The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 21, 2018, 04:19 PM   #1
mehavey

CABELAS' New Business Model

After a short/rainy RSO duty day, I took the drive out to the local/new Cabelas on the way home. I had intended to do nothing more than pick up a few plastic 357 ammo boxes for reloads -- and maybe look at any new toys that might drag me over to look.

Instead I found the reloading/component/equip section to have been reduced into an area 1/2 the size of just 10 days ago, few ammo boxes remained (none 357), and all of the ammunition/component/supply shelves now crowded into maybe 1/3 the former area.

I happened to look for the primers area (short-stocked for months now) and instead found nothing... cobwebs.

So a young/very pleasant staffer came by and I asked where the primers were. "We're out of stock" was his reply. So I asked "when will you get your next shipment in?"

Again very pleasant... he couldn't say... that BassPro's business model was that the clothing line had a higher profit margin... and reloading/ammunition re-supply would largely go static until the new model was stabilized... that BassPro's accountants

SO CABELAS... IF this is your new business model; and IF you/your corporate staff are reading/following these threads.... follow Edward Demmings first rule of total quality management as told to me by the great man Himself now 28 years ago:

"Don't do anything stupid...."
and instead, rethink this model.

Last edited by mehavey; July 22, 2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old July 21, 2018, 04:25 PM   #2
NoSecondBest

I'm not disputing what you're saying, but I've been in a lot of Bass Pro Shops around the country and never found them to be behind Cabela's in guns, reloading supplies, or anything else Cabela's carried. In fact, they were usually better stocked than Cabela's was in their bigger stores. My local Cabela's has zip for inventory....it's smaller store.
Old July 21, 2018, 04:42 PM   #3
JeepHammer

I don't buy 'Gucci-Flage', so I won't shop at either for clothing.
The idea of 'Hunting Chic' totally baffles me...

Prices are high, selection very limited, the stuff I like is never in stock, the sales staff is clueless around here, and it's impossible to get them to order anything I actually want, even if it's on their web site or sales fliers.

I stick with the LGS or volume sales off the internet.
Old July 21, 2018, 05:18 PM   #4
GeorgeandSugar

I'll be stopping into my local Cabala's to see what is going on. I have a gift card to use. My purchases general revolve around powder, ammo, reloading supplies, targets and now-and-then socks. Everything else doesn't much interest me. Cabela's is pricey for me, unless it is on sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 21, 2018, 05:36 PM   #5
gwpercle

Thanks for the heads up...I have several Cabala's Gift Cards as all my family knew I liked to shop there and get powder , primers and all manner of reloading stuff....nothing like having gift cards to a store that carries nothing you want. Going there tomorrow and will see if I can find anything....RATS !
Gary
Old July 21, 2018, 06:57 PM   #6
Pahoo

My Cabelas card will have to take a nap.

All of us who are Cabela's Club members recently received a letter about some of the changes. A big one for me is that we will be switched a Visa card to a Capital-one card. I talked to one of their representative and asked him if he knew that Capital-One took the buy out and if our gift cards were still good. He replied yes to both. Looks like I will have to start using another rewards card.

Be Safe !!!
Old July 21, 2018, 07:51 PM   #7
Dufus

Ever wonder what took Gander Mountain down?? Was it the search for profit?

Bass Pro Shop has nothing in clothing that I want at those prices.

I went into a Gander Mountain when they opened a store in this area. Still quite a drive for me. I was thinking hunting jacket. There was a sale going on and I thought I had one. When I found the one I liked was only $486.00, I figgered I'd go see what someone else had. That was the only time I was in that store.

I have never been inside a Cabela's.
Old July 21, 2018, 08:29 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I'm not disputing what you're saying, but I've been in a lot of Bass Pro Shops around the country and never found them to be behind Cabela's in guns, reloading supplies, or anything else Cabela's carried. In fact, they were usually better stocked than Cabela's was in their bigger stores. My local Cabela's has zip for inventory....it's smaller store.
Different stores. Different regions. Different approaches.
I've never been in a Bass Pro that had enough reloading equipment and components to even be worth mentioning.

Reloading desires aside...
Cabela's lost me about 8 years ago (after only about 2 years of infrequent patronage).
Bass Pro never had me.
Scheels is a joke.
Gander Mountain was comically bad and astronomically over-priced.

Sportsman's Warehouse has their own set of problems, but they still find ways to get my money.
Old July 21, 2018, 08:59 PM   #9
FITASC

Quote:
SO CABELAS... if you/your corporate staff are reading/following these threads.... follow Edward Demmings first rule of total quality management as told to me by the great man Himself now 28 years ago:

"Don't be stupid."
+1

Deming was smart; Johnny Morris made BASS a success; but he will kill Cabela's.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 21, 2018, 09:17 PM   #10
Tsquared

I have a Bass Pro 15 minutes away and Cabelas about an hour away. Bass Pro will be pricey and have limited reloading supplies. Cabelas with have a sale on something reloading wise. I stocked up on primers every time the price on the S&B primers were less than $22 a brick and stocked up on my powders every time they were $20 per pound or less. I could find better projectiles elsewhere. Both Bass Pro and Cabelas could do better.
Old July 21, 2018, 09:56 PM   #11
jmr40

I've never found much in either BPS or Cabelas gun related worth fooling around with. The one exception is a used Tikka CTR that I found in Cabelas a few months ago. I've always been able to do better at smaller local shops for guns or loading supplies. And if it doesn't involve hazmat fees almost anything else gun related is much cheaper online with a little research. If both stores completely got out of the firearms business it wouldn't effect me at all.

About the only thing I buy from either of them, including Gander Mt before they went under was clothing and camping gear. The name brand stuff is about the same price in all of them. But I've always found Cabelas store brand stuff to be significantly better than than BPS store branded items. There isn't a single pair of boots offered by BPS that I'd own. My Cabelas Alaskan Guide tent is top quality, and was at a very good price.

I used to have to order everything from Cabelas but within the last few years 2 have been built within driving distances. They are some of the smaller stores, but I've found some very good deals in the bargain caves in both of them.

Winston Churchill
Old July 21, 2018, 10:55 PM   #12
kmw1954

I've got a thread going on this topic on 2 other gun forums. I shop the Cabela's store in Hoffman Estates Illinois for reloading supplies and odds'n ends. With the quantities I was buying the prices on powders and primers was reasonable when compared to an online order and paying shipping and hazmat fees. Plus this store was usually very well stocked and I could just pop in and get what I needed. Also they would have good sales on Berry's or Xtreme bullets quite regularly so I would stock up then. Again with the sales it was cheaper than ordering them online.

My feeling is Bass Pro Shops is not interested in any of the Shooting Sports. Primary business is the Sport fishing and Tournament Fishing Lines then followed by High end Campers. I get the feeling they think they are the Lands End of the camping world.

They Deal in the gun sales end and ammunition sales because the profit margin is there and they needed to compete with both Cabela's and Gander Mountain at the time. Now Gander is gone and they bought out Cabela's! They are in control of their market.

Believe it or not but Gander Mountain started in Wilmot Wisconsin which is a small unincorporated town. It was a small place selling bait and tackle. In the early 70's they expanded and added a gun shop with a gunsmith and brought in some camping supplies. It was a nice local place with reasonable prices. That is until they decided to compete with Cabela's catalog sales!

If Bass Pro continues with these moves to away from what Cabela's was I see it as the end for Cabela's.
Old July 22, 2018, 12:02 AM   #13
GilaDan

Most of you are expressing my own thoughts about BPS and Cabelas. Our Cabelas here in New Mexico is only 7 or 8 months old. Decent reloading supplies but a little pricey compared to our Sportsman Warehouse (SW).

I found myself torn on which to support but came back to Sportsman Warehouse for a couple of reasons. One is their generally better prices on powder and primers. Secondly, and significant is how SW handled the powder, primer, and .22 ammo crisis not that long ago. Every Friday we could line up 2 hrs before their opening and get a chance to purchase these items if available. I felt fortunate to at least have this opportunity and was able to stay somewhat stocked up. In addition, their prices were not jacked up. This earned a pretty strong loyalty from me.

Reloading and bullet casting are such a treasure to me. I try not to be 'manic' about it but nothing is more satisfying than seeing a box of reloads of any caliber to go test. Or that batch of new shiny bullets after a casting session. Ssshhh, what's wrong with me?
Old July 22, 2018, 06:49 AM   #14
Road_Clam

Cabelas is doomed if this is the new Bass Pro corporate "model" Nearest Cabelas from me is about 1.5 hr one way. The wife and I make it a couples "road trip". Were both shooters, and we enjoy some of the better quality items (non shooting). If I do observe that Cabelas is purposely transitioning away from shooting just to make more room for chic sneakers and sweaters from malaysia with the intent for higher profitability than i'm done with them, just like i'm done with Dick's.
Old July 22, 2018, 12:31 PM   #15
Pahoo

When push comes to shove

Quote:
Reloading desires aside...
Cabela's lost me about 8 years ago (after only about 2 years of infrequent patronage).
Bass Pro never had me.
Scheels is a joke.
Gander Mountain was comically bad and astronomically over-priced.
My sentiments to a "T". It all got narrowed down to Cabela's and now will have to shop on the internet. I still have Midway but wonder for how long …

Be Safe !!!
Old July 22, 2018, 01:10 PM   #16
marchboom

With the way Bass Pro (thru Cablea's) treats their outfitters the service is only going to get worse. Benefits taken away, low pay, long time experienced Cabela's employees fired so they can hire new people at beginning wages, most positions are part time, no more employee discounts except on only a very few Cablea's branded clothing items, firings at the drop of a hat, etc. Who would want to work under those conditions?

Cabela's and BPS might just go the way of stores that were put out of business by Home Depot and Lowes. No frills, no expensive taxidermy and animal scenes, no fish tanks, etc. Just a warehouse like atmosphere with lower prices. It's the times we live in. People want good stuff cheap and don't really care about all the frills...IMO.
RSO
Old July 22, 2018, 02:32 PM   #17
kmw1954

So I will now have to keep an eye on a new small chain store, BIG R. They've had 2 stores open within a half hour drive in opposite directions. They are sort of a general store but they do have gun sales and carry some reloading stuff like powders and Winchester primers. Only just like Bass Pro Shops they only sell by the sleeve.
Old July 22, 2018, 03:21 PM   #18
Dufus

The BPS north of San Antonio has a very good selection of reloading tools and supplies. They have some over priced powders, mostly Hodgdon's line up including IMR and Winchester. Components are varied with Hornady being dominant 2:1 over Nosler. They have Starline brass, lots of primers if you don't mind $4/100 and even BP substitute. Lots of guns and archery stuff. They have tons of loaded ammo. All on the second level. All the fishing stuff is on the first floor. They have some good cookware and sausage making supplies. I don't go there much as it is a good drive for me.

Bottom line is, they have it if you don't mind paying premium prices for it.

Might mention that their firearms have a significant mark up but Henry rifles are as good as anyone's.
Old July 22, 2018, 03:24 PM   #19
gwpercle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
Thanks for the heads up...I have several Cabala's Gift Cards as all my family knew I liked to shop there and get powder , primers and all manner of reloading stuff....nothing like having gift cards to a store that carries nothing you want. Going there tomorrow and will see if I can find anything....RATS !
Gary
Went to the Cabela's after lunch with all my gift cards. This one is about 15 miles South of Baton Rouge. There is also a Bass Pro Shop about 15 miles West of Baton Rouge.

At Cabela's everything in the reloading , shooting and gun section seemed the same.
I purchased pistol powders: Bullseye, Red Dot , Acc No.2, HP-38 and Unique. Seemed to have a little more powder than usual . Found large pistol primers. No small pistol primers whatsoever. 38/357 and 380/9mm clear plastic ammo boxes (100) shelf was loaded so I got one each. stacks of 22 LR ammo, got 325 round box of Federal Target Grade , there was no sign this time saying "2 box limit" .
I really didn't Need all this right now....but since a certain political election a few years ago and the ensuing shortages of powder, primers and 22 LR ammo it triggered. I have become totally paranoid of it happening again. Not if...but when. The next election is almost here , therefore I'm buying and hoarding all the reloading supplies I can.
I have learned...if it's on the shelf ....Buy it !
Gary
Old July 22, 2018, 03:32 PM   #20
hounddawg

I gave up on big box sporting good stores long ago. Most of the local stores are more into the skeet/trap and tactical shooting so that leaves me with the net
Old July 22, 2018, 04:56 PM   #21
RC20

Cabella's in Anchorage is going the way of Bass Pro. They are reducing the reloading end.

Power is pretty small (at one time good) and 1 lb and not 8 lb jugs (I only buy 1 pound to try, both the price and the carry through make 8 lb the way to go IMNSHO.

Bass Pro pretty well sucks for re-loading there. One 40 foot shelf, little powder, few components, all over priced. I have bought one item from them they had oddly enough (Hornday bullet puller) go figure.

Have to see if both places "adjust"

Sportsmans is the only place you can buy large jugs of powder and in a variety.

So get I get Primers at Cabellas as best price, Powder at Sportsman's and pretty much order the rest. USPS flat rate is our friend. You can't get Haz shipped to AK at any sane level.

Oddly enough, back in the day when Longs Drug Stores were expanding, (80s) they had the best sporting goods section in Anchorage.

Camping, fishing, guns, reloading you name it. A lot of my gear is from them.

The CA rep came up, tried to figure out why they were doing so good, he was shocked at the Sporting section.

That is what makes money up here. So of course they eventually decided that was not a good idea and closed down the sporting good section and shortly after all the profits went South and the closed the stores as they went from best performing to worst.

Corporations are stupid, they want to rubber stamp things and be identical. Works for things like UPS, FedEx, McDonalds etc, but Drug Stores? Dime a dozen.

Pat N Pack and Pay in Save back in the day were the same, more guns, ammo and some reloading stuff, but they had a large Camping fishing sections.

Local trumps the rubber stamps unless the Corp is dumb and we can only wait and see.

I wear Jeans and T shirts. Helly Hanson back when I had motorcycle. Cheap rain gear to bicycle with.

An REI guy insisted I had to wear spandex if I was going to pedal! Really? John Wayne did not wear spandex and I am not either.
Old July 22, 2018, 08:04 PM   #22
rdgantt

I have stopped going to my local Bass Pro for pretty much anything shooting related. I typically find empty shelves in the reloading section. I found a small local gun shop that carries a decent supply of reloading materials and usually at a better price than what Bass Pro has. My point is patronize your local gun shop.
Old July 22, 2018, 08:53 PM   #23
WV_gunner

The Cabela’s here is about an hour away, the gun section is the only thing worth looking at. And it’s usually overpriced. They carry some oddball ammo. The ultra mainstream stuff was cheap but anything else was pricey. I wasn’t into reloading the last time I was there but they had a few aisles. The Cabela’s a few hours away dwarfs the one close to home. The one an hour away is probably Walmart size but the one in Wheeling you could probably get lost in. Bass Pro Shop isn’t even in my state to my knowledge. I’ve been to 4 of them and bought a gun from the Oprymill store. Those stores tend to be in malls it seems. Gander Mountain? That place is like Dicks but with a slightly bigger gun and ammo section. I once asked to special order 10 gauge shells and they didn’t know what 10 gauge was. They said 12 gauge was the biggest shotgun. I understand employees probably aren’t trained anymore than to use the register but take an interest. You work there and sell the stuff, try learning it. Where I work there’s zero real training. If people are busy, you’re on your own. Gotta learn the product and in my case operate machines that could potentially waste expensive products. The best gun stores I’ve learned are the small ones. There’s one about an hour from here, I believe called St. Albans Gun and Archery. Best prices I’ve ever seen. I shop there as much as I can.
Old July 22, 2018, 11:43 PM   #24
math teacher

I have always found a better selection of reloading supplies with better prices at Sportsman's Warehouse than at either Cabelas or Bass Pro Shop.
Old July 23, 2018, 12:20 AM   #25
kmw1954

Math teacher that's not much of a solution for those that do not have a Sportsman's Warehouse within 300mi.. Also their prices are not any better than Cabela's every day prices from what I just seen when I went and looked at primers and powders.