The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 13, 2013, 04:10 PM   #1

Food plot maintenance.

Just thought I'd share a few preseason pics. I was helping my friend and neighbor add on to his food plot. We pulled trees and plowed months ago. Then, a few weeks ago we added the fertilizer and lyme. Sunday we did the planting. He had a little better than a third of an acre already established and we added just over another tenth to it. It is all clover and just under a half acre total when walk with a GPS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img988.jpg (264.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg img989.jpg (212.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg img991.jpg (212.5 KB, 30 views)

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old August 13, 2013, 04:12 PM   #2

more pics

Here's a few more. Notice the sweet blind chair
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img992.jpg (264.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg img993.jpg (92.1 KB, 37 views)

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old August 13, 2013, 06:59 PM   #3
reynolds357

Reminds me of my deer stand. Chair is identical to the chair in two of my stands.
What kind of clover did you plant?
Old August 14, 2013, 10:35 AM   #4

I didn't pay much attention as to the exact type of clover but it was the stuff Lee and Tiffany pimp.

Old August 14, 2013, 07:30 PM   #5
Mobuck

I disked 5 acres (twice) today to begin food plot prep. John Deere 160 HP on a 13' offset disk that cuts 8" deep makes significant progress. Tomorrow, I'll pull the sprayer out of the Polaris 6x6 and mount the electric seeder and maybe have time to run to town for some seed. A bushel of wheat per acre is about right if the ground is worked well. I might even splurge on a little turnip seed if it's not too expensive-seed that by hand on a windy day(preferably right before a hard rain). Some of the food plots have quite a bit of clover already growing so those will get a 1/2 bushel of wheat seed and then a light disking w/o tearing the clover up.
Old August 19, 2013, 10:44 PM   #6
shortwave

Looks like you guys got it going on .284.

Hey Mobuck , you really outta put some turnip seed in. Worked wanders in my ladino clover field. Gonna mix some chicory in with the clover in the lower 2.5 acres. Turkeys should love it.
Old August 20, 2013, 02:09 PM   #7
Mobuck

My older Son works with a seed producer who sells him turnip seed at cost. He's going to bring some home on his next field circuit. I mixed some year old milo seed in with the wheat and it's all disked in-just waiting for a rain. I'm about 2-3 weeks ahead of my usual seeding time so this should get a better chance for growth before frost.