The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 5, 2019, 04:25 PM   #1
Trailhawk

Hi-Standard Sentinel Revolver

SQUIRES-BINGHAM mfg.co.inc left side of barrel.
HI-STANDARD "sentinel"22cal on the right side of barrel.

Serial number P - 38XX Anyone ever seen one of these? Manufacture date?
Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thank You
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 356.jpg (68.7 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg 357.jpg (96.5 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg 358.jpg (84.7 KB, 93 views)
Old June 5, 2019, 04:28 PM   #2
Trailhawk

Hi- standard photos

Here are 2 more photos of this little 9shot 3" revolver.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 359.jpg (93.7 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg 361.jpg (67.1 KB, 73 views)
Old June 5, 2019, 05:53 PM   #3
Trailhawk

Hi-Standard Sentinel Revolver

SQUIRES-BINGHAM mfg.co.inc left side of barrel.
HI-STANDARD "sentinel"22cal on the right side of barrel.

Serial number P - 38XX Anyone ever seen one of these? Manufacture date?
Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thank You
Old June 5, 2019, 06:52 PM   #4
Carmady

Here's a good article on the Sentinel.

https://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/Sentinel/sentinel.html

A couple of indicators for dating would be the R-xxx series number, and the rear of the cylinder. The ratchet/extractors changed over time.

I'd guess SQUIRES-BINGHAM was a hardware store or department store chain, don't know. It might be kind of rare, but collector interest is limited. They are decent guns, fine shooters, and light.
Old June 5, 2019, 07:56 PM   #5
Soclosenotnear

Great guns, I owned a r-103 with a 2" barrel and thoroughly enjoyed shooting it with zero problems. Everything above is accurate.
Old June 5, 2019, 08:58 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Duplicate threads merged.
Old June 6, 2019, 03:06 AM   #7
bamaranger

Squires-Bingham

Did y'all note the address of S-B was Manila, Philippines?

Squires-Bingham is one the names of the organization we know today as Armscor. Armscor makes a bunch of guns and ammo, perhaps the most noteable is the RIA 1911 pistol.

I cannot find a connection of Armscor to High Standard. As many Sentinel revolvers were made for other labels, perhaps High Standard made some for Armscor as well, and they were sold marked accordingly in Armscor's assorted foreign markets? And that is purely speculation BTW.
Old June 6, 2019, 05:50 AM   #8
CajunBass

The High-Standard Sentinel is one of my favorite revolvers. I've owned a couple, three of them over the years. Back when I bummed around in the woods I thought they were perfect for that. Later, as I got older and no longer roamed the woods, I sold them off to others who would use them for the same thing.

I also had a Squires-Bingham 22 rifle. It was made in the Philippines. I guess I bought it in the late 70's, early 80's from a K-mart store. IIRC, I paid $49.95 for it. Good shooting gun, and sized like a real rifle.

I don't know of any connection of High Standard to Squires-Bingham, but I wouldn't be surprised if High Standard didn't have guns made under their name by SB. High Standard also had guns made under their name by Dan Wesson, which were nothing more than a rebadged Dan Wesson.

I also know for a number of years High Standard made the Sentinel for Sears-Roebuck under the J.C. Higgins name and Western Auto under the Revelation name. Probably other large retailers also like J.C. Penny's. Subcontracting the manufacture wouldn't surprise me a bit.
John 3:16 (NKJV)

Last edited by CajunBass; June 6, 2019 at 05:57 AM.
Old June 6, 2019, 02:31 PM   #9
Bill DeShivs

Hi Standard never had Squires Bingham make Sentinel revolvers for them. It was the other way around.
Old June 7, 2019, 08:50 PM   #10
Bob Willman

I still have a Sentinel Imperial Model R-104 that I purchased in Rochester, Minnesota in 1962 with the original box and parts price list. It still works fine.
Old June 8, 2019, 06:59 AM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

I keep a 6" Sentinel in my office desk drawer.

It's marked High Standard, Hamden, Ct.

Appears to be R-101 model or series, 930XXX serial.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 15, 2019, 07:32 PM   #12
jmstr

My grandma taught me to shoot revolvers with her high standard Sentinel Deluxe R-106.

Now it is mine.

A lot of fun and good memories.

If you really want details, try asking at John Stimson's High Standards page:http://disc.yourwebapps.com/Indices/226190.html

Just be sure to follow ALL of the directions on the first page regarding what to include. He is very short with people who don't do so.

And, this resource will be taken down in October. He also has manuals of the different models available through: http://www.histandard.info/

Rimfirecentraldotcom has a dedicated High Standard subsection as well.

I have become a bit of a collector in the past 6 years- with samples of their .22 rifles, pistols, revolvers and their 12g shotguns.

Cool history for the company. Thanks for starting me on this path, gran!
Old June 15, 2019, 09:30 PM   #13
Onward Allusion

It's a shooter. Frame is alloy. Extractor rod doesn't have a spring. You'll see pics of 'em with scratches on the left side of the frame from folks forgetting to re-seat extractor into the cylinder. Here's mine...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HS R-101.jpg (50.7 KB, 55 views)
Old June 15, 2019, 11:45 PM   #14
jmstr

Onward,

they are definitely shooters. And, be careful with old ammo. split .22 cases can cause powder to shoot back around FP through hole in frame and onto face.

Thankfully I never shoot without glasses.

However, it is the EARLY Sentinel revolvers that didn't have the ejector spring.

I believe by the R-102 configuration, but definitely by the R-103 configuration, they had that spring- and thus not as likely to have scratches you referred to.

This is evident when comparing parts lists for them.

The early JC Higgins and Revelation 88 pistols were like the R-101: No spring, and can gauge the frame.

Also, sometime after the R-101 [by 103?] they got rid of the cool unique ratcheting cluster of dimples on the cylinder and went to the more traditional revolver ratchet design.

The R-106 was the first, I believe, to use a cross grip screw to hold the grips on. Prior iterations used the grips shown in this picture- sliding up over the bottom.

These are probably never going to have the capability of a good 'ol fashioned S&W K22 Target Masterpiece from 1954, or a Colt Officers Model Target/Special/Match from before 1968 [depending on variation- back to 1910s], but they are fun to use, and accurate enough for smiles and 'minute of tin can' shooting.

Precision may not be as good as others- but price is lower also.

Fun revolvers, from an innovative company.

BTW, the designer who worked on the Sentinel design left High Standard and went to Ruger, where he worked on the Speed/Security Six design, that led to the GP100.
Old June 18, 2019, 11:04 PM   #15
Grizzly2

You can see alot of the Charter Arms in the Sentenal design. I believe he worked at High Std before starting up Charter Arms.
Old June 20, 2019, 07:45 PM   #16
claydoctor

My Sentinel was bought for me by my dad in the mid to late 1950's. It looks similar to the OP's photos except mine has a 4 inch barrel and the hammer on mine is not so accentuated. My serial number is 7126XX. It was my first handgun. In the last 60 plus years, it has acquired many safemates.