The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 26, 2012, 05:14 PM   #1
Lurch37

Thoughts on Range Bag Identification.

Yesterday I went to my local private Gun Range and once inside the gate I noticed a range bag laying by itself where we park our cars. There was no one there except me and so I went over and picked up the bag, then sat it on my pickup bed tailgate. I didn't know what to do so I went through the bag looking for some form of I.D. so as to call the person and let him know his bag was here. After finding nothing, I proceeded to shoot what I had intended to shoot, thinking about what I was going to do if the guy didn't show up before I left.

I had made up my mind to take the bag home, call our range president, and tell him I had it, and hope that whoever left it there would do the same and ask if anyone had found anything, thus letting him contact me and getting his stuff back to him. Our range office is locked and I wasn't about to just leave it there, so I was hoping I had made the right choice.

About half way through my session, a car comes in, leaving the gate open, and comes quickly over to my truck. I was relieved that the owner had noticed his missing stuff and came back before I left as I felt rather uncomfortable in the idea of taking it with me. I told him I had looked through the bag in an effort to find some I.D., and he was fine with that and very happy that his bag was still there.

Maybe you guys already do this, and I can't believe I never thought about it, but after this little episode, I have decided to somehow mark my bags with my personal info in case I ever leave a bag there, and I would strongly suggest that anyone who doesn't have some I.D. in their bags to do so.

I would also enjoy your thoughts on if I was correct in the decision to take the bag home and contacting the range officers in hopes of the bags owner doing the same.

Thanks.
Old March 26, 2012, 05:47 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Maybe you guys already do this, and I can't believe I never thought about it, but after this little episode, I have decided to somehow mark my bags with my personal info in case I ever leave a bag there, and I would strongly suggest that anyone who doesn't have some I.D. in their bags to do so.
I suppose it is my role to rain on every available parade.

Suppose the person who finds your range bag isn't a "good guy"? Suppose, for example, that his profession is cat burglar. So he finds your range bag, he finds your ID inside, and he now knows where there's a house that has guns in it.

Having some sort of contact information is probably a good idea, but consider that it might be best to limit it to a card with a nickname (only) and a cell phone number that doesn't register your full name when called, and doesn't spit up your address when reverse searched.
Old March 26, 2012, 06:17 PM   #3
Willie Sutton

I use stamped Dog-Tags with my name, cellphone, and Post Office box stamped on the tag. It's good ID but does not include my home address. I had a dozen of them made for just a few dollars, have them on all of my bags, briefcase, etc. They look good and work well.

Willie

Old March 26, 2012, 11:17 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Willie Sutton -- excellent idea.
Old March 27, 2012, 05:11 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Luggage tags comes to mind.

Lurch37 - you're a good man.
Old March 27, 2012, 10:27 AM   #6
johnbt

I have found stuff at the range and had to take it to protect it.

I always leave a note on the bulletin board with a general statement of what I found and how to contact me - just to cover my butt against theft claims.
Old March 27, 2012, 11:31 AM   #7
PPBart

Quote:
Suppose the person who finds your range bag isn't a "good guy"?
Back when I used to travel extensively on business I tagged all my bags with my work address and phone # (which was always forwarded to my cell when out of office). Actually, this was recommended practice by my employer.
Old March 27, 2012, 11:17 PM   #8
lawnboy

Quote:
Back when I used to travel extensively on business I tagged all my bags with my work address and phone # (which was always forwarded to my cell when out of office). Actually, this was recommended practice by my employer.
This is what I do. Both for luggage and for my range bag. I just pop a business card into the tag slot.

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her"-- W.C Fields
Old March 28, 2012, 10:28 AM   #9
UtopiaTexasG19

"Suppose the person who finds your range bag isn't a "good guy"? Suppose, for example, that he is a profession cat burglar. So he finds your range bag, he finds your ID inside, and he now knows where there's a house that has guns in it."

You can always identify the cat burglars at the shooting range. They have the longer whiskers!
Old March 28, 2012, 07:43 PM   #10
Lurch37

Quote:
I suppose it is my role to rain on every available parade.
I guess it is since I got soaked walking to the mailbox this afternoon.

But yes, I see your point, although I wasn't suggesting that one should have a detailed 3-D map of your firearm locations and the same for directions to your house. Only an I.D. of some sort so said person, hopefully a good one, could contact you.

I do like that dog-tag idea thanks. And as for posting some note on a bulletin board, our range office is locked, but I suppose a guy could leave a note of some sort taped to the door? I dunno bout that one.
Old March 28, 2012, 09:49 PM   #11
Jeff22

IDing your range bag

The dog tag idea would work well.

I have military fabric name tapes sewed on many of my gear bags.

Some of my shooting bags have padded sides that makes sewing difficult so I may have a batch of dog tags made up.