The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 13, 2013, 07:57 AM   #1
tylerstg

The most desirable 686

Just curious and looking for opinions I own a first year production 686 in excellent shape are these the most desirable in terms of collectibility?
Old February 13, 2013, 08:37 AM   #2
Robk

As it is first production, it should not have that stupid lock on it. This alone makes it more desireable. As for any other factors, people with more knowledge will most certainly be along to add to this.
Old February 13, 2013, 09:29 AM   #3
MrBorland

Some might pay more for a "no dash", but generally, I've not noticed they command a premium over other pre-lock 686s. More important is condition and fit/finish.

FWIW, I may go against the grain, but my personal "most desirable 686" is the -5. It was a transitional version, so it's the only one that's pre-lock, but with newer features, such as frame-mounted firing pin, pinned front sight, new style cylinder release, and non-recessed cylinder.
Old February 13, 2013, 11:53 AM   #4
18DAI

For most desireable 686 I'd vote for the scarce CS1 variants. Particularly the 3 inch tube versions. They are allegedly the "best made" of the 686's due to having to meet government contract specifications in durability and accuracy.

Overall the most desireable 686 "dash" appears to be the 686-4. All the best engineering changes without any of the cost cutting/cheapening of the model that came later.

The 686 I like best is my 4 inch 686-4+ 7-shot. Very nice revolver with a great trigger. Regards 18DAI
Old February 13, 2013, 04:14 PM   #5
southjk

Here is a good breakdown of the 686-x changes.

Personally, the most desirable 686 is my -3. Just because it's mine
Old February 13, 2013, 04:23 PM   #6
Sevens

Quote:
Personally, the most desirable 686 is my -3. Just because it's mine
Thief, you stole my line, that's what I was gonna say!
The only thing about my dash-3 I'd change is that I would have opted for the goofy adjustable FRONT sight. I considered it.

Of course, if I had...maybe right now I'd be wishing I'd went a little more traditional. I dunno.
Quote:
FWIW, I may go against the grain, but my personal "most desirable 686" is the -5. It was a transitional version, so it's the only one that's pre-lock, but with newer features, such as frame-mounted firing pin, pinned front sight, new style cylinder release, and non-recessed cylinder.
I don't know if the SCSW has production numbers, but I'm guessing that your favorite is one of less mintage than many others. I know that I don't see the dash-5 often and I'm drawn to 686's and 586's when I see them offered on the used market.

My buddy has a Model 657 of similar vintage that's pre-lock but with the altered cylinder stop much like your dash-5 and WOW, that is one very, very well done Smith & Wesson revolver. I think it's a real hidden gem.

As for the non-recessed cylinder, I'm pretty sure no L-frame S&W has any recessed cylinder. I'm sure you know that, but it comes off a bit confusing in your post...as if an earlier model did have them. I learned this a couple years back because my memory had me convinced that an older club member when I was kid had a 586 with recessed chambers but in research (and hindsight), I must have been looking at a different revolver.
Old February 13, 2013, 05:17 PM   #7
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens
As for the non-recessed cylinder, I'm pretty sure no L-frame S&W has any recessed cylinder. I'm sure you know that, but it comes off a bit confusing in your post...as if an earlier model did have them.
My bad. I generally prefer non-recessed cylinders on go-to magnum revolvers, so I typed a little too generally without thinking specifically of the 686. Carry on.
Old February 13, 2013, 05:48 PM   #8
BigJimP

696 no dash or the dash 1's ....were recalled ...and they should all have the 686-M stamp on them ....

If yours does not have the 686-M overstamp on it...then it will hurt the value....
----------
If it has the 686-M overstamp on it ..../ I think the value on the no dash, dash 1's, dash 2's and dash 3's ....are all about the same.
----------
In the dash 4's ( 1993) ....they changed to Hogue rubber grips( which I'm not fond of )..and then in 1996 they deleted the Square Butt ( and I like the Sq Butt over the Round butt personally )....so the dash 4's to me...aren't too attractive....
----------
Dash 5's is when the MIM stuff starts showing up ...so I stay away from those too...
--------------------------------
Personally, I only have one 686 - and it was a dash 1 that was overstamped with a dash M .... / its a 6" gun ...and while its not my favorite S&W revolver ( like my K and N frames ) ...its been a good gun and I shoot it a little bit.../ but I shoot my K and N frames in .357 mag a lot more...
Old February 13, 2013, 06:57 PM   #9
spacecoast

I have and prefer the -4, drilled and tapped for a scope, no MIM, hammer mounted firing pin and no ILS of course.

My 629 classic DX is also a -4 and is a simply awesome revolver. Same features as the 686, only in .44mag.
Old February 14, 2013, 10:29 AM   #10
Viper225

Most on the S&W Forum consider the 686-4 to be the best. Last version with Forged Parts, and Traditional Hammer Mounted Firing Pin.

I have a 686-1 and a 686-5 Both are Power Custom Combats

I like them both very well.

The wife took over my 686-1 as her House Gun.

The 686-5 is the first one with Floating Firing Pin, and MIM Parts. The Cylinder Std was replaced with a much improved design. It has a pinned front sight. It is also the last without the LOC. My 686-5 is my SSR gun and it to me is about as good as it gets. Ron Power worked on it, and it runs like a Swiss Watch.

You will more than likely really like which ever one you end up with just fine.
As far as I am concerned their are No Bad 686's.

The Perfect 686 for me would be a 686-4 with 3" Barrel in a 6 Shooter. That is my Holy Grail Revolver at the moment.

Bob
Old February 14, 2013, 10:44 AM   #11
Slamfire

Wish I had kept mine. I traded it in for a Python plus lots of cash. Python a nice pistol but the 686 is a more robust mechanism.

I liked having the firing pin on the hammer. More positive ignition.
Old February 14, 2013, 01:03 PM   #12
Sevens

Quote:
The Cylinder Std was replaced with a much improved design.
It certainly is different looking -- but how is it improved or better for the end user? I've read that it streamlines manufacturing because it's part of the frame and not a part that must be put in to place. Should we assume that because of that...it "strengthens" the frame in some manner?

I suppose I am saying: of all the different quirks any S&W revolver has ever had over the century... I don't recall the old traditional cylinder stop being one of them.
Old February 14, 2013, 01:36 PM   #13
buck460XVR

I have a -4, a -5 and a -6. They all shoot very well and all have the same relative value to me. While the -6 would be the easiest to replace, it is the most accurate for me outta the three.
Old February 14, 2013, 01:49 PM   #14
Dave T

Quote:
For most desireable 686 I'd vote for the scarce CS1 variants.
I would have agreed with this as I have a 4" CS1 and it is an excellent gun. However, I have since acquired a 586 L-Comp and it has become my favorite shooter of the L-frames. The stainless version of that (686 Mag Comp - I think) would be the best one in answer to the OP. YMMV!

Dave
Old February 14, 2013, 02:51 PM   #15
Sevens

NOT AT ALL attempting to steer this toward a "mine's better than yours" but I would like to say that I simply do not care for the + guns with the extra 7th shot.

Now the 8-shot on the larger N-frame is interesting, but adding one single round to the classic L-frame is just -NOT- my taste. It takes some beef from the cylinder, it makes all my speedloaders un-usable and it's just an oddball round count that in my opinion only doesn't offer me anything I want, while taking away things I like.

I would say that if I never owned a revolver and it was to be my first, I'd be more drawn to the + model with 7 shots and that would make more sense to me. And I don't think the 7-shot revolvers are bad revolvers or even a bad idea.

But I can say honestly that I just don't care for them and I don't want to own one. I've got a 7-shot Taurus Model 66 (that I don't talk about much ) and there are things I like about it...but it being a 7-shot cylinder is one of those things I don't like about it. But I figured it's relevant to mention because I do have hands-on experience with a 7-shot, and a buddy's 686+ 4-inch as well.
Old February 14, 2013, 03:02 PM   #16
Microgunner

There's a rare "Hunter" model only made for two years I think. It's a six shot with un-fluted cylinder. Very rare for the six shot version.
Old February 14, 2013, 05:48 PM   #17
PPQ226guy

Well, i just picked up a virtually new 4" 686 + -5 No hole at a local fun store. It's my first S&W and so far I'm really liking it. Pics up later. I believe I should be ok with a steady diet of 357 mag...Right?

Last edited by PPQ226guy; February 14, 2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old February 14, 2013, 11:36 PM   #18
TxFlyFish

Id have to say the rare 686 CS-1 (3" or 4" but i don't remember which one is rarer) and the rare 686 Competitor with the barrel weight cut outs
Old February 15, 2013, 04:58 AM   #19
Sevens

Quote:
I believe I should be ok with a steady diet of 357 mag...Right?
GOOD GOD, NO!

That will kill you, especially those 125 grain slugs. Those are a death-ray, direct from God.

Your 686+ will do great with a steady diet of them, however!
Old February 15, 2013, 01:44 PM   #20
drail

Avoid regular range use of light weight (110-125 gr) bullets. They will flame cut the forcing cone and top strap on any revolver. The gun will have a much longer life if you stay above 135 - 140 gr. loads.
Old February 15, 2013, 11:31 PM   #21
Nullcone

I'm not sure they are outright collectible, but:

I like the way the 3 inch models handle, kind of "Commander" -ish

The Stocking Dealer Special 5 inch from a while back is elegant.

The models w/ the adjustable front sight are... different. Me likey.

And I just picked up an SSR 4 inch, nice shooter. Not 100% sold on looks yet.