The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 12, 2018, 12:33 AM   #1
Venti30

Sonic cleaner at home for gun cleaning?

If you use one, which would you recommend? Thanks in advance for sharing experience.
Old May 12, 2018, 01:49 AM   #2
TruthTellers

Depends on the size of the parts you're looking to clean. I don't recommend spending $400 on a cleaner to do entire AR uppers, you're better off removing the gas port and bolt carrier in a smaller sonic cleaner that costs half as much.
Old May 12, 2018, 04:01 AM   #3
Scorch

I have one of the full-sized Lyman ultrasonic cleaners in my shop. It works fantastic. That said, most people have no need for a $1,500 ultrasonic cleaner able to accept a regular rifle barreled action or a solid framed shotgun (38" long). There are a couple of units intended and marketed for home shops, they will accept about 12" x 9" parts, so you could fit a AR lower or a 44 Mag revolver into it.
Old May 12, 2018, 01:52 PM   #4
lamarw

Lots of reason not to use one for firearms. Newer finishes, night sights, scopes, time to disassemble and reassemble, expense of cleaning solutions and the list goes on.

I do use my L&R cleaner for antique clock movement repair work requiring total disassembly. I also use it for cleaning my firearms brass prior to reloading.

L&R does have a section at their web site on the use of ultra sonics for firearm cleaning. It sounds like a good idea for repair shops and larger law enforcement agencies. I would not use it as just a dunk tank for cleaning whole guns.
Old May 14, 2018, 07:54 AM   #5
cw308

Dunk tanks . That reminds me , our door gunner's use to clean their 60's buy soaking them in a drum of JP4 .