The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 21, 2021, 08:30 AM   #1
Mac1955

Ruger Redhawk

Hello to all,
I am wondering if it is possible to change barrels on a Ruger Redhawk, I have a friend who wants to put a 7 1/2" barrel on his Ruger Redhawk, it currently has a 4 1/2" barrel on it now. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Old October 21, 2021, 11:37 AM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

welcome to TFL

First step is contact Ruger. They may do the work, they may not. They may sell the barrel for someone else to do the work, they may not. I don't know what their current policy is.

Find out, FIRST, then figure out if you have other options.
good Luck!
Old October 23, 2021, 08:13 AM   #3
Willie Lowman

As far as I know Ruger doesn't sell these parts like S&W does. For work, one would have to send the revolver to them.
Old October 23, 2021, 11:29 AM   #4
jackmoser65

It is not only possible but done regularly. It's going to be much more economical to sell it and buy what he wants. I have all sorts of custom guns but it never makes sense financially to build what you can already buy. My two cents any way.
Old October 23, 2021, 03:20 PM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

Yup. He can sell his gun (assuming it's in decent condition) and buy another one that's the way he wants it to be and only be out a little bit of money.

In fact, some years ago, I decided I wanted a shorter barrel on my Super Redhawk and found someone who was willing to trade straight across since mine was in really nice condition.

It's going to cost him a lot more to have a different barrel installed. And probably take a lot longer too.
Old October 23, 2021, 08:08 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
As far as I know Ruger doesn't sell these parts like S&W does.
S&W hasn't sold barrels or cylinders for over 30 years, nearly 40.

I think Ruger sells some parts but I don't think they sell barrels, you'll have to as Ruger.

Best solution, BUY the gun you want, then either keep both, or sell the one you don't want anymore.

Next best, sell the one you've got and buy the one you want, but then you're without a gun until the one you want arrives.

Pretty sure the labor cost (leaving aside the parts cost if you can get a barrel) would be more than the price difference between the short and long barrel model. SO, even if you COULD get the barrel you want, having a smith install it is the least desirable option, economically. And if you need to add in the cost of the new barrel, its way beyond "cheap".

IF Ruger will do it, and you think the cost is fair, have Ruger do it. If not, I think you'd be better off buying another gun with the barrel length you want, rather than trying to get the barrels changed. Its not the 70s or the 50s anymore....damnit...
Old October 23, 2021, 10:50 PM   #7
jackmoser65

Last I heard Ruger wasn't doing any elective work. Even if they would do the work, it will be a while before they'd accept it and it will still cost you. Less than a gunsmith but still more than buying/selling/trading.
Old March 21, 2023, 01:00 PM   #8
KMO

S&W Sold me a Barrel, and did the Work

Quote:
S&W hasn't sold barrels or cylinders for over 30 years, nearly 40.
Not so, 44 AMP. I had a Model 686P TALO version with a 7-inch barrel. I contacted S&W and asked them if they would sell me a 3-inch barrel and install it for me. They quickly gave me a price, gave me instructions on how to ship my revolver to them, and they had the job completed within about two months. This was just three years ago. It was done very professionally, and within the price range I was willing to pay them. They actually performed the work in their Performance Center shop.
Old March 21, 2023, 08:35 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

TO clarify a bit, S&W hasn't sold barrel or cylinders as parts in ages. Likewise the "blister packs" with S&W Target Hammers & Triggers are long a thing of the past.

Once upon a time, S&W sold the parts to everyone who wanted them. Then they stopped that, and would only sell the parts to S&W "authorized warranty stations" (Certified S&W gunsmiths). They might still do that, I don't know. Pretty sure if you wanted a barrel to install yourself, S&W wouldn't sell you one.

What you "bought" was a S&W factory "installation" which included the cost of the barrel and the work to install it.

However, it is always possible I'm wrong. To find out what S&W is doing today, call them...
Old March 22, 2023, 02:32 PM   #10
Mannlicher

my solution would be to just buy the other Ruger and keep both

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan