The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 13, 2011, 07:02 PM   #1
wuluf

Made me a dipper

I love the interwebz! I wanted a dipper for 3.5 gn of HP38 for my 158gn LSWC .38 Spl loads. I found an idea on line: took a .38 case with a spent primer and filled it with candle wax, leaving the right volume for the 3.5 grains of powder. Checked it against my scale and it's perfect! That'll save me some time...
Old March 13, 2011, 09:43 PM   #2
jmortimer

Love dippers especially home made. Dippers are beautiful things especialy when custom designed for a specific load. Thanks for the thread.
Old March 14, 2011, 09:44 PM   #3
jhansman

Came across this article the other day (http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech...h_notes.htm/41) and am putting some together. It's been a fun challenge and I figure in a couple of weeks I should have a set to accommodate all my standard handgun loads.
Old March 15, 2011, 02:58 PM   #4
chris in va

Yup. I actually use 45ACP or 9mm cases as they are easier to fill, then I cut them down with a hacksaw. Bend some wire, wrap it up with duct tape. To prevent a slightly higher charge than intended, I measure so the powder will mound a bit when I scoop, instead of having to level it off with something.

I'd like to market an adjustable powder dipper. They used to make them a long time ago but can't seem to find a modern version.
Old March 15, 2011, 03:28 PM   #5
mikld

Some fellers drill and tap the flash hole for a 10-32 screw. Screwing the screw in deeper makes the capacity smaller, lightening the dipper's load, and visa-versa. Adjustable dipper...
Old March 15, 2011, 03:53 PM   #6
Rifleman1776

Check muzzle loading suppliers for adjustable dippers. You will find lots of them. Do keep in mind though, black powder and modern powder weights and volumes are not interchangable. Do not use the scale on the bp measure for modern, you will have to weigh and set your own.
Old March 15, 2011, 04:27 PM   #7
dahermit

Quote:
I found an idea on line: took a .38 case with a spent primer and filled it with candle wax, leaving the right volume for the 3.5 grains of powder.
Or, pour your favorite amount of powder into a 38 Spl. case and then cut the case off at the level of the powder, solder on a wire handle. They have been doing that for years...cutting the case ends the worry about the wax comming out.
Old March 15, 2011, 04:31 PM   #8
snuffy

Doesn't anybody use a powder measure???¿¿¿

If I had to dip powder, I'd quit loading!

Quote:
Made me a dipper
You made a dipper out of yourself?

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?