The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 9, 2020, 10:12 AM   #1
Andy1

6mm BR Norma/Dasher or 6mm Creedmoor

I have a Remington 783 in .22-250 that doesn't get used much anymore. I basically got it for free from a pile of unused Cabela's gift cards.
Since it already has the .473" bolt head I'm thinking about rebarrelling it to either 6mm BR Norma or 6mm Dasher. I don't handload, but Copper Creek Ammunition offers both cartridges.
I've also been told that for the cost of a rebarrel on a $300 Rem 783 I should just trade it to a Ruger American 6mm Creedmoor.
This set up would be used for hunting PA deer/coyote and the occasional hog. Shooting distance is 95% inside of 100 yards and 99% inside 150.

I'm already working on a Howa miniaction 6.5 Grendel project as well.
Old July 9, 2020, 12:45 PM   #2
hounddawg

I have both as target rifles and both are tackdrivers out to 1000 yards. I use handloads so no idea what off the shelf ammo runs at. For my hanloads a 107 SMK in my 6CM ges about 2800 FPS, 105 Bergers in my 6BR 2750. 80 Grain Bergers in the 6BR clock about 3100 FPS. These are 29 inch barrels so a hunting rifle would be a bit slower. Barrel life in the 6CM is around 1500 as a target rifle, the 6BR is around 3000. Both would go many more rounds and still hold minute of coyote.

If you want a repeater the only company that makes a reliable magazine for the 6 BR family is MDT so the stock would need to be AICS magazine compatible

Either one would be a good choice in my opinion with the 6BR having better barrel life and the 6CM a better choice for the magazine feed using a non AICS rifle.
Old July 9, 2020, 01:13 PM   #3
taylorce1

I'm currently building a 6mm CM and that's where I would go as well since you don't reload. I don't know if I'd buy the Ruger American Predator, but I'd probably sell your rifle before I'd rebarrel it. There are quite a few factory options for a rifle in 6mm CM I'd just weigh the options you want and get the rifle that gets you there the easiest.

I imagine Copper Creek will make you fantastic ammunition, but why not go with something more available to give you more options. Most major manufacturers make 6mm CM as well as Copper Creek so you just have more sources of ammunition. The Dasher is the current darling of the PRS circuit, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone doesn't start loading it more commercially.
Old July 11, 2020, 06:38 PM   #4
Bfglowkey

6mm CM is a great round just burns barrels like its going out of style. My 6.5 CM went 2800 and 3122 rounds for each barrel...my 6 only lasted 1350 before my groups began opening up and then it went down hill quick. I will say it was a factory barrel ( Ruger American Predator) but it shot really well until then and was super easy to find a load for it. It still is good enough to take deer under 150yds so until I decide what to do with it....hunting.
The dasher and BR both share a very respectable barrel life if I recall. Pick your poison and enjoy. I am ordering a 6 ARC barrel for my Howa mini action and gonna play with that soon. It looks solid but time will tell.
Old July 12, 2020, 01:08 PM   #5
Nathan

I love that you want one of the hot new 6mm’s, but I think you might be better off with a 350 Legend.