The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 28, 2018, 01:24 AM   #1
TruthTellers

Is .450 Bushmaster: best big bore AR cartridge?

Because I'm building my first AR's I'm constantly thinking about other uppers I might want and the idea of a big bore thumper with medium to large game ability is starting to gain momentum in my cerebrum.

Of the three big bore cartridges I know that can run in an AR-15, those being the Bushmaster, .458 SOCOM, and .50 Beowulf, the Bushmaster seems easiest to get into given it's ease of reloading, cost of reloading, and relative popularity.

Performance wise, how do these three cartridges stack up against one another for hunting? What about combat or home defense?
Old July 28, 2018, 01:40 AM   #2
stagpanther

6 of one--half dozen of the other--I chose to go with 458 socom due to having a bit of a shoulder and more "rifle-like" bullets--and the history of refinement under Teppo Jutsu and Tony Remore. My build has run like a top and is surprisingly accurate at 100 yds. I built a frankengun with mixed parts but highly recommend going with Tromix or Teppo. It is a bit of a thumper--sorta like launching a 45-70 from an AR. Haven't hunted mine yet--but with something like a ton and a quarter of energy at the muzzle I suspect it's gonna hammer whatever it hits at closer ranges.

Last edited by stagpanther; July 28, 2018 at 01:46 AM.
Old July 28, 2018, 02:10 AM   #3
bamaranger

back issues

There was an excellent article in the "American Rifleman" in the past year or so that addressed the big bore AR cartridges. If it wasn't in the Rifleman, it was in Rifle.
Old July 28, 2018, 05:27 AM   #4
Capt Rick Hiott

I called Tony at Tromix and went with the .458 SOCOM
Great set-up