The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 7, 2014, 03:46 PM   #1
Model12Win

DAO revolver holster?

Well hello gang!

I got me a new Smith & Wesson Model 64 .38 special revolver that was a trade in from the Brinks security company. Here it is:

Note: I added the Pachmayer grips and painted the front sight orange. It's a lovely gun, shoots wonderful, and has a DAO hammer (no spur). I bought a Safariland holster off ebay that had a thumb snap, my preferred retention system. However, the thump snap was too large and obviously made to fit around a hammer spur... and with the exposed trigger guard (not a problem otherwise) the hammer could actually move all the way back and snap forward when the trigger is pressed.

Needless to day, I need to find another holster. I am looking for one that is made specifically for a DAO revolver such as this. I understand DAO revolver where popular with some police departments, but am wondering what type holsters they used to prevent discharges of the gun while in the holster. I am looking for a law enforcement style OWB duty holster for this particular gun, in keeping with the theme. I will be wearing the gun around the house and on the property, and at the outdoor range I go to.

So what do you guys suggest for an OWB duty type holster that is appropriate in regards to safety with a DAO revolver? Thanks so much!
Old December 7, 2014, 04:49 PM   #2
Chaz88

Might not be what you are after but I would take the strap off shorten it and sew it back on. It is not hard to do. Need heavy cotton thread, wax, and two leather needles. All can be had at almost any leather shop or hobby shop for very little money. Then look up how to sew with two leather needles on the net. Stuff might also come in handy later.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old December 7, 2014, 06:58 PM   #3
AK103K

I have a couple of these for both my K/L and N fame Smiths. I use one for my DAO 64 as well......

Sarfariland 567

http://www.copquest.com/safariland-5...er_23-2565.htm