The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 30, 2010, 12:48 AM   #1
Waccou

Can I send a rifle scope to a person in Belgium?

I am in need of some spare parts for an FN (FNC) rifle I own. They are not readily available in the U.S. but a private collector there is willing to trade them for various items I can easily get here. One of the items is a rifle scope and some mounts. Also requested are some firing pins and pistol magazines. Total for all of the item is less than $500 retail. I know ther are restrictions on sending nightvision items out of the US but what about these items? I really don't need to take a chance on these things and could arrange to just buy the parts via Paypal but felt like doing him a favor so he doesn't get hung up with his own customs dept etc.
Any advice or references for the answer?
Thanks
Old September 30, 2010, 12:53 AM   #2
scorpion_tyr

I wish I could give you some real answers, but I'll leave that up to other members of the forum who know a heck of a lot more about international gun laws than myself.

What I will say is that I would advise you to do A LOT of research to make sure it's perfectly legit. Of all the things listed the pistol magazines may be the only thing you have to worry about, but find out for sure before you make a mistake. Some laws get really complicated when it comes to importing gun parts so the answer to your question might take a while.
Old September 30, 2010, 01:32 AM   #3
HiBC

A couple years back I sent some things to a friend in France.I know,France is not Belgium,but this may help.
Somehow,after much searching,I found a French government website about shipping things to France.there was an extensive list of things that were banned.for example,perfume was banned.
Many computer items were banned.I was not checking on anything firearms related.
You do have to provide a detailed list of what you ship at Fedex or UPS.You also must declare a value,and probably back it up with a sales tag or receipt.In my case,any item over 45 euro,approx $65,was subject to duty and/ot Value Added Tax(VAT).This was substantial.They do not just smoothly flow packages through,they may get sidelined for inspection.Everything needs to be accurate.
There is something about going to fedex,or UPS,and they have a process where the country you are dealing with trusts UPS or FEDEX.The UPS or FEDEX person is involved in creating the package and the duty/taxes are prepaid.I highly recommend you do not do this through some franchise mailbox store .Nightmares come true.
Do not even bother to call the USPS.they will have no help for you.
Old September 30, 2010, 01:41 AM   #4
Waccou

Wow, you guys are quick. I don't like what I'm hearing so far. I was worried that there might be some difficulties or significant VATs. Appreciate the input so far. Thanks
Old September 30, 2010, 01:51 AM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

There are no restrictions on the U.S. end about you sending gun parts and accessories to Europe. There ARE restrictions on his end about receiving same. I have heard of people in the U.S. trying to send gun parts (NOT receivers) to friends in European Union countries, and the packages were intercepted by customs. The resulting furor was reportedly not enjoyable for anyone other than the "authorities having jurisdiction."
Old September 30, 2010, 02:02 AM   #6
Waccou

Ok I see what you are saying. But does this put me at any legal risk or is the receiver (in Belgium) the one who gets grilled? If the guy wants me to chance sending him those things (I'll assume he would still possibly get them but after months of red tape) should I care as long as I get my parts - which he will send simultaneously?
Old September 30, 2010, 03:05 AM   #7
kadima

For European Union rules, a rifle scope is just a piece of optics and can be shipped without any other aggro than customs fees...
If you were sending anything "under" the scope rings then it would be a lot of paperworks...

K. (typing from Italy - fine producers of red tape since 1861)
Old September 30, 2010, 07:05 AM   #8
Waccou

We have been making surplus red tape too for many years as well.
Old September 30, 2010, 11:50 AM   #9
divil

Quote:
For European Union rules, a rifle scope is just a piece of optics and can be shipped without any other aggro than customs fees.
Not necessarily. There are no EU-wide laws for this kind of thing. Each country has it's own rules.

Also, note you are not responsible for import duty/taxes - the recipient is. I don't know what it's like in Belgium, but in many EU countries there is always a chance of getting a package through without getting caught for import fees. Marking 'category' on the label as 'gift' and putting a low value on it helps

Quote:
Do not even bother to call the USPS.they will have no help for you.
Not sure what you mean by that - maybe you don't trust USPS to send a fragile package or whatever - fair enough - but they will send it. No need to call them. Just go to the post office and hand them the package and say you want to send it to Belgium. If they ask what's in it, just say "optical equipment".
Old September 30, 2010, 11:54 AM   #10
brickeyee

Quote:
There are no restrictions on the U.S. end about you sending gun parts and accessories to Europe.
Better cvheck that one again.

Look under 'ITAR' (International Traffic in Arms Regulations).

The State Department has a site up dedicated to ITAR, and all sorts of arms parts ARE restricted.

Some scopes meeting military specs ARE restricted.
Old September 30, 2010, 01:17 PM   #11
johnbt

Even with the correct export/import paperwork, LOTS of things are restricted. For example...

http://www.sinclairintl.com/aspx/gen...nal_sales.aspx

"Restricted Items:

United States Defense controlled items such as bullets, brass, primers, powder, rifle parts, tactical scopes, etc. may not be shipped to non-US citizens, regardless of the delivery address.

Cleaning solvents, aerosols, petroleum based flammables, and lithium batteries are regulated items that may not be shipped outside the United States. We will make every opportunity to inform you that these items will be removed from your order."
Old September 30, 2010, 05:54 PM   #12
Waccou

Ok, now it is getting confusing. I have seen similar language on another website that sells optics. What exactly consitutes a "Tactical" scope - the reticle (ie. lighted)? The way it looks?
Old September 30, 2010, 07:57 PM   #13
langenc

Probably what some JA55 thinks at the time, among others.