The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 12, 2020, 04:51 PM   #1
454kid

Second time my Taurus Raging Bull sets fire at shooting range

Good afternoon folks, it’s the second time my Taurus Raging Bull in 454 Casull started a fire at my shooting range. From what I understand, it sputters sparks or powder that’s in the process of burning into the floor, and then we see orange smoke (lots of it!!) rising from the dirt (in front of the shooting alley... 3-4 feet). Both times I had to douse it with 1-2 quarts of water before it really stopped.

I usually reload my rounds, but this being a new caliber for me, I started with factory Hornady 300 grain XTP MAG.

Is it the gun, the rounds, the muzzle brake... the shooter??!?

I’m all ears, because until I find a solution, my Raging Bull has been banned from this range... (they are not a-holes, when I find a solution, they will make me try it... but they can’t keep closing the range regularly because I start fires!!)

Thanks in advance
Old July 12, 2020, 05:13 PM   #2
74A95

It's the gun and ammo. Magnum revolvers produce large fireballs from the muzzle and the cylinder/barrel gap. see the pictures here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=magn...FZKiswXxtKKADA

It's not the muzzle brake because it vents upward, not toward the ground.

Are you sitting or standing? Standing will make you farther from the ground.
Old July 12, 2020, 05:17 PM   #3
Sharkbite

Indoor ranges are famous for unburned powder on the floor just in front of the firing line.

Those with rubber mats are especially bad. Your gun is allowing burning powder to hit the floor and....wammo fire
Old July 12, 2020, 05:20 PM   #4
1911_Hardball

The only thing I can think to suggest is that you try the fastest burn rate powder that you have data for.
Now, having said that, this shouldn't be your problem to solve, it should be the range's problem. Dirt doesn't burn; vegetation does.
The 454 isn't some exotic caliber. It's not like you showed up with a short barrled custom Eargesplitten Loudenboomer.
Ranges should be safe with any common caliber/firearm combination.
Old July 12, 2020, 09:33 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

You're spitting incompletely burned, hot powder granules onto the floor of a poorly maintained range.

The range needs better housekeeping standards.
Old July 13, 2020, 12:24 AM   #6
big al hunter

I have 2 suggestions. 1 switch to 45 Colt ammunition. But that's no fun.
Suggestion #2 is...help the range with their unburned powder problem....toss a lit cigarette on the ground before you fire your gun. That way it isn't the gun causing the fire, it's the unburned powder. Then you can shoot all you want, the fuel source would be gone.

Or you can wet the ground in front of your shooting station prior to touching the trigger. Wet powder doesn't light as easily as dry powder.
Old July 13, 2020, 07:39 AM   #7
jaguarxk120

It is what FrankenMauser has said, poor range cleaning!

All firearms will eject burning/unburned powder when fired.
Just look down the barrel of a shotgun or any other handgun, there
will be unburned powder in the bore.
Old July 13, 2020, 08:26 AM   #8
kenny53

454kid welcome to the forum. Is this the only range you can go to? I do believe a cleaner range may help.
Old July 13, 2020, 01:52 PM   #9
454kid

Thanks to all for your input.

Clearly, the range could be cleaner... I will propose to help with the clean-up a little bit before the next Casull session!

Thanks a lot, great community ... I've read several threads and like the ambiance of the forum. Cheers
Old July 13, 2020, 03:04 PM   #10
Mk VII

There was a flash fire at an indoor range in Belgium (I think) some years ago caused by this.

We also had a flashover at the old (indoor) range many years ago.
Old July 13, 2020, 03:46 PM   #11
Mike38

Quote:
Exactly! The range floor needs to be swept, or better yet vacuumed with a pneumatic cleaner such as those used in spray paint booths, on a daily basis. If it's already being done daily, then they need to do it twice daily.
Old July 13, 2020, 09:43 PM   #12
big al hunter

Quote:
. floor needs to be swept, or better yet vacuumed with a pneumatic cleaner such as those used in spray paint booths, on a daily basis. If it's already being done daily, then they need to do it twice daily.
I could be mistaken, but it sounds like the range is outdoors. He said he caught the dirt on fire. I would pay good money to have a video of some guy power washing the dirt!
Old July 16, 2020, 06:22 PM   #13
paknheat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
You're spitting incompletely burned, hot powder granules onto the floor of a poorly maintained range.

This for the WIN!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old July 16, 2020, 06:51 PM   #14
Targa

That is pretty freakin scary, if I were in there when that happened I would have lost my cool with the management. Not because of you but because of their laziness.

This is the road they are headed down....https://youtu.be/J9vBzo8B-qA
Old July 16, 2020, 09:26 PM   #15
P Flados

As previously noted, your ammo (in combination with your short barrel) is spitting powder that is still burning.

A faster burning powder will reduce or eliminate the amount of unburned powder. Powder with smaller granules is also probably helpful as the duration of burn after leaving the barrel should be less.

My indoor range had problems with steel case Russian ammo igniting fires. The residue from paper targets and cardboard backers makes for a fluffy and easy to ignite combustible material.

Gun + ammo combinations that spit too much burning powder are a fire hazard at both ranges and if shooting outdoors when conditions are dry. It would be nice if the range was kept cleaner, but I would not expect it to be "fireproof".

I would try to arrange a situation to safely get rid of the rest of the problem ammo and then never use that load again.
Old July 16, 2020, 09:32 PM   #16
HighValleyRanch

Here in dry California,, we avoid shooting black powder in the summer months because of the fire hazard.
Old July 20, 2020, 11:47 AM   #17
Mike38

Quote:
I could be mistaken, but it sounds like the range is outdoors.
Could be, but the OP used the word 'floor' before he used the word 'dirt'. So I assumed it was a dirty floor indoors. Who knows? 454kid, enlighten us please.
Old July 21, 2020, 02:22 AM   #18
Grizzly2

I used to love shooting a 14" Thompson Contender 30-30 at our outdoor range just before dusk. At the shot the scope would turn orange and then when I put it down, all the tall grass in front of me would still be swaying back and forth. Never started any fires, but it looked so cool.

I wonder how much unburned powder must have accumulated right in front of the firing line at that indoor range video.
Old July 21, 2020, 03:42 AM   #19
HiBC

I will assume its an ndoor range with a hard floor,probably concrete.
Fire is a 3 legged stool.It requires heat,oxygen,and fuel.

Not much chance of eliminating oxygen.

I'll grant your 454 loads are likely the source of ignition....the initial "heat"
I'll talk about reducing that at the end of this post.

Its not your 454 thats building up unburned powder on the floor. Thats "everyshooter"
I'm not sure,but I would guess the NRA or OSHA or the military or some police agency or someone has a recommended procedure for maintaining indoor firing lanes
I'm saying its probably not necessary to re-invent the wheel. And I'm saying there is probably an existing standard to meet.
That should keep the range fires in check. Its not just you that is the problem.If the range burns down,lack of maintnance could be an insurance claim problem.
A Dustex,the long dustmops like are used to sweep gym floors may work,but a powder filled Dustex is a hazard itself.
A vacuum might be effective,but a vacuum filter bag or cannister full of aerated powder dust flowing through,on,or about arcing motor brushes seems problematic to me.
Matbe a wet vac with a couple gallons of water in it? I don't know.

I can't tell you that would be safe.

Do some research. If you find a prescribed method,approach your range with the atitude of being part of the solution.

I would suggest that needs to be a nightly responsibility for whoever shuts down and closes up.

Now,what can you do to mitigate being the ignitor?

Are you using a strong roll crimp? Pretty critical.The cylinder throat offers no resistance like a rifle throat does. Then there is the cylinder gap,which allows pressure to escape.Then thereis the forcing cone in the barrel.

Your primer can blow the bullet that far. Slow burning magnum type powders have a lot of deterrent coating.They are harder and slower to light.

And some powders don't burn up worth a darn if you don't get them up to required pressure.

Example,you don't want to try to load reduced or moderate pressure loads with H-110 or 296.
I've seen mild 4227 loads leave unburned powder.

In closing:
Use load book recommended powders and charges...Work safely up from the min start load,but try not to stay there.Its best to be more midrange,usually.

If your cases get sooty,thats a clue . You aren't getting the pressure up to obturate the case and the burn is dirty.

Use a magnum primer when specified.

And use a strong,heavy roll crimp into a crimp groove.

With a heavily loaded 454 and 325 gr bullets,its possible recoil is pulling your bullets ,and you are losing your crimp. Then your loads would have poor ignition.

Thats all I have. Good luck,stay safe.

And actually having a fire extinguisher on hand might beat flinging water water jugs around.

Last edited by HiBC; July 21, 2020 at 08:25 PM.
Old July 21, 2020, 07:37 PM   #20
gwpercle

Time to take the big gun to an outdoor range .
More room and less likely chance of powder fire .
Most outdoor ranges have targets/ steel plates at 100 yards and that would be fun with the 454 .
Gary

Tags
fire , raging bull