The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 6, 2018, 01:10 PM   #1
Winny

Paddle Or Belt Slide Holster?

I conceal carry daily in business casual attire, generally a tucked in polo/ button down/ golf shirt comfortably. I use a variety of tuckable IWB holsters that change depending on the firearm/ outfit/ day and have little to no problem concealing.

That said, I work in a job that occasionally requires I wear a suit and tie, and I’ve found my dress slacks to be a little less forgiving with a firearm.... (I’ve gained some weight, so what?)

That said, I would like to pick up a nice OWB holster to support a full-sized pistol (Ruger SR9/ Full Size 1911) and I’m not sure whether to go paddle or slide.

I don’t generally remove my pistol from my person throughout the day, so I’m leaning towards a belt slide leather OWB, thoughts?

Thanks!
Old July 6, 2018, 01:23 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

A lot depends on the firearm used. A 1911A1 can disappear with a minimum leather holster. The belt is more important for support a full-sized pistol than the actual holster.
This'd be the holster. Been making 'em for myself for eons. This one needs forming though. And you can make it for a great deal less than $35. If you have the tools and leather.
https://www.tandyleather.com/en/prod...ster-kit-black
Old July 6, 2018, 02:25 PM   #3
Nathan

I would strongly suggest against the slide-type holsters. There is good potential to pop your gun out... not good.
Old July 6, 2018, 02:45 PM   #4
MTT TL

If you use a retention holster it should not matter if it on a belt or a paddle design so far as it coming unstowed.

That said given all the media events with holsters lately always use a retention holster. I prefer paddle holsters if I am going to remove the gun through out the day and place it somewhere like a lockbox. I can remove the holster and gun together safely. If the gun is not coming off than I prefer a belt holster. Make sure you get one that slide tightens to belt diameter on to the belt and does not move around if you go that route.
Old July 7, 2018, 06:18 PM   #5
cw308

As most of us , we have quite a few holsters , tydex and leather . I something use the paddle , kydex , AIWB , shoulder and OWB holsters. I agree too , you need a good EDC gun belt . Just as important as a good holster . You'll wind up getting both holsters . I have 5 holsters for the pistol I carry .
Old July 8, 2018, 10:23 AM   #6
Winny

I too have multiple holsters for my EDC pistol, all of which are IWB.

When I wear my larger guns with a suit or sports coat, I carry at 4:30 with a hybrid type IWB holster, but need to move to OWB. I was flirting with the idea of a shoulder rig as well, but I often wear my blazers unbuttoned and am concerned with the wind exposing the piece.

I agree that a good gun belt makes A world of difference. Holsters I once hated while wearing cheap belts fit like a glove and do wonders with the proper support. It took me a good year of daily carry to figure that out, unfortunately.
Old July 9, 2018, 12:44 AM   #7
Model12Win

Belt slide.

Take a couple seconds longer to put on but more secure for peace of mind.
Old July 10, 2018, 08:23 AM   #8
rpseraph

Paddle for convenience to slip on and off... belt loops for every other factor. I find belt loops hold closer to the body, don't move around as much, and are more comfortable when sitting.

My 2 cents.
Old July 10, 2018, 06:25 PM   #9
cw308

Winny
If your looking for a nice OWB holster , I ordered a custom OWB holster from R Grizzle , I carry a Colt 1911 3" in 45acp , the holster fits the pistol like a glove . It's a beautiful holster . Shoulder rigs are fine when dressed with a jacket or back problems , kydex appendix carry when driving and deep concealment and waist band carry for walking or standing alot .What ever holster you go with ,get a quality holster made for your gun .
P.S. Paddle holsters are fine if your need to take it on and off during the day , they do print more though .

Chris

Last edited by cw308; July 10, 2018 at 06:30 PM.

Tags
business , ccw , cwp , holster search , owb