The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old November 11, 2010, 02:20 PM   #1
Tuzo

For the past year I have had to input my user name and password twice in order to log in. Very occassionally a log in is successful with one try. Not a great problem, merely a pesky problem.

The Firing Line is the only site requiring log in that has this problem. This may be a problem with my browser but I doubt it. It may be a problem with my computer but I doubt it. Or it could be a TFL conspiracy.

Thankful for any advice or solution.
Old November 11, 2010, 02:22 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Are you checking the "remember me" button?

Does it log you out everytime you leave?

It sounds to me like it MIGHT be how your permissions are set in your browser...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 11, 2010, 04:43 PM   #3
Tuzo

Thanks for the suggestion. I log out everytime a TFL session is finished and TFL has no unique attributes assigned to its site.

When I operated geophysical graphics programs we labeled various program idiosyncrasies as "features." This condition maybe a "feature" unique to my laptop.
Old November 12, 2010, 09:12 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've run into similar issues with other websites before, but never here. Don't know what to tell you. But, since you're able to access the forums, it's more an annoyance than anything else.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 12, 2010, 01:31 PM   #5
tyme
Staff

It might be cookies. Do you have one set for "thefiringline.com" and another for ".thefiringline.com", or maybe even "www.thefiringline.com"? There's no universal rule for browsers and web apps to follow to determine which one takes precedence if multiple identical cookies with different domains are sent, so if you have multiple sets of cookies under the same domain that could cause problems.

Vbulletin could probably do a better job with cookie handling, but it doesn't. C'est la vie.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)