The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 23, 2011, 10:14 PM   #1
Bfry012

Over/Under shotgun advice any help will be appreciated

I am looking to buy an o/u. I currently have a Browning BPS 12g pump. I am on a very tight budget or atleast if I want to remain married I am. The guns that are in my price range I know are not fan favorites but it is what it is. My choices are a Mossberg Silver Reserve a CZ (not sure of model but assume it is there lower line) a Stoeger Condor or a used Franchi Diamond with Benelli stamped on it. All the above are in the $500 range except the Condor and it is $400. Even if I save to get a better gun later it would still cause problems so that is not an option. I enjoy shooting trap therefore that will be primary use. I do not have the time to get a ton of use out of it. I will be lucky to put 500 rounds a summer out of it. Please let me know your thoughts
Old May 23, 2011, 10:33 PM   #2
the rifleer

I shoot trap with a mossberg 500 20 gauge and I shoot just as well as some of the guys with $5k+ shotguns.

If you seriously only shoot 500 rounds in the period of 3 or 4 months, just stick with the BPS. If you are set on getting a new O/U, get the used Franchi. Thats my vote.
Old May 23, 2011, 10:49 PM   #3
Mike1

Look at the Lanbers carried by CDNN
Old May 23, 2011, 11:23 PM   #4
.300 Weatherby Mag

How about a BPS Trap?? Its a better option than a cheap o/u... With cheaper o/u's the barrel regulation generally sucks and its not conducive to consistent clay breakage...
Old May 23, 2011, 11:36 PM   #5
denster

+1 on the Lanber. Google CDNN and download their catalog. The Franchi is a good gun and the CZ will also fill the bill for what you want to do. CDNN also has the CZ on sale.
Old May 24, 2011, 09:10 AM   #6
zippy13

Which "trap" do you want to shoot? If just 16-yd (singles) and handicap, then you don't need (or want) a O/U. If doubles, then you'll want an O/U that's beyond your budget, sorry.
Old May 24, 2011, 09:16 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Of the ones mentioned in the OP, the Franchi will probably last longest. However, for trap singles I'd just use a pump. That's what I did, an 870 TB. Worked well and gave me lots of straights.

Other choice, look around for a used Winchester 101, Miroku, SKB or B gun.
Old May 24, 2011, 01:05 PM   #8
TheKlawMan

I followed this with interest. I shot a round of trap from the handicap line last week with the tightest choke I have for my 870 express, a modified, and it wasn't too bad. If I can hit with it anybody can.

Still am thinking about getting an o/u, but first am finally taking a lesson as all have suggested. (The one group skeet lesson to me doesn't quite count as a real lesson since it was difficult to impossible for the instructor to focus on individual problems. Or maybe I was just to reticent to speak out in a group environment.)

Anyway, as a beginner with title to 800 holes in the sky, I vote on just staying with the BPS and spending the $$$ on shooting expenses and/or lessons.
Old May 24, 2011, 02:11 PM   #9
Slugo

Lanber definitely for a new gun, or, Browning, SKB or Beretta for a nice preowned. You'll be sorry quick should you opt for any of the other cheapos mentioned above...
Old May 24, 2011, 06:35 PM   #10
Drummer101

With the browning you would have to pump after every time, why not a Remington 870 trap so you can put the round in the chamber (if you want something different)

I shoot lefty with a semi auto so it should not be bad.
Old May 24, 2011, 09:55 PM   #11
clang

I recommend saving a little more money and buying a used Browning Citori ar Beretta. A gun with at least 28" barrels. A field grade Citori can be found in the $700 price range, and if you ever want to upgraqde or change guns, you won't lose much (if any) value in the gun.

Most of us move through several guns until we get the one thaqt just feels right to us. Might as well do it as cost effectively as possible.
Old May 24, 2011, 10:00 PM   #12
solidgun

One more reason to spend a little more money is that you may want to sell it later on and the value stays with quality o/u.

I have seen those $400 o/u on classifieds stay there for a long time. I guess people will keep theirs for a long time. But if I ever decide to upgrade and I put my Browning O/U for sale at $1500, I will be able to get close to that price and be able to upgrade it if I ever decide to become fancy pants o/u guy.
Old May 24, 2011, 10:48 PM   #13
sirsloop

Spend less on a gun and more on shooting! I shoot with a $300 870 pump. Ya it may not be as fancy and polished but it puts lead on target the same!
Old May 25, 2011, 11:43 AM   #14
oneounceload

Spend some of that money on getting your gun properly fitted and the rest on lessons and ammo.

If, after a year or so, you still want to shoot only trap singles, then scrimp and get the BT-99. Otherwise, your current gun for singles is just fine
Old May 25, 2011, 02:42 PM   #15
BigJimP

I would recommend you just keep shooting the BPS ...there is no advantage to going to a lesser quality O/U ...and a variety of mechanical problems and long term quality issues with some of the guns on your list are well documented unfortunately.

The BPS is not at a disadvantage in anyway on a Trap field ...in my opinon.

For a lot of reasons I do prefer an O/U for Trap and all of the clay target games ...but many yrs ago / when I was raising kids, and was still on a tight budget, my BPS served me very well ...and its still a solid gun today after many thousands of shells thru it for clays and for game birds...and its been 38 yrs, I think, since I bought that first BPS 12ga ...

For a dedicated Trap gun down the road ...I'd suggest saving up for a good Browning BT-99 or even the older BT-100 if you like a solid break open single barrel gun in 32" or 34" barrel ...or go to the Citori XT Trap O/U in
32" barrels. But no reason to rush into it ...
Old May 28, 2011, 04:22 PM   #16
batmann

I shoot my BPS in both Trap and sometimes Sporting Clays just to stay sharp. I much prefer my O/U, but I feel I am at no disadvantage with the pump. Shoot yours in as many events as you can and ask the shooters there is you can borrow an O/U just to see if you shoot better.