The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 19, 2002, 08:57 PM   #1
y2jrock60

Buying MG'S

I always wanted to buy and collect guns. Iam not old enought yet but I've been looking around on the internet about all the rules that apply. I really thing it would be cool to own an MG. I've been seeing all over the net that you cannot purchase a MG made after May 1986. I understand it as some kind of law made. But one site I went to said that anyone without an FFL can not purchase mg's mad after May 1986. Would it be posible if I get and FFL I would be able to buy an mg made after May 1986. I just wanted to know if that is a true way or if their is any way to purchase a post May 1986 fire. need help thx
Old October 19, 2002, 09:12 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Not quite correct. The law prohibits manufacture or import of machineguns after 1986 except for law-enforcement and military. It does not ban ownership or sale of MGs registered before that date.

You can still buy machineguns made before that date as long as you are over 21, your local and state laws permit, and you can get your chief law enforcement officer to sign off on the application.

As you might gather, the end of a new supply has increased the cost of the existing guns, so some are very expensive, while some are still in the $2000/3000 range.

You don't need a license; the application form (Form 4) is submitted with a photo and $200 for the tax for each transfer.

If you are in a state where MGs are legal to own, ask at gun shops about dealers (usually called "Class 3 dealers") who deal in NFA items. There are usually a few around, although most do not advertise as MG dealers.

Dealing over the internet with a seller in another state will involve NFA dealers in each state and two tax payments. Within your state, unless state law requires going through a dealer, you can transfer direct and pay only one tax.

Jim
Old October 19, 2002, 10:08 PM   #3
CleverNickname

Quote:
Would it be posible if I get and FFL I would be able to buy an mg made after May 1986. I just wanted to know if that is a true way or if their is any way to purchase a post May 1986 fire.
For all practical purposes, no. The exception is if an FFL has paid an additional tax to become a Class 3 dealer or manufacturer. And even Class 3 dealers have to get permission from their local police dept to get post-86 machine guns. The process to become an Class 3 dealer is quite long and involved, and is designed to eliminate people who just want to get a license to enhance their personal collection.
Old October 21, 2002, 01:36 PM   #4
MrPink

Machine guns had to be registered as a transferable NFA item, not just made, before May 19, 1986 to be transferable. A not so small difference.

Also, not all interstate transfers require two tax stamps - guns sitting with an out of state dealer can be form 3'd to an in state dealer, tax-exempt. Then form 4 & 200 to you.

"Yeah, that's easy for you to say, you're Mr. White, you have a cool sounding name. Alright look, if it's no big deal to be Mr. Pink, you wanna trade?"
Old November 12, 2002, 06:04 PM   #5
Lawnmower

Not worth the hassle

Would it be posible if I get and FFL I would be able to buy an mg made after May 1986. I just wanted to know if that is a true way or if their is any way to purchase a post May 1986 fire. need help thx

Not worth the hassle.

1. Have a location that prevents other people from accessing the firearms.
2. Apply for the FFL license.
3. Apply for a SOT permit.....
6. Interview.
7. Get SOT permit.
8. Find a police department that is currently looking for some new toys.
9. Get a request for a post-86 NFA firearm (specific) to be used as a demo on an official police letterhead.

If you let your SOT lapses, you have to relinquish possession of the post-86 NFA firearm.

Kenneth Lew