The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 3, 2013, 11:04 AM   #1

Blind is up.......getting close now boys

Well, I took time out of the Labor day weekend to get the "Ole' Backyard Blind" back up and ready. The neighbor helped and our basic premise was, if it's a bit wobbly add more wood. I was toying with a complete re-do of the platform but opted for one more season. In the picture you can see the lower supports attached at a 45 degree angle. 4 of those stopped the wobble. The blind is on my south fence and the real hunting view is the other side of the fence peeking over the hedge row.

I think it has a certain "Redneck Quality" the deer are sure to love.

What do you guys think and please throw some pics of you set up as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img017.jpg (274.9 KB, 161 views)

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old September 3, 2013, 06:56 PM   #2
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Looks pretty good to me. So long as its safe to climb and safe to sit in is the main thing. I've sat in a whole lot worse stands. {No doubt about that.} Besides your local deer probably are use to your old squeaker by now.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...34#post5267934

(top of the page are pix of my stand and a pix of its view when sitting in it. {over looking a wild field.} Nothings changed still the same condition. I have 3 of these built so far. But this one is my personal stand)
Old September 3, 2013, 07:56 PM   #3
bswiv

I think I see the "redneck quality"..............
Old September 3, 2013, 07:57 PM   #4
Toney

I like buddy stands.
Old September 4, 2013, 08:02 AM   #5
BJE80

Old September 4, 2013, 08:05 AM   #6

Sure shot

My stand is probably a cross between your stand and the fella that had the natural ground blind with the blue chair. Also, take a look at my post in your thread. I posted some picks after a tree clipped my pop up. Wow, I need to get that spot ready too!!!!

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old September 4, 2013, 08:07 AM   #7

BJE80

I'm not sure that platform will support the weight of that hub blind. That's iffy at best.

Old September 7, 2013, 06:55 AM   #8
shafter

I wouldn't feel like I was hunting if I was sitting on one of those contraptions.
Old September 7, 2013, 10:45 AM   #9
Sure Shot Mc Gee

"284":
Quote:
My stand is probably a cross between your stand and the fella that had the natural ground blind with the blue chair. Also, take a look at my post in your thread. I posted some picks after a tree clipped my pop up. Wow, I need to get that spot ready too!!!!
Yup!! I just took a look at that past thread you mentioned and seen the damage to your pop up. Tough when Mother Nature gets after a pop-up ain't it?_ Good thing you weren't sitting in it at the time._
12th thread down from the top
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...=501745&page=2

For those who have never seen Jo6pk's blind that sits between 284s and S/S McGs blinds. {well kind'a. All of us are in different States but 284s and S/S States borders touch Jo's State. MI >Wis<MN }
10-tenth thread down from the top.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...=501745&page=2
Old September 7, 2013, 06:49 PM   #10
BigD_in_FL

Whatever happened to going AFTER the quarry........................

After all, it IS called HUNTING, not waiting
Old September 7, 2013, 10:44 PM   #11
Dr. A

In many areas, if you pursue the quarry, you chase them and move them onto the adjacent property where our neighbor is waiting in their blind.
Old September 8, 2013, 08:30 PM   #12
BerdanSS

I Just Did get mine set up....I treated myself to a new one this year
Old September 8, 2013, 09:41 PM   #13
reynolds357

How do you post pictures on here? My new deer stand looks like a small barn.
Old September 9, 2013, 08:05 PM   #14
Kreyzhorse

Nice set up boys. I just ground hunt sitting on a rock but one day I'd like to build a nice blind.
Old September 9, 2013, 10:54 PM   #15
FrankenMauser

Those should all work.

Mine is always ready to go:

That little clump of pines at the end of the cliffs rolls over the top of the ridge, and into a barren saddle that runs to another deep, dark hollow. Pick a spot with a view of that saddle, wait patiently, and you're guaranteed to fill your Elk or Deer tag.

I've never been very patient while hunting, though....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2079_720.jpg (233.1 KB, 221 views)
Old September 13, 2013, 07:45 PM   #16
shafter

Quote:
Whatever happened to going AFTER the quarry........................

After all, it IS called HUNTING, not waiting
Indeed! Shooting a deer from a blind may not be "wrong" but it sure doesn't seem like hunting. Harvesting is more like it.
Old September 13, 2013, 08:39 PM   #17
pilothunter

And perhaps you don't believe in firearms as they are much easier to use than a couple of sticks, flint and some sinew?? I'd bet if you hunted in the areas and conditions where many others did you might think about your firm opinions. Maybe so, maybe not. One thing I can promise you is that arguing about any LEGAL method of hunting, between hunters, is what all anti hunters want.

BTW, I love the stand. I might not want to have the same thing myself, but I congratulate your work, effort and idea 100% !!
Old September 13, 2013, 09:03 PM   #18
BigD_in_FL

Not arguing whether it is legal or not or whether it should be legal or not; but spending all kinds of money on leases, stands, food plots, salt licks, trail cameras, feeders, etc. seems to make it more like "deer waiting" than "deer hunting". I lived and hunted out West where most of the above mentioned activities would get you arrested as illegal baiting. If your goal is just to shoot some deer, then have at it; but if your goal is to fully appreciate the hunting aspect, the battle of wits and skills, then IMO, you have to go after them critters, not bait them into coming to you.

JMO, YMMV
Old September 13, 2013, 09:05 PM   #19
reynolds357

I enjoy Deer waiting. It relaxes me.
Old September 13, 2013, 11:02 PM   #20
arch308

When I was younger I enjoyed the still hunt. I hunt a limited area and have learned that if I tromp all over my few hundred acres that the deer go somewhere else. I still occasionally get on the ground towards the end of the season to get my doe.
I have found over the years that I see more deer throughout the season if I just relax in my blind. A soft chair, something to drink & snack on, and a good book in the deer stand is my favorite way to spend my spare time.
Old September 14, 2013, 07:54 AM   #21
reynolds357

That pretty much sums up my deer hunting Arch.
Old September 14, 2013, 09:35 AM   #22
pilothunter

QUOTE:
Not arguing whether it is legal or not or whether it should be legal or not; but spending all kinds of money on leases, stands, food plots, salt licks, trail cameras, feeders, etc. seems to make it more like "deer waiting" than "deer hunting". I lived and hunted out West where most of the above mentioned activities would get you arrested as illegal baiting. If your goal is just to shoot some deer, then have at it; but if your goal is to fully appreciate the hunting aspect, the battle of wits and skills, then IMO, you have to go after them critters, not bait them into coming to you.JMO, YMMV

I've hunted out west, in Canada and Alaska as well. But as a resident of Tennessee, I simply cannot always afford such trips. Much as many of us might want, we do not always have access to thousands or even hundreds of acres to hunt. Perhaps you're saying those who don't (or can't) go out, walk and challenge the quarry over hundreds of acres shouldn't hunt at all??

By the way, where was the subject of "baiting" mentioned in the previous posts? I didn't see it. I simply saw someone who used what resources he had to accomplish what he wanted to do; shoot a deer. My point was and remains, there are lots of legal ways to hunt deer, from dogs in N.C. to horseback in Alberta (I've done both). It should not be anyone's concern as to how another enjoys their hunt, so long as it's done legally.

Just sayin'
Old September 14, 2013, 05:03 PM   #23
BigD_in_FL

Wasn't saying you shouldn't hunt - try reading my post again before going off in a tizzy............

No one was questioning the legality at all.....but since you want to act like this, I'll just let it go. As I said, out West, the activities that are legal here in the East would get you arrested for baiting; again, reread what I posted

Just sayin'.......

Backatcha.......
Old September 14, 2013, 06:34 PM   #24
shafter

Quote:
I enjoy Deer waiting. It relaxes me.
Well said!
Old September 14, 2013, 07:56 PM   #25
pilothunter

QUOTE:

Wasn't saying you shouldn't hunt - try reading my post again before going off in a tizzy............

No one was questioning the legality at all.....but since you want to act like this, I'll just let it go. As I said, out West, the activities that are legal here in the East would get you arrested for baiting; again, reread what I posted

Just sayin'.......

Backatcha.......

No tizzy here Big(?)D,

I read your response several times before responding. You seem to make assumptions and accusations that are there, plain as day. If you don't like how other people hunt, completely legally, I suggest you keep your useless, ridiculous opinions to yourself. You are just the type what true hunters who support other true hunters dislike. I suggest reading your other idiotic posting again.

I figure I was clear as can be there this time.