13
marine6680

Like said above... It's all marketing.

It's common everywhere. PSA doesn't hide it well.

But they do have a "normal" price. After a sale ends, if the product is sold out, the price is not available to see... But you can get around that with their "compare" feature. It gives the price.

So the system has a standard price in place, but usually they just mark anything they have in stock as on sale as soon as they get the product in stock and ready for sale.

Having the word "sale"on an item is a tactic that tricks the brain, and prompts a purchase.
Old September 4, 2018, 02:34 PM   #14
gshayd

If you don't like PSA you can always go buy stuff at higher prices.
Old September 6, 2018, 07:25 AM   #15
wild cat mccane

Totally irrelevant if people think I hate PSA. I don't.

But I would challenge anyone to post a listed upper or lower "deal" that I can't post a google Wayback snippet from 2 months or less of the same item for the same price without the "deal" logo.

I have never, ever clicked on a 499 upper at PSA. Ever. It is the current strike through on a lot of their "deal" listings.
Old September 6, 2018, 07:30 AM   #16
wild cat mccane

After digging, what PSA is doing could be unlawful. Manipulating MSRP to promote a sale price is illegal in the US.
Old September 6, 2018, 07:45 AM   #17
TXAZ

Maybe they use Harbor Freight’s marketing department?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 6, 2018, 07:45 AM   #18
Eazyeach

Delete post
Old September 6, 2018, 12:51 PM   #19
kymasabe

Eh, who cares. They have good products at good prices and I buy from them often. Customer service has never let me down. I could care less what's on sale or not or how often. I see it, I like it, I buy it. And if it's not "on sale", usually will be if I wait a few weeks.
Old September 6, 2018, 12:52 PM   #20
Metal god

Yes it does appear many of there daily deals never change price . I’ve noticed more when there’s a Black Friday sale or the like . The same deals you saw a week or two before are on the Black Friday sale at the same price . I have noticed they often add free shipping when they do this though . Not sure that legally counts as a dicount though as it pertains to the pricing but you do save at least $8.50 or more regardless .

I will say this though . I have never seen any of there uppers priced at there MSRP price . Really not even close . In that regard it appears they are always on sale even if not marked as such . The next thing to ask , is a deal the same as a sale in the legal sence ? If I recall they more often claim deals rather then sales .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old September 6, 2018, 03:35 PM   #21
Fishbed77

Quote:
Don't confuse this with hating PSA. I'm just saying their being outwardly deceptive in their pricing.
Then don't ever walk into a Kohls or any outlet store or your mind will be blown.

Almost everything there will be marked with a price that the item never sold at to let you know how great of a "deal" you are getting.

I don't see anything any more deceptive about what PSA is doing.
Old September 6, 2018, 04:09 PM   #22
rickyrick

A price that remains the same for an extended period of time, is not a “Sale” that’s the regular price.
I like PSA products and pricing. Their business practices are shoddy at best. Some people have had some serious issues with PSA that are unrelated to their products or price, including me. I won’t go into specifics since it seems that they have corrected one of the serious issues.
Past is the past, but I’ll always buy stuff from PSA with wariness.
I still use their products, so don’t get me wrong. Behind the scenes, there has been problems.
Old September 8, 2018, 08:09 AM   #23
Mobuck

I dunno, seems like 1/2 the time I order something and then 3 days later it's cheaper.
Old September 8, 2018, 10:54 AM   #24
Metal god

Quote:
I dunno, seems like 1/2 the time I order something and then 3 days later it's cheaper.
I dunno about PSA but that's surely the case about everything else I seem to buy in life . Just bought a fantastic BBQ . The brand is never on sale and yet one week after I bought it I see the same one on sale for $200 less somewhere else

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old September 8, 2018, 07:45 PM   #25
Arub

Anyone want to pay more? I'm satisfied with their pricing.