The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old November 7, 2015, 11:12 AM   #151
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
The question is will they get rid of the ridiculous zoning requirements or just make minor tweaks and force this all over again?
Given the city's post-McDonald policy of cooperating as little as humanly possible, I'd wager the latter.
Old November 7, 2015, 11:01 PM   #152
armoredman

When do the big lawsuits come for all the foot dragging, when do these (censored) have to face real consequences? If the answer is never, then this will continue until my grandson is dust.
Old January 18, 2017, 11:51 PM   #153
Armed_Chicagoan

Ezell II was just decided today in our favor! Chicago's zoning laws that effectively banned firing ranges in the city have been ruled unconstitutional by a 7th Circuit appeals court: http://media.ca7.uscourts.gov/cgi-bi...:N:1897637:S:0

The requirement that ranges be in a manufacturing district was thrown out, the laws requiring they be certain distances from residential areas, schools, daycares, etc was thrown out, and the law placing age restrictions on those using the ranges was thrown out.
Old January 19, 2017, 01:36 AM   #154
DT Guy

Rahm must be shaking his tiny little fist about that.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old January 19, 2017, 11:49 AM   #155
Bartholomew Roberts

Here's a good discussion of Ezell II from Eugene Volokh:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.978d2bab8179
Old January 20, 2017, 06:56 AM   #156
iraiam

Quote:
When do the big lawsuits come for all the foot dragging, when do these (censored) have to face real consequences? If the answer is never, then this will continue until my grandson is dust.
Probably never, as a citizen, if I violate someones constitutional rights, I have likely committed a crime. But the people in government regularly use their powers to stomp on constitutional rights with impunity. The law may struck from the books, but those who willfully violate the rights of others through the application of government powers will pay no price.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old January 20, 2017, 07:41 AM   #157
Gunnut17

It's things like this and rampant gun violence regardless of the laws that prevent me on many levels, emotional and moral especially, from ever visiting Illinois or Chicago on principle and for my sake as someone rather young to die to gang-related violence now, or ever, really. But mostly now, if I had any prospects of going near the Midwest for work opportunities or school (Job Corps in my State, for my diploma, if Monday goes well for me.) now or prior to reading about this and most anti-RKBA legislative rules in that particular State.
Old January 20, 2017, 11:25 AM   #158
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
But the people in government regularly use their powers to stomp on constitutional rights with impunity. The law may struck from the books, but those who willfully violate the rights of others through the application of government powers will pay no price.
until the REVOLUTION!!!!!!!

Those in power, stomping on the natural rights of others has been going on as long as there have been those in power. I don't see that changing.

Do, however make sure you understand, and make the distinction between those who do it willfully and gleefully, and those who are just doing their job, the best way they know how, and the way they were taught.

I agree, it is a pleasing thought to think that these people should be held personally responsible for their official acts, but this is America, and as a principle, we don't do that, unless they actually break existing law. (and, sadly, not often enough, even then...)

It's another moral point to be proud of, something Americans do that happens too seldom in the rest of the world. The standard was set by our Founders, who, after the Revolution, when they had the power, did NOT round up all the Crown agents and hang them. Who did NOT behead the nobility in job lots.

Yes, some were tarred and feathered, beaten, run out of town on a rail. True people suffered, and I'm certain there were some fatalities, but by and large these were isolated individual instances. Our former rulers and their servants were not executed, imprisoned for life, sent to a gulag, or anything of the sort, generally. We simply told them to find a new life, preferably somewhere else...

What other nation has fought a war for freedom, and then treated its former masters with the degree of fairness and forgiveness that we did????

Yes, while I personally would be happy to see Congressperson Feinschumenbaumbergstein spend the rest of their natural life UNDER the jail, (or worse) that's because I'm small, petty, vicious, venal and vindictive.

Satisfying as that might be, they don't actually deserve it, and we don't do it, which shows both ourselves and the world that we actually ARE better people than many make us out to be.
Old January 21, 2017, 11:38 AM   #159
BillCA

Well said, 44 AMP, but let's draw some distinctions here too.

When state or local legislators legitimately debate an issue, ask relevant questions, let both (or all) sides provide input and transparently make a decision that may be unconstitutional, there's room to doubt evil intent --as opposed to evil or prejudiced intent.

But when these same officials emerge from their legislative committees and say things like "We're satisfied that we've made it as difficult as possible to [exercise a civil right] in light of the court's decision" they have removed any doubt of their contempt for the civil right(s) in question. They should therefore be held to account under Title 18, Part I, §241 and §242 (conspiracy, denial of civil rights).

While most city, county and state officials operate under some form of limited immunity for official acts, when it's evident they went to great lengths to limit as many people as possible from exercising their rights they allow that veil of immunity to be pierced. And, IMO, the consequences of such actions should land on them like an anvil.
Old January 21, 2017, 03:52 PM   #160
ShootistPRS

The right to keep and bear arms is not a civil right.
Civil rights are those granted by the government where my God given, natural, and birth rights are beyond any government or societal management.
Old January 21, 2017, 07:55 PM   #161
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Actually, it is a civil right. Yes, it is a natural right, a God given right, if you prefer, but it is also a civil right. It is a right of the civil population, it is not a martial right, exclusive to the military.

SO, in that context, it is a civil right.
Old January 22, 2017, 08:28 AM   #162
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootistPRS
Civil rights are those granted by the government where my God given, natural, and birth rights are beyond any government or societal management.
I disagree. The source of a right does not (wholly) determine the nature of the right. Rights may be civil, criminal, statutory, or contractual in nature.
Old January 22, 2017, 10:52 AM   #163
armoredman

Did not Heller state that the 2A is a "core, fundamental Constitutional right"? I'm nowhere hear a lawyer in any way shape or form, but does that nto qualify it as a civil right, like free speech and the tattered 4A?
Old January 24, 2017, 11:29 AM   #164
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

I'm closing this thread, as it has diverged from discussing the case at hand to a discussion of what constitutes a civil right.

Discussion of the actual case (Ezell v. Chicago) may be made here: Chicago loses Ezell ---- again (23 Jan`17)

Discussion as to what constitutes a civil right will require another thread.
Closed Thread