The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 11, 2010, 11:41 PM   #1
Wrothgar

Possibly moving to Kentucky

So what are the gun laws like there (Lexington in particular). I've got a conceal carry permit in Texas; what would I do to get one in Kentucky? I've been googling and googling and can't find any actual information about classes, as in a place that actually offers classes.

Also, I want to avoid limbo. It appears that you have to live in Kentucky 6 months before getting your CHL (and a KY residency as well, I'm guessing). However, once I move out of Texas and my address on my license is no longer valid, them my CHL is no longer valid, correct? Will I be forced into at least 6 months (probably more for them to process the class) of defenseless limbo?
Old February 12, 2010, 10:17 AM   #2
RDak

That's how it is in Michigan also. Six month wait and you are in limbo.

I read the pertinent sections of the Kentucky firearms statutes and it appears you have the same residency requirements as in Michigan. Sorry for the bad news.
Old February 12, 2010, 10:38 AM   #3
Pilot

Could your TX CCW cover you in KY until your residency requirement is complete?
Old February 12, 2010, 10:42 AM   #4
leadcounsel

I work in Kentucky. Gun laws here (and tax laws) are among the best in the nation. Google handgun laws for several websites that explain the laws of the states.

I move around a lot for my job and have lived in 6 different states in the last 3 years! I found the best way to ensure no 'limbo' is to take the multi-state concealed carry course and get nonresident concealed carry permits from Florida, Utah, New Hampshire, and Pennsylvania. Any one of those, or several, will give you permission in most states (I think some 30 states honor them). Then you won't be in limbo.

Good luck.
Old February 12, 2010, 10:44 AM   #5
lebyrn2

CCW in KY

If your referring to carry laws, KY is one of the more lenient states regarding carrying. There are tons of instructors and classes in KY. Most of them are concentrated in the major cities (i.e Lexington and Louisville). I actually took my concealed carry course in Lexington. Regarding whether or not your Texas CHL carries over to KY I personally dont know. There are alot of great websites out there dealing with similiar issues.
Old February 12, 2010, 11:06 AM   #6
Wrothgar

Good gun laws? I read that you cannot conceal carry in your own house in KY without a license; is that true?

On whether my Texas CHL will carry over, I guess I'll have to call Texas DPS and just ask them.
Old February 12, 2010, 08:28 PM   #7
KyJim

Quote:
I read that you cannot conceal carry in your own house in KY without a license; is that true?
That's probably literally true in every state which does not allow concealed carry without a license (almost all states). Kentucky is an open carry state with a "shall issue" CCL. The Kentucky State Police run the CCL system and they have information available on their website. Firearms stored in the glovbox of an auto are not considered to be concealed.

Lexington is probably no different than most medium sized cities. If you go walking down the middle of downtown openly carrying for no obvious reason (e.g., a nearby gunshow), you may get stopped and asked questions. However, I wouldn't expect any major problems (still, you never know).

Several good gun stores in Lexington -- Classic Firearms and Archery, Evans Firearms and Archery, and Antique and Modern Firearms. Bud's has a retail outlet in Lexington.

The closest public range is the indoor pay range at Bud's in Paris (about 15 min. north of Lexington). The National Park Service has open (free) ranges near Morehead and near London -- both an hour or more from Lexington. You might also be interested in Bluegrass Sportsmen's League which has about 1,200 acres for members only with several ranges and pits for IDPA shooting if that's your thing.
Old February 12, 2010, 11:16 PM   #8
wally626

Don't know about Kentucky in particular but some states have exemptions that allow persons without permits to conceal carry on their own property.
Old February 13, 2010, 12:51 AM   #9
rcurry

Hello Wrothgar and welcome to Kentucky if that possible move takes place. Heck, welcome to Kentucky if you just come for a vacation or visit!

As for the gun laws I believe our state is simply a common sense state. The Ky. State Police link that KyJim posted is suburb in helping you sort out any questions you may have. IANAL although I do think your good to carry while in transition finding a home, job etc.
From KSP web site: “Effective, July 15, 1998, Kentucky recognizes valid carry concealed weapons licenses issued by other states and, subject to the provisions of Kentucky law, a person holding a valid license from another state may carry a concealed deadly weapon in Kentucky.” (The great state of Texas is included)

You could contact the Sheriff in Lexington Kentucky (Fayette County http://www.fayettesheriff.com/) and ask for guidance. There may or may not be any way around the six months wait on concealed carry. Open carry is a different matter.

I don’t believe you will have any trouble finding a class to get your permit. In my area of Kentucky I called one of the local instructors and ask when the next class was being held. He asks when I wanted it to be held. Back then I was off on Wednesday. So two days later I’m in class being given the instructors' undivided attention. I say undivided because I was the sole member of the class. He could have put me on hold to wait for the class to fill up but didn’t. Kentucky does have some really nice people!

Not be able to conceal in your own home if you choose to in Ky. ???? Where did you hear such a thing?
Old February 13, 2010, 07:35 PM   #10
Wrothgar

I read that law from the linked website (I had found it myself but it did not look official; good to know that it is indeed official).
Old February 14, 2010, 09:38 AM   #11
Kreyzhorse

www.handgunlaw.us is a good site for various state CCW info.

As far as Kentucky, it's just about the best state for gun laws and CCW. It also appears that Kentucky honors a Texas CCW license but since you would become a resident of Kentucky, you'll have to research how that will work.