The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 2, 2018, 01:31 PM   #26
ammo.crafter

no 2nd best

I'm with you and use my 357 Max Contender for most hunting here in the Northeast.
Old January 3, 2018, 09:15 AM   #27
Joe-ker

I never got to excited about slug hunting deer here in Iowa, but the opportunity to use my Henry .357 changes things.

Now if I hadn't bought the brass version............dummy.
Old January 4, 2018, 12:44 PM   #28
Cheapshooter

Missouri changed it's muzzle loader season to "alternative methods" a few years ago. Basically allowing handguns in addition to muzzle loaders. Nothing about "straight wall" however.
Now I use my TC Contender in either 35 Remington, or 7-30 Waters. My son uses a Glock G40 MOS.
I have no problems with the changes because "muzzle loader" hunting has become so convoluted with modern muzzle loaders shooting nearly on a par with centerfires.
The change I would have rather seen would be exposed ignition, loose powder, pure lead projectiles, and no optics. True cap and ball, or flintlock arms.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 4, 2018, 09:04 PM   #29
briandg

I can't tell if anyone ever explained it. Straight cased rounds are generally either pistol or rounds like the 45-70. most of The straight cased rounds do not develop the velocity of the average bottleneck. The straight cased rounds to not have the aerodynamic shape. A bottlenecked .300 magnum with a low drag bullet can remain dangerous in the air across an entire city, but a .44 magnum will hit the ground a lot sooner. This is a simple thing, it's done in areas where there are developments and hunting plots are small. Some states allow only shotgun slugs for a similar reason.

our state, for better or worse, has now made hunting with an atlatl legal. Spear hunting. No further comment, they would be impolite.
Old January 4, 2018, 11:45 PM   #30
Reloadron

Quote:
Straight Wall States Hunting
I read more and more on this as a growing thing in some states. Do such states allow lever guns or only primitive type or single shot? If single shot only can one put a plug in the magazine to limit to one round?
For decades Ohio only allowed a gun season where you could use a cap & ball primitave or you could use a shotgun with a slug (pumpkin ball). A few years ago Ohio made some major improvements in allowing straight wall cartridges to include:
These specific straight-walled cartridge rifles are legal for deer hunting: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, .460 ...Nov 20, 2014 and I believe the 45-70 government is now in the mix, Large bore handgun was always permitted. Large part of the problems with Ohio is flat land with the exception of down south and population density. So while cartridges like 308 Winchester and 30-06 Springfield remain out the new laws opened up some good choices are available. They also have opened up Sunday for deer hunting which is nice.

Many surrounding Mid Western states are enacting similar laws and some have opened things up but only in certain areas,

Ron
Old January 5, 2018, 09:43 AM   #31
peterg7

^ when you add sabot/rifled barrels shotguns and in-line muzzle loaders Ohio has come a long way from punkin balls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 6, 2018, 10:23 AM   #32
briandg

Western hunters and their ultra magnums can use those thing because they sometimes have miles of trees between shooter and potential collateral damage, many miles of open land, and some areas are hilly or even mountainous. As said,other areas of the US are genuinely flat, not heavily forested, heavily populated, and some of those areas are also covered with open cropland that may stretch for thousands of yards.

Yes, some of that ground really calls for long range rifles, but straight wall cases and low velocity are safer.
Old January 6, 2018, 01:36 PM   #33
jimbob86

Quote:
Western hunters and their ultra magnums can use those thing because they sometimes have miles of trees between shooter and potential collateral damage, many miles of open land, and some areas are hilly or even mountainous. As said,other areas of the US are genuinely flat, not heavily forested, heavily populated, and some of those areas are also covered with open cropland that may stretch for thousands of yards.

Yes, some of that ground really calls for long range rifles, but straight wall cases and low velocity are safer.
Yesterday 10:43 AM
No gun is safe if the user doesn't follow the four rules, one of which is for the shooter to know his target and what lies beyond it......
Old January 6, 2018, 03:22 PM   #34
briandg

really big assumption that nobody actually has thought about that already. It doesn't matter at all what a person thinks is in front of him sometimes, because a magnum round with over two mile range of potential kill zone at the end of it is going to be a whole lot more dangerous than a .357 or other straight wall round with terrible long range potential. this isn't even touching on how dangerous a bullet can be if it bounces off of a rock in the dirt or a fence post and goes airborn. You can't render your shot safe just by following rules.

Nobody can even guess when there is a group of hunters down range, and no, a person cannot always have a nice long canopy of forest behind what they are shooting at. A short range cartridge will not carry as far and will be safer to fire in areas that are partially developed or will probably have other hunters nearby. When I was a kid i found a guy aiming at a white patch on my coat. My orange vest was behind a tree, he came up behind me and thought that it was a white tail.
Old January 6, 2018, 04:07 PM   #35
jimbob86

Quote:
because a magnum round with over two mile range of potential kill zone at the end of it is going
I'm trying to figure out how a bullet is going to go two miles unless you shot it up into the air at a pretty serious positive angle (dumb stuff) ..... even if you shot it a a very flat hard surface (dumb stuff) or water (dumber stuff) the bullet would deform and destabilize in short order .... even military FMJ doesn't fly well after hitting something .... a lead cored soft point designed to upset on impact ? Please.

As for not knowing where other hunters are .... that's part of the reason you ask permission to hunt: to know where other people are going to be at, and when..... it's also a good reason to not go traipsing around lost during hunting season, trespassing.....

Quote:
When I was a kid i found a guy aiming at a white patch on my coat.
Dumb stuff on both your parts ..... I guess Hunter Ed. didn't take .... every class I've been in included warnings to not make yourself look like the game in season .... and not to point guns at things you had not positively ID'd as a target .....

Quote:
You can't render your shot safe just by following rules.
If you can't be sure it's safe, don't take the shot.
Old January 7, 2018, 08:40 PM   #36
reynolds357

Quote:
when deer are in short supply, "Rule-Beaters" need their B-Hinds beaten ..... I hate in-lines ..... that ain't what they made the season for .... marketing and the Chamber of Commerce and the Insurance Lobby drove that .....
I am kind of mixed on the whole muzzleloader thing. My muzzleloader is an easy 400 yard rifle. The DNR folks around here seem to prefer in lines because so many woundings of game with traditional. Youth can use centerfire during muzzleloader season due to safety issues and high accident rate with muzzleloader.
Old January 7, 2018, 08:45 PM   #37
reynolds357

Quote:
When I was a kid i found a guy aiming at a white patch on my coat.
Dumb stuff on both your parts ..... I guess Hunter Ed. didn't take .... every class I've been in included warnings to not make yourself look like the game in season .... and not to point guns at things you had not positively ID'd as a target .....
I was hunting about 30 years ago and this big old deer was topping a hill about 300 yards in front of me. It was a buck, but its head was flopping around. I glassed it (with binos) and it was my idiot uncle carrying a buck out on his shoulders. He had done a marvelous job of completely obscuring his orange vest.
Old January 7, 2018, 08:47 PM   #38
jimbob86

Quote:
I was hunting about 30 years ago and this big old deer was topping a hill about 300 yards in front of me. It was a buck, but its head was flopping around. I glasses it (with binos) and it was my idiot uncle carrying a buck out on his shoulders. He had done a marvelous job of completely obscuring his orange vest.
Dumb stuff.

And either your idiot uncle was a real hoss or your deer were tiny.
Old January 8, 2018, 06:58 PM   #39
reynolds357

Quote:
Dumb stuff.

And either your idiot uncle was a real hoss or your deer were tiny.
Maybe y'all are just wimps where you come from. If you can't pack a good buck out on your shoulders, oh well. I have packed out many, many, deer on my shoulders. After dark with a light on so its safe.
Old January 11, 2018, 01:39 PM   #40
jimbob86

Not throwing 150+ pounds of dead weight on my shoulders and trying to walk a mile with it does not make me a wimp ..... it says that I'm smart enough to know my limitations. It also says I'm smart enough not to be completely covered in blood .....
Old January 11, 2018, 07:03 PM   #41
reynolds357

More than 150 lbs. Not even close to a mile.
Old January 11, 2018, 10:04 PM   #42
blackwidowp61

years ago, I shot a deer that took off running along the bottom of a coulee. I gave it some time and started tracking it. Along the way I felt something was wrong and looked to the top of the coulee. There was another hunter there aiming his rifle at me (and before you ask, I was wearing a blaze orange coat and hat). I yelled and he lowered his rifle. I asked if he had seen my deer go by and he said no. I got back on the blood trail and found the deer, dead not 40 yards from where the guy was!
That convinced me never to carry another deer out on my shoulders (at that time I was in my early 20s, 6' and 200 pounds of healthy muscle, some of it between my ears ) as I didn't want another orifice punched in my hide. Since the time that I was unable to drag a deer because of age and disability, I have used a bicycle-wheeled cart to do the heavy hauling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFCrJleggrI
Old January 12, 2018, 10:13 AM   #43
briandg

Very few people are shot while hunting alone. Lots of people are shot while hunting in populated areas. Some people are even shot while sitting at their breakfast and having coffee. One of the nice things about bow hunting is that stray shots are pretty well self-limiting, an arrow won't travel a half mile and clobber a little old lady who's watering her roses outside her country home.
Old January 12, 2018, 11:57 AM   #44
jimbob86

Quote:
Many surrounding Mid Western states
It kills me that people still refer to Ohio and contiguous states as the "Midwest" .... by any measure save maybe from a Park Avenue or Tidewater biased viewpoint, Ohio is not in the middle of the country, nor in the middle of the "West" ..... not geographically nor in terms of mean center of the US population .... and has not been since before the end of the 19th Century ..... it does sound better than "The Rust Belt", true ....but it just ain't so, and has not been so in more than a Century. It makes only slightly more sense as calling the same area + Michigan/Wisconsin/Minnesota "The Northwest Territories".
Old January 12, 2018, 01:10 PM   #45
Blindstitch

Quote:
It kills me that people still refer to Ohio and contiguous states as the "Midwest"
Like it or not that's how other states view it and even Encyclopedia Britannica.
https://www.britannica.com/place/Middle-West
Also found in the New world Encyclopedia.
http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/..._United_States

As for the rust belt I wish it didn't exist. I've had more cars/trucks killed by rust than powertrain failure. Southern Wisconsin seems to be a lot better on my vehicles than Northern Michigan was.
Old January 12, 2018, 04:26 PM   #46
briandg

The west meant the Mississippi river for maybe a century, Missouri was the "west", and everything beyond that was referred to as "westward". There were no states past Missouri for nearly a century after our founding and we only had western States after the civil war and that changed and muddled everything.

In the beginning we had about 16 states considered east, on or near the coast, everything else up to the Mississippi was west, hence you have "mid-west". The term just rolled forward with expansion so that it sort of means everything up to Colorado.

I am personally more fond of 'belt' terminology. Rust belt, corn belt,bible belt, etc. Where do we put the dork belt?

Worry about the fact that the great leaders of industry,finance, politics, media, and general world influence are clustered in and around maybe six or so states and these people refer to the entire continental US beyond those few states as 'flyover state's.
Old January 12, 2018, 06:28 PM   #47
Duke of Lawn Chair

The lower third of the lower peninsula of Michigan used to be shot gun only. Then went to pistol caliber and shot gun only and now is straight wall & shot gun only. My brother uses his .450 Ruger AR.

There are areas where you could shoot across an open field for a mile or more.
Old January 12, 2018, 07:17 PM   #48
3Crows

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandg View Post

I am personally more fond of 'belt' terminology. Rust belt, corn belt,bible belt, etc. Where do we put the dork belt?
Dork Belt, is that not north of the Mason Dixon? Kansas considers itself Midwest also.

I just wish we could count on people to use common sense and then we could just have a hunting seasons(s).

3C